The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun Speculation] Canucks Ready for Re-tool

Blueberries

He won't trade for a rental but would he trade for Callahan with an intend to re-sign him? I've heard somewhere (I forgot where) but a few teams asked to speak to his agent, wondering if Vancouver is one of them.

But then reading this, Gillis is trying to get younger so I guess that answers my own question.

In some ways I agree with you, but your hate for Edler is becoming so blatant that it's not even funny.

Well I wouldn't hate him if he could play defense. The bottom line is a guy who can't score and is a human pylon is completely useless to an NHL team. He's had almost two years since he came back from his surgery and he's been a complete liability. Cap space>>>>>>>>Edler.

I shudder to think what the return might be.. Just a terrible season to be moving him. Talk about moving your assests at the worst time.

He keeps getting progressively worse though. If he doesn't start playing like an NHLer in his own end he'll be buyout material soon. Regular buyout, Yashin style.

I believe that if the Islanders can find some stable goaltending, they can be a contender in the east. I'd even put them near the top of the Metropolitan.

Before the start of the season I thought that they were a playoff team. Analyzing now I believe that they are just a goaltender away. Vanek - Tavares - Okposo is one of the hottest lines in hockey right now. I believe that they have stable D as well. Miller on the Islanders I think would make some noise.

Yup, I keep questioning why people say Luongo wouldn't garner a 1st and a top prospect from the Isles and the Panthers when goal tending puts them into serious playoff position and or possible playoff contention.

People may not think they're worth that but when an owner see tens of millions in playoff revenue as a possibility, that deal gets done

This has been coming for awhile. Our core was built to compete for the Stanley Cup from 2009-2012. We had some great years in there. Like most on here I don't think we need to go full rebuild or anything but we need to trade some assets that we have, mainly Kesler & Edler so that we can get younger and remain competitive.

Not saying it's possible but if we could trade Alex Edler for Ryan O'Reilly we should do that. Then I think we should take advantage of the Flyers love affair with Kesler, if we can get two of Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier we jump at that. The ideal 2 players coming back being Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek. We would have to throw in more for these types of deals to go through, especially on the Philadelphia deal, probably Jannik Hansen or Burrows. Basically on the out is:

Alex Edler, 27 turning 28

Ryan Kesler, 29 turning 30

Coming in:

Ryan O'Reilly, 22 turning 23

Wayne Simmonds, 25 turning 26

or

Jakub Voracek, 24 turning 25

or

Brayden Schenn, 22 turning 23

or

Sean Couturier, 21 turning 22

This keeps us competitive and gets us younger. I'm not against trading for draft picks or prospects like Mantha, but people on here thinking we have any chance of a McDavid are out to lunch. How many times has the team with the 1st overall pick ended up trading it, we still have enough pieces that it isn't possible for us to tank that bad.

Yeah, just not a compliance buyout. Any GM who willingly takes on Edler's contract is an idiot.

OK....ya just showed a little idiocy in your post. The guy is still a top 4 D with huge upside on ANY team in the league. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement cause that was just a silly comment

This has been coming for awhile. Our core was built to compete for the Stanley Cup from 2009-2012. We had some great years in there. Like most on here I don't think we need to go full rebuild or anything but we need to trade some assets that we have, mainly Kesler & Edler so that we can get younger and remain competitive.

Not saying it's possible but if we could trade Alex Edler for Ryan O'Reilly we should do that. Then I think we should take advantage of the Flyers love affair with Kesler, if we can get two of Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier we jump at that. The ideal 2 players coming back being Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek. We would have to throw in more for these types of deals to go through, especially on the Philadelphia deal, probably Jannik Hansen or Burrows. Basically on the out is:

Alex Edler, 27 turning 28

Ryan Kesler, 29 turning 30

Coming in:

Ryan O'Reilly, 22 turning 23

Wayne Simmonds, 25 turning 26

or

Jakub Voracek, 24 turning 25

or

Brayden Schenn, 22 turning 23

or

Sean Couturier, 21 turning 22

This keeps us competitive and gets us younger. I'm not against trading for draft picks or prospects like Mantha, but people on here thinking we have any chance of a McDavid are out to lunch. How many times has the team with the 1st overall pick ended up trading it, we still have enough pieces that it isn't possible for us to tank that bad.

PLease No Simmonds. That would be the ultimate insult as the pick we traded way back when....is Simmonds

Yup, I keep questioning why people say Luongo wouldn't garner a 1st and a top prospect from the Isles and the Panthers when goal tending puts them into serious playoff position and or possible playoff contention.

People may not think they're worth that but when an owner see tens of millions in playoff revenue as a possibility, that deal gets done

I still think Florida is still not stable in some positions though. They don't have an elite player in either offence, defence or goaltending, their centre depth is simply not good enough, and I don't think they have the right mix of veterans with young players, even with the likes of Goc and Jovanovski.

The difference with the Islanders and Panthers for me is that I think the Islanders are one or two pieces away while I think the Panthers will still have a lot of growing pains to go through. Florida does have a good foundation of youth though.

OK....ya just showed a little idiocy in your post. The guy is still a top 4 D with huge upside on ANY team in the league. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement cause that was just a silly comment

Top 4 D? He can't score, has terrible speed, loves going for leisurely skates in his own zone, and gets turnstiled more than New York subway passengers. You wanna pay 5 mil for a defenseman who's either too stupid or too lazy to play defense?

Archived