The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Prime aged doesn't necessarily mean useful. Unless Edler decides he'll actually make an attempt to play defense, anything we get in exchange for him is a bonus on top of getting rid of a bad contract.

The idea of Franzen for Edler is still quite unbalanced. You hatred of Edler is blinding you of fair market value.

Mantha is Detroit's best prospect. Don't expect to get him for Edler.

Would you trade Horvat for Edler?

You know, for all the awesome things you usually say, I don't exactly agree with all of your last 3 posts. Edler fills a need for Detroit and with the right coaching, he will be good. Will he be Lidstrom...not a chance. Is he good with a good partner who can pass, Ie: Salo, Ehrhoff. Umm, yeah, he is. Babcock is the best coach in the game, which is why Detroit hired him and he is coaching team Canada! Edler and Kronwall would be two towers of power!!! You gotta know Babcock would get him hitting like an anvil again. Plus with less travel, he will be less fatigued.

Edler for a package which includes Mantha is within the realm of possibility. Especially if Yannik Hansen were to be included in the trade. They have Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, and to a lesser extent, Landon Ferraro, and Martin Frk. They can go without him. They wouldn't be wanting to lose him, but they haven't exactly replaced Lidstrom and this is a step in the right direction.

Also...Brendan Smith? We have two other lefties besides Edler. One is playing his off side right now. I can see the need and would take him, but gotta think there's an easier free agent replacement for the bottom two pairing, no?

First of all Mike Gillis is an idiot if any if this is true.

To continue, I'm pretty sure Detroit already said they aren't willing to part with their young players because they will be taking over in the future.

Moulson, Vanek, and Gaborik are all going to be UFA's at years end and Gillis said he won't be going after any rental players. I know he said that if he has a good chance at re-signing the player a deal could work, but you can literally say that with any rental player.

I also don't understand this massive hate for Alex Edler, he is a good player having a hard time. He has been scoring in his own net (accidentally*) as of late but so did Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa. Dan Hamhuis hasn't been amazing since last season, Kevin Bieksa is starting to look like he is dropping off somewhat, and Jason Garrison has been all kinds of bad since he got here. Every player has had their good moments, but I have to say the most useless defenseman is Jason Garrison.

Jason Garrison is not that physical, he doesn't put up those great offensive points, he has bad position many times, he is notorious for screening his own goalies, he many times gets out the way of a shot, and he gets caught chasing players in his own zone. He still has a cannon of a shot, he can make a nice pass, when he has the puck (in own zone) he gets it out, and he is a big guy. Overall, I'm going to say Edler is better than Garrison and that we should trade Garrison.

This management team is stupid because they are trying to make all of our defenseman into TWD, which makes no sense. Dan Hamhuis was an awesome DFD, but after the Finals the Canucks tried to push him and make him a TWD which hasn't worked well. Kevin Bieksa is a natural TWD so he fits that position well, especially on the right side. Alex Edler is NOT, at all, a TWD. He can be a great OFD or DFD, but he cannot play a two-way game that's why he's having problems. Jason Garrison used to be a DFD, but then became a TWD. He played better when he was a DFD with a guy like Brian Campbell that's what got him his success.

I would say what the Canucks NEED is a 1st line scorer (obvious), 2nd line playmaker, and a top 4 DFD or OFD. These type of players are not easy to get, we will have to give up a nice piece for one of those players but it is what the team is lacking.

yes and gillis and all of nuck nation has known this for 5 years lol

^^You didn't answer the question though. Would you trade Horvat for Edler?

I'm betting the majority of people on here would say no.

Detroit has an aging core too There's no motivation for them to give up their best young prospect.

If there were a need on Vancouver that seriously needed to be filled which Edler could fill out and I could pair him with someone who would work out well, you bet I would!!! We have Kes, Hank and Gaunce waiting in the wings.

Edler's skill set is great, in the right hands. There are alot of moving parts with a trade of this magnitude. Edler just for Mantha is a no for both sides, however Edler and Hansen for Franzen, Mantha, and SMITH maybe?! That is definitely something I feel Detroit would consider since Hansen is locked up for the next 4 years and they have Tatar, Jurco, and Nyquist to grow into their future top 6 roles.

If there were a need on Vancouver that seriously needed to be filled which Edler could fill out and I could pair him with someone who would work out well, you bet I would!!! We have Kes, Hank and Gaunce waiting in the wings.

Edler's skill set is great, in the right hands. There are alot of moving parts with a trade of this magnitude. Edler just for Mantha is a no for both sides, however Edler and Hansen for Franzen, Mantha, and SMITH maybe?! That is definitely something I feel Detroit would consider since Hansen is locked up for the next 4 years and they have Tatar, Jurco, and Nyquist to grow into their future top 6 roles.

Vancouver does have a need that Edler is supposed to be filling but he's not. That's the only reason why we would even trade him.

Is Detroit going to gamble giving up their best prospect for a player that looks like he already peaked?

Hank and Kes are getting older just like Datsyuk. And Gaunce is not on the same level as Horvat. That would be a big blow to the Canucks future to give up Horvat, just like giving up Mantha would be.

^If we're forced into accepting accompanying crap, just to get decent prospects for Edler, don't bother.

May's well deal 2 of Ham, Garr & KB3, in addition to Kesler. We'd get PLENTY of goodies, & our youth is improving, besides all this talk, anyways...

Shelter Edler, and/or match him with Tanev. I don't buy that Det could magically revitalize him; whereas we can't manage that at all. DEAFEATIST, Cop-out justifying, & fatalistic & cyanide-inducing pessimism.

Vancouver does have a need that Edler is supposed to be filling but he's not. That's the only reason why we would even trade him.

Is Detroit going to gamble giving up their best prospect for a player that looks like he already peaked?

Hank and Kes are getting older just like Datsyuk. And Gaunce is not on the same level as Horvat. That would be a big blow to the Canucks future to give up Horvat, just like giving up Mantha would be.

Its not Manthha for edler staright up though. Franzen brings negative value to the deal imo. Would be like trading Booth with Horvat but his contract ends sooner

Might as well bring back Sundin and Naslund, and while Gillis is at it he can order a big box of bengay ointment and a few dozen boxes of depends.

Edler is one of the few assets that can get anything in return, yah sure Mike just make the team older.

This is all speculation - he wouldnt be that stupid would he?

haha... those who think the article is suggesting edler for franzen straight across are funny.

havent read ayn pages in the thread other than the first page, and im guessing that others have mentioned it, but Franzen would be the only cap dump off the wings roster that the canucks could potentially do something with. Detroit is right up against the cap, and cant take on a player like Edler and his cap hit, without moving Franzen.

Picking up Franzen would likely increace the value of the other assets coming in the deal aswell.

As mentioned, it'd likely look like Edler for Franzen, Tatar/Nyquist/Mantha, pick.

As far as picking up Vanek, Gaborik, Moulson... Id think theyre looking at dangling Hansen +, but Id also think the Nux would like to have some contract negotiations with these players aswell.

Of the 3, I think Moulson is the most likely. BUT, if they worked out an extention for Vanek, he could be a sweet ars addition.

the role he was signed for, arguably, is that of an offensive d man who can also play physical. It's pretty obvious now he isn't exactly what the organization thought he was. That's on the Nucks brass. Not him! He isn't that fast of a skater and his lateral passing isn't great. Edler getting proper coaching and being paired with someone who can push the play forward well, will make him worth every penny of his 5 mil to Detroit! He doesn't seem to work well with Torts, which is plain as day and once he stopped being paired with good passers (Salo, Ehrhoff), low and behold his play dropped off along with his confidence. That's why he and Garry have never worked out. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Kind of curious to see how he and Tanev would fit together for a long period of time, actually.

He's like salt, actually. You wouldn't pair salt with more salt would you? No, you pair it with pepper. Too much salt makes food go bad!

As far as the Horvat thing goes. Yeah, if I were in the situation where my top two centers were currently locked up for at least another two seasons like the Nucks' are, trading Horvat to fill the organizational need would be okay with me. Two seasons in the minors will make Gaunce a solid 2nd or 3rd line center. Plus, that's two seasons away. Anything could happen in those two seasons. Plus with the way this team is trending, finding another young center, whether it be thru the draft or trade is within the realm of possibility. Would I want to trade Bo Horvat? Not really, as you said, he is our best prospect and miles ahead of Gaunce. Gaunce will still be a good useful player in the league though. You can bank on it. He has too high a hockey IQ to not be. That being said, there are very few situations I would let Horvat go for, just like I bet there are very few situations Detroit would let Mantha go for. Edler and Hansen both would have to be part of the package to do it, IMO.

Now let me ask you a question: Would you include Bo Horvat in a trade for Oliver Ekman-Larson, if Edler were already gone?

^^You didn't answer the question though. Would you trade Horvat for Edler?

I'm betting the majority of people on here would say no.

Detroit has an aging core too There's no motivation for them to give up their best young prospect.

My answer to this D, would be a question

Would you trade Horvat for an Edler comparable forward/player?

E. Kane, Bobby Ryan, Ryan O' Reilly someone earning that $5 million; for a forward, kind of money.

The answer to that is yes. Yes I would indeed. Especially if it meant losing a bad contract that could cuff the team for both cap hit in relation to production; and possible roster spot over the next 6 years.

More likely is Edler 3rd and 5th for a prospect like Frk or Mantha a 1st and 2nd and a bad contract coming back. Not a Franzen but a wasted roster spot like Samuelsson or Tootoo or Weise (Weiss?)

People cannot expect Detroit is going to give away a 1st AND a solid prospect alone + a productive player when they could shed a bad contract or free up space on the roster; for simply Edler.\

But yes I would trade Horvat for a comparable to Edler forward if the deal was right

If we are trading Edler, we should be looking to get younger.

As stated in the article, Franzen is signed until 2020 at a cap of $3.9 million per season. He's 34 years old and won't be a UFA until he's 40. This is the wrong move for a team trying to retool for the future.

Archived