The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lol women's hockey forever a joke. Sweden outshot 70-9

I don't think it will be forever. Several teams are closing the gap.

Sweden just happened to upset Finland. I have a feeling the Finland would have been able to put up a much better fight against the Americans.

Just looking over the medal count from Vancouver in 2010 and up to now and there is no way Canada duplicates what they did here..26 total in 2010 and 14 gold.we finished first in Gold in Vancouver..as of now we have 4 gold and even if we win both hockey golds and both curling, still no way come close..

We have 15 total medals now and to be honest I cant see another 11 medals being won by Canada.........the Netherlands won 8 medals in Vancouver and already have 17.

Just thought it was interesting, and who knows what could happen.

I would consider the Sochi Olympics a success for Canada. Just goes to show how incredibly well Canada performed in Vancouver. Tough to ever replicate again.

lol women's hockey forever a joke. Sweden outshot 70-9

Forever a joke?

Team Sweden knocked off the World silver medal winning Finns to make the semis.

Team Switzerland only qualified for the Olympics in 06 and now they're playing for a bronze medal

Japan qualified for the Olympics for the first time since 1998 and they kept every game they played close in scores

The sport is less than 20 years old in the Olympics. Improvements are needed. 70-9 shots on goal is obviously not a desired result. But we have to give it a fair chance and fair funding. The sport already has done so much with so little

Just looking over the medal count from Vancouver in 2010 and up to now and there is no way Canada duplicates what they did here..26 total in 2010 and 14 gold.we finished first in Gold in Vancouver..as of now we have 4 gold and even if we win both hockey golds and both curling, still no way come close..

We have 15 total medals now and to be honest I cant see another 11 medals being won by Canada.........the Netherlands won 8 medals in Vancouver and already have 17.

Just thought it was interesting, and who knows what could happen.

Well yeah it was a home-field advantage for Canada. You can't really expect them to duplicate that kind of success 4 years later in a foreign country. Besides they have done pretty well so far and it isn't over yet; they'll definitely finish in the top 5 medal count.

I can't stream any videos on CBC/TSN using Google Chrome. No issues with IE. Anybody else have the same issue or know how to correct the problem?

Had the same problem using windows 8. Tried a different machine running windows 7 and it worked. Try and use desktop version of chrome. Change it in settings. Shot in the dark but might work.

Well yeah it was a home-field advantage for Canada. You can't really expect them to duplicate that kind of success 4 years later in a foreign country. Besides they have done pretty well so far and it isn't over yet; they'll definitely finish in the top 5 medal count.

Not expecting anything really,,just passing along the medal counts...actually there is something to be said for home field advantage..Russia had 3 gold and 15 total medals in Vancouver and so far at home in Sochi, they have 5 gold and 18 total medals.

Had the same problem using windows 8. Tried a different machine running windows 7 and it worked. Try and use desktop version of chrome. Change it in settings. Shot in the dark but might work.

Thanks! I'll try that. Chrome was working on my work computer today (shhhh), so maybe its the fact that my laptop is using the non-desktop windows 8.1 version that is the issue.

There was a French article before the Ice Dance competition that said the fix was in.

SOCHI, Russia — Who says the United States and Russia cannot get along?

Forget the chilly relationship between President Obama and his counterpart, Vladimir V. Putin.

Forget the kerfuffle that has left American athletes without a certain Greek yogurt in the Olympic Village.

In ice dancing, the United States and Russia could not be chummier, according to a report in a French sports newspaper. Ah, Olympic ice dancing, an event with more scandals than sequins.

On Saturday, the United States Figure Skating Association denied as “categorically false” a report in the newspaper, L’Équipe, that America and Russia were conspiring to rig the pairs and ice dancing competitions at the Sochi Games at the expense of Canada.

A pause for explanation: There are two figure skating competitions at these Olympics. The new team event concludes Sunday. Then the traditional disciplines — men’s, women’s, pairs and ice dancing — will commence.

According to L’Équipe, which quoted an unnamed Russian coach, the United States intended to help Russia win the overall team event and the pairs competition. In return, Russia would make sure the Americans Charlie White and Meryl Davis won the ice dancing competition

There was a French article before the Ice Dance competition that said the fix was in.

SOCHI, Russia — Who says the United States and Russia cannot get along?

Forget the chilly relationship between President Obama and his counterpart, Vladimir V. Putin.

Forget the kerfuffle that has left American athletes without a certain Greek yogurt in the Olympic Village.

In ice dancing, the United States and Russia could not be chummier, according to a report in a French sports newspaper. Ah, Olympic ice dancing, an event with more scandals than sequins.

On Saturday, the United States Figure Skating Association denied as “categorically false” a report in the newspaper, L’Équipe, that America and Russia were conspiring to rig the pairs and ice dancing competitions at the Sochi Games at the expense of Canada.

A pause for explanation: There are two figure skating competitions at these Olympics. The new team event concludes Sunday. Then the traditional disciplines — men’s, women’s, pairs and ice dancing — will commence.

According to L’Équipe, which quoted an unnamed Russian coach, the United States intended to help Russia win the overall team event and the pairs competition. In return, Russia would make sure the Americans Charlie White and Meryl Davis won the ice dancing competition

SOCHI, RUSSIA—The numeral 1 appears three times from the same judge on the detailed scoring sheet for Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir.

Let me explain what this means.

One judge and only one — from a panel of nine — gave the Canadian ice dancers a plus-one value on three of their nine free dance elements Monday night. This is called the Grade of Execution, a discretionary mark that ranges from minus-3 to plus-3 and is either added or deducted from the base value of each element as determined by a technical panel.

Fathoming the complex scoring regimen for figure skating seems deliberately designed to befuddle casual fans. But, to simplify, the GOE is awarded or taken away depending on how a skater executes moves technically. Artistic points — the component scores — are in a separate category and reflect quality in five areas: skating skills, transitions/linking footwork, performance/execution, choreography/composition and interpretation/timing.

Forget those for now.

There are plenty of ways to fiddle with marks even under the revised scoring code that replaced the old 6.0 system after the judging scandal of the Salt Lake City Games in 2002.

So, this one judge hung a plus-one on the Canadians for their twizzles, a rotational lift and a diagonal step sequence. Nobody else on the panel stooped that low. This same judge gave a plus-2 GOE to Virtue and Moir on five other elements. Only for a combination spin did he or she award the maximum plus-three.

If you’re wondering why the Canadians — defending Olympic champions — finished silver behind Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White, that’s a good place to start. Those are precious points.

Virtue and Moir scored 56.22 when averaging out the marks, seven of which are randomly selected towards the aggregate scores, highest and lowest marks tossed out. There’s more math computing but we’ll leave it there. Davis and White got not a single 1 for GOE. The Americans defeated their training partners by 1.28 in the overall technical mark.

It’s not known which judge scored the Canadians so ridiculously low, because they’re afforded anonymity. But I can guess. And it’s not really guesswork because the same pattern emerged in every competition over the past two years — half a dozen head-to-heads now in which the Americans have defeated the Canadians — where a certain judge who will not be identified here has sat on the panel.

You want to take a stab at unravelling the mystery of the declining scores for Virtue and Moir over the last two seasons — put your finger here.

Components are judged on a scale of one to 10. Davis and White received two perfect 10s. Virtue and Moir got component scores that dipped down to 9.57 and 9.64.

The Canadians’ score in the free dance was 114.66; the Americans’ was 116.63. Coupled with the short program scores from Sunday night — with a new world record set by Davis and White, though they were out of sync in the crucial Finnstep compulsory sequence — Virtue and Moir finished at 190.99 overall. Davis and White came in at 195.52.

There was simply not a nearly five-point difference in the quality of their respective two skates.

Read on at :

http://www.thestar.c...i_olympics.html

If the part about the judges is true in this link, then the french source is pretty accurate

The French article turned out to be correct. Russia DID win the Team Medal and the USA DID win the Ice Dance.

Co-incidence or fix?

I'm never one to say this but it has to be a fix. I could see the Americans winning but by a five point differential?

I'm never one to say this but it has to be a fix. I could see the Americans winning but by a five point differential?

Yeah I agree. I didn't see their first program but their second one, I didn't think was as good, especially 2-3 points better. I don't know much about dance figure skating, whats more difficult and what not but to me theirs looks easier because she basically is hopping around and twirling constantly. They didn't have to keep their timing together cause they were never making the same moves, so its not as noticeable if their timing isn't perfect. As for Canada they were pretty much in perfect unison.

Archived