The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks offered Bieksa, Burrows and 1st for 2nd overall in 2009 draft

PRIMO88

Personally I'm happy that didnt go through... Sure we'd have a young stud now, but our glory days may not of happened if we had done that trade. Bieksa and Burrows were huge factors in our dominance and playoff runs.

If it was Tavares, well hey there is no way I'd turn that down! Throw in someone else while you are at it to get err done!

this is old news...... very old...

Brian Burke wants to know why he wasn't invited to Linden Jersey retirement.....

This is why.

Also the Sedins tampering and calling out our Owners

What Sedins tampering did Burke do? It was his coach that said, "I could see going after them if they become free agents". Earth shattering. Every hockey analyst out there had been saying that for six months. And his coach was fined for it. Had nothing to do with Burke.

Btw, that clip should be blamed on the Leafs TV staff. You can't blame a GM for talking to his staff about what's being offered for a player you're interested. But the Leafs TV production crew never should have left footage in their "behind the scenes" special that named names in potetial deals that didn't happen. Just plain stupid on their part.

Yea never knew about it but damn it would definitely be nice having one of those guys now but i dont know if we would have the runs we did without those two. You think shroeder was the guy they were targeting? Its nice seeing burkie work his arse off trying to get these trades done. Goes to show the kinda work that goes in

Okay.

Who would have scored the GWG during the 1st round, Game 7 in OT against the Blackhawks?

Who would have scored the GWG during the 3rd round, Game 5 in OT against the Sharks?

Or maybe everything would have been changed from the start.

maybe they would have swept the hawks? maybe they would have missed the playoffs?

who knows. pointless to even think about really.

For those saying with that trade the 2011 run wouldn't have happened. Maybe not, but maybe in 2012 or 2013 we would have gone all the way.

By trading Bieksa we would have had money to sign Ehrhoff instead. Not the same type of player, but Ehrhoff would have helped with scoring in 2012 and 2013. Plus with Burrows out, maybe Grabner would have had a real chance a becoming a top 6 for us.

All I know, is today we would be a better team, with Duchene than with Bieksa, Schroeder, Burrows. So I would make that deal anyday....but not surprising Avs didn't do it.

I found the talk about Bobby Clarke blackmailing the Leafs for a 2nd (~5min mark) by saying they'd pick out of order and get the player the Leafs had agreed to pick in another deal more interesting.

But what's that about Gillis not making bold moves?

It wouldn't have been duchene....it would have been Tavares or hedman. I remember how much hype there was behind Hedman. I remember also there was alot of talk about Duchene and speculation that he only looked good because he was riding Hodgson's coattails.

A member on here offered the Avs Hodgson , our pick at 22 (Schroeder) for Duchene. The CDC fanboys laughed him off the board, mocking him to scorn repeatedly.

Some argued they wouldnt give up Hodgson for Duchene straight up. :picard:

Back to the video, I like how Burkie and many of the media had Kassian in the conversation at #7 through 9 . :)

Archived