The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT]Another Loss

Ryan kesler the beast

When will this owner realize it's time to scrap this player agent who pretends to be a GM?

He should have been fired after we got swept in last years first round.

And if he's true to his word, don't expect too many changes in the off-season, Higgins, Burrows, Kesler, Sedins and Hansen all have NTC/NMCs that he vows he wont ask to waive.

I have to give credit where it is due. You were right. I thought Torts was focusing the players . Turns out he was.........but he burnt them out. Now they have nothing left and have tuned him out. He may not have been the best fit for the team.

Seems like nobody is playing well for him anymore.

As for Jensen , if Gillis dumps some of the core before the trade deadline, we might see Grenerier and Jensen up here .

Well the good news is I think Tortorella has become a much more honest and reflective guy this season.

So hopefully he's smart enough to realize his old ways aren't working and that it might be time to take a new approach with this team.

We never went on a stretch of only 4 wins in 20 games under AV.

AV had a system that utilized his players to their strengths.

This team looks like it has no system, and I'm convinced they don't even work on offensive zone plays in practice. The powerplay is also the worst it has been at any time in the last 6 years.

AV didn't have to deal with players literally forgetting how to score.

agreed about the core......this has been evident for awhile, and MG has done nothing about it. That said, the weaknesses of JT, as a coach, are being exposed in the West. He was a poor choice as coach of this team, I think it's pretty clear and his body language speaks volumes

You may be right but Gillis can't move too quickly. Getting rid of AV was his salvation and hiring Torts bought hi time. IF he is going to try and blame another coach for this team's predicament, he has to b every careful on his timing. AV won the Jack Adams, Torts won a Stanley Cup, if this team is not competitive, at some point Aquaman will see the problem is GIllis, which I strongly believe it is.

You may be right but Gillis can't move too quickly. Getting rid of AV was his salvation and hiring Torts bought hi time. IF he is going to try and blame another coach for this team's predicament, he has to b every careful on his timing. AV won the Jack Adams, Torts won a Stanley Cup, if this team is not competitive, at some point Aquaman will see the problem is GIllis, which I strongly believe it is.

don't get me wrong, I know JT isn't going anywhere.......he's signed for 5 years and FA is not going to pay two coaches for any length of time. It will start with the core, move to MG and then JT.

this is a group that was never going to respond to tortorella's brand of tough love and brutal honesty. vigneault got the most out of them by constantly pumping their tires and keeping them upbeat and positive.

it was obvious to anyone that understands this game and this team right from the get-go that tortorella was the wrong choice. the core is so stale that its covered in mold, and gillis needs to either cut off all the moldy bits and salvage what's left or throw the whole damn thing in the trash.

I think people here look for "an answer" or reason for our funk but it's not just one person/thing, it's more complex and a combination of things. So many. Injury (obviously). Fatigue. And, I do think some of our players have shifted their priorities now that they're family men...they no longer live and die this game, it's just a job. They used to go home and think about the game, now they tune it out. Can't blame them, just how it is but it's inevitable that a younger, more dedicated crew is in order. Sad but true.

I am not packing it in on them...finish the year and see what gives. I do still hold out hope that after a much needed break they may come back and win instead of lose. And that teams who are winning may have that rhythm broken up. Anything can happen then. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up on the year as of yet.

Do or die after the break. No more time to adjust, figure it out or find answers. Time for action...we'll see.

But people who say get rid of ________________ don't see that it's more than that. A number of things have to happen and a break is much needed. After which these guys have to quickly decide whether or not they want this badly enough. I don't think Torts is the problem, I think he's part of the answer. The guys need a fire lit under their butts...he's trying to do that. But it's really up to them in whether or not they want it badly enough. No one will be able to change if they are just putting in the hours and don't have the desire to do what it takes. Can't change that with coaching.

edler and burrows being moved should be priority. dump them now

dumping players isn't going to achieve anything........they need to move Kesler, Bieksa and other core guys who still have value....other wise it's not going to go anywhere

don't get me wrong, I know JT isn't going anywhere.......he's signed for 5 years and FA is not going to pay two coaches for any length of time. It will start with the core, move to MG and then JT.

no gm accepts the job without being allowed to choose their own coach.

and the thing is, if tortorella finds another nhl job, the canucks are off the hook for his remaining years, and i think he'd find other work fairly quickly.

Not on this scale he didn't, not even close.

because he understood what he had to do to get the best of what he had.......JT does not understand that.......he has tunnel vision and is making no adjustments to his style, systems (if he has any) and philosophy whatsoever.

AV didn't have to deal with players literally forgetting how to score.

In 06/07 we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. So he coached a style that would allow us to win, which was trap hockey. (it helped that Luongo had a Vezina caliber season too).

Then in 10/11 he made a 180 with how he coached his team and they were the highest scoring team in the league.

That's adaptability right there. Something a coach has to have. Tortorella's gotta adapt his coaching for this group, because no one on this team is playing well right now. That's on the coaching staff to get these guys rolling again.

I'd like to know how playing at the international level will help the 7 Canucks going to Sochi... the absolute best scenario would have been for the management to pull them all to relax, and get ready for after the break... if any of the teams go far, those players won't be rested much, especially if it's Team Sweden, where both Edler and Daniel NEED this break...

Archived