The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Are you saying the 1C of team USA would only get a nice PROSPECT and a 1st??? We would get one more piece back easily, most likely as a salary coming back. I would hope we get more than 1 dimensional Mantha and a 1st. (likely to be a low pick in a not so deep draft). You're delusional. If Bobby Ryan can get 2 players and a 1st then so can Kes.

Umm Mantha is their best prospect FYI. He made the rest of team Canada look like boys in the tournament, and is destroying the Q right now.

He's looking like he's going to be a stud number 1 center ala Getzlaf.

And it's arguable that Kesler is worth as much as Ryan was. Ryan was younger and a former 2nd overall pick who hadn't reached his peak. While Kesler will be turning 30 this year and appears to be declining.

Look I know the flavour of the month/year is to trade Edler, but I'm telling you...I watched our defenseman intently when he was out with his knee injury to see if we would miss him or not and I'm here to tell you. If you trade Edler without a physical defenseman to replace him with our defenseman are about to become the nails in any series we play. Bieksa is the only guy that delivers any sort of punch physically and he's almost 33.

I'm not saying I'm completely against it, but we better be getting good value or don't bother, he'll come around.

I don't want the Canucks to trade Edler. I like the guy and know he'll turn it around eventually. But right now, Phaneuf is playing better than Edler.

I am intrigued that Ken Holland and Gillis could be discussing a deal involving Franzen due to Detroits rapidly expanding group of young top 6 potential players and the fact they have one compliance buy out left and may want to use it on both Steven Weiss and Franzen.

I don't want the Canucks to trade Edler. I like the guy and know he'll turn it around eventually. But right now, Phaneuf is playing better than Edler.

I will concede that, but people need to remember that Edler is a top 30 scoring and top 30 minute munching defenseman. He is in a defenseman's prime years, has an excellent contract is low maintenance from an attitude standpoint and can destroy players when healthy. He is far from 100% and Tossing him to the scrap heap would be fool hearty.

Trading for Franzen would have to include Nyquist or Jurco and B.Smith and sure they could have a bottom 6 like Hansen to balance the bodies. Maybe they feel they could resurrect Booth for one season so they can buy out Weiss and well keep Jannik. No way to Tatar and there is no way there trading Mantha. He's the reason Franzen would be expendable.

Umm Mantha is their best prospect FYI. He made the rest of team Canada look like boys in the tournament, and is destroying the Q right now.

And it's arguable that Kesler is worth as much as Ryan was. Ryan was younger and a former 2nd overall pick who hadn't reached his peak. While Kesler will be turning 30 this year and appears to be declining.

Mantha plays center???

Guys gonna be good but lots of players have crushed the Q.

Tell me if not Kes who is then?

One of the Sedins obviously, no question. The only year Kesler has ever been even remotely close to being in the same city, let alone the same neighborhood as the Sedins, is this year and maybe his Selke year.

Right wing.

Corey Perry then. :lol:

Meh, I see Mantha being multiple steps below Perry, who is far more dynamic. Mantha, at this point, is weak defensively and weak in transition. He's got a lot of learning to do still until he's ready for the NHL. Will spend next year in the AHL and probably the following year as well with a call-up or two. Might be a 30 goal scorer one day with the correct development. 40 goal scorer if the stars align or I'm off in my assessment.

Edler for Brayden Schenn

Higgins for 1st round pick at deadline.

Schenn hasn't lived up to the billing and has been fairly average so far in his career.

Philly also will be needing dman after losing some to free agency.

Schenn Kesler Santorelli

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Corrado

Sure Ryan is young, but overall Kes is a better player than Ryan, and it seems that most GM's would agree, seeing as how Ryan didn't even make team USA, although I think he still should have (Ryan is also 1 dimensional like Mantha). GM's value defensive gritty, Selke winning centers much more than a skilled winger in todays NHL. Any team making cup run would likely overpay for somebody like Kes to anchor their 2/3C position. Detroit would be one of those teams IMO. I still am flabbergasted that you think Kes would only get Mantha and a 1st.

You have to remember that Mantha was the last person to make team Canada, because he is so 1 dimensional. It was either him or Shinkaruk. They made the right choice obviously, but he was nowhere near the best player on that team. If you think otherwise, you are a fool Deniro. Mantha is barely > Shinkaruk.

Sure Ryan is young, but overall Kes is a better player than Ryan, and it seems that most GM's would agree, seeing as how Ryan didn't even make team USA, although I think he still should have (Ryan is also 1 dimensional like Mantha). GM's value defensive gritty, Selke winning forwards much more than a skilled winger in todays NHL. Any team making cup run would likely overpay for somebody like Kes to anchor their 2/3C position. Detroit would be one of those teams IMO. I still am flabbergasted that you think Kes would only get Mantha and a 1st.

You have to remember that Mantha was the last person to make team Canada, because he is so 1 dimensional. It was either him or Shinkaruk. They made the right choice obviously, but he was nowhere near the best player on that team. If you think otherwise, you are a fool Deniro. Mantha is barely > Shinkaruk.

Wasn't Shink injured?

Mantha did very well facing teams like Slovakia, Germany and Czechs in the World Juniors but the 3 games he played against USA x2 and Russia he got 1 point in these games.

He fed off weaker teams. No defensive game and he isn't physical.

It's not Edler for Franzen 1 for 1, calm your asses down and read the article first lol. Franzen will be added for cap reasons and we'll get a top prospect in Mantha/Nyquvist/Tatar and a 1st/2nd possibly ontop on Franzen. If you think that's a bad deal, you don't know who Edler is...he's inconsistent and one team that can turn him around is Detroit but even the , that is a solid deal.

...should see any of those 3 youngsters play..they are something else.

Nyquist and Jurco are two of their untouchables so don't get your hopes up. Franzens contract is worse then Burrs. It ends in 2020 and he will be 40, at 4 mil cap hit. Unless we get Mantha AND their 1st absolutely no.

Franzen with the Sedin's till they retire would be awesome as

Franzen is a playoff player!But saying that they would have to be a secon line, maybe 1st for this and next year, but what then??if MG has a plan on getting another scorer and getting rid of older players then do it and NOW!!!

Archived