The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

As long as we don't give up picks for any rental I'm fine with so given our injuries I'm happy with this trade. Our bottom 6 as people have pointed out is loaded with similar talent so losing Weise isn't a major hit. I doubt an Edler trade is coming until after the break and we see the timetable on return of our other D men

Diaz is an improvement over Weber, and Weise has been arguably our least impressive forward over the past 20 games.

I'll take it.

Plus we have 9 Olympians now :towel:

Diaz likely is an improvement on Weber in certain areas but I don't know that he's a clear win when picking between the two. We'll have to see what he does in all areas of the ice before I jump too high.

I didn't have any problem with Weise (good points this year, not sure what other depth we have for 4th line RW'ers) but the way both players were seeing the press box, it makes sense from that perspective that there'd be a trade.

Just wondering what Diaz brings to the table that Weber doesn't or didn't? Could this be the prelude to an Edler trade?

I mentioned that in my previous post that a follow up trade might happen as we get healthy. What I wonder though is how everyone fits together since this gives us too many right side guys, even without including Garrison as a part of that group. Maybe Weber sees more time in the press box again once everyone's healthy, and Garrison is moved back to the left side, so that could mean a trade of a LH defenceman instead. I guess we'll see.

I could see Alberts being waived after this.

As for the move, solid trade for both teams. Vancouver get's what they want and need and same goes for Montreal. With Weber though, doesn't really make sense to add Diaz in that respect, very similar players.

Can't waive Alberts while he's injured. He's a left side guy anyway, so I don't think this impacts him much.

I think the best upside in this trade is probably more playing time for Archibald and/or Lain. Will probably be full time 4th liner next year, AHL stint probably over for 1 of them, maybe both.

I was thinking Archibald would be back up after the Olympic break. Lain looks a bit like a deer in the headlights out there a lot of the time, he needs more time in the AHL.

Weise really had no role on this team. Which is sad, because this team is always criticised for it's lack of size, which he has.

If he could ever improve his speed and consistency, he might still develop as a big guy who can put a puck or two in the net, like a poor man's Taylor Pyatt. But I don't blame Torts for showing him the door twice.

Hey maybe this means Kassian will have to drop 'em more.

I mentioned that in my previous post that a follow up trade might happen as we get healthy. What I wonder though is how everyone fits together since this gives us too many right side guys, even without including Garrison as a part of that group. Maybe Weber sees more time in the press box again once everyone's healthy, and Garrison is moved back to the left side, so that could mean a trade of a LH defenceman instead. I guess we'll see.

Tanev or Edler? Tanev or Edler?..we wait and see.

I've still got a shiny nickel that Tanev's odd man out unfortunately. He just works on too many levels.

Classic Buy Low, Sell High move by Gillis.

Expiring contract for expiring contract and fills an immediate need, while also potentially facilitating a high profile D-Man trade.

Diaz eats up a little more cap, but that should be offset by waiving Alberts to Utica.

I like this trade, Dale Weise likely was not being re-signed by the Canucks in the off season.

Waiving a player to the farm team doesn't actually alleviate cap space. It still sits on the team's payroll and you're paying an NHL salary for them to play in the AHL - if they're on a one-way contract. If a player is on a two-way contract, you can pay the AHL rate. Regardless, the only time when there's cap relief when you waive someone is when another team picks it up.

Weise really had no role on this team. Which is sad, because this team is always criticised for it's lack of size, which he has.

If he could ever improve his speed and consistency, he might still develop as a big guy who can put a puck or two in the net, like a poor man's Taylor Pyatt. But I don't blame Torts for showing him the door twice.

Hey maybe this means Kassian will have to drop 'em more.

Weise looked like he didnt have the desire to give it his all evey single shift and thats pretty much the most important thing to have for a 4th liner.

Hopefully diaz fits in. Ya never know.

Waiving a player to the farm team doesn't actually alleviate cap space. It still sits on the team's payroll and you're paying an NHL salary for them to play in the AHL - if they're on a one-way contract. If a player is on a two-way contract, you can pay the AHL rate. Regardless, the only time when there's cap relief when you waive someone is when another team picks it up.

Alberts falls under the $900k (at $600K) cap relief we would actually get. That said, I'm pretty sure we have space without having to move Alberts anyway especially if we take advantage of LTIR cap relief at some point.

second time dale has been traded off of tort's team. must be some bad blood between the two :bigblush:

Well, he was claimed off waivers by us the first time and the Rangers were quoted as saying it was just a by-product of too many roster players and they hoped he'd clear. He didn't get much of a chance to play under Torts at that point but certainly did this time around.

We can't waive Alberts while he's injured. If once healthy we decide to do so his cap won't affect us at the NHL level any more. His cap hit falls under the $925K limit this year so is fully exempted.

Wrong,when a player is sent down their cap hit is reduced by 900k if their salary is less it is just wiped off the cap completely

Tanev or Edler? Tanev or Edler?..we wait and see.

I've still got a shiny nickel that Tanev's odd man out unfortunately. He just works on too many levels.

I've got to agree with you. Tanev, although liked by all, as you said "works on too many levels." Cheap, young, and is playing very well. His return would be higher than his worth at this point. The injury doesn't help, so perhaps it's a draft day trade.

Incorrect. One-way contracts only mean the player will still be paid at an NHL rate. However, if a player makes above $900,000, anything in excess of that figure will count against the cap. For example, Booth's cap hit in the minors would be $3,350,000.

Archived