The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank the rest of the season? Mimic the 2012 Canadiens?

Hear me out or get out.

The Canucks should tank the rest of this season and get a top 3 pick. We are currently 21st in the league with the 25th team being 3 points back and every team below us besides WPJ, NSH and EDM have games in hand. We could get into the top 3 with FLA and CAL just 12 points back.

We should let Hank, Tanev, Bieksa and all our other injured players get extra time off to continue to give our younger players opportunities and to make sure that they are 110% healthy when they do come back (watching Hank playing injured is not fun).

BUF will probably get 1st and draft the BPA. Oilers I honestly don't know. I can see them getting out of the bottom 3 if Scrivens and Bryz can both play well during the rest of the season. If EDM do get 2nd overall it will most likely be Ekblad if he falls to them.

Leaving us with either Bennett or Reinhart, both being Centres. Lets say we draft Reinhart for example. Reinhart and Horvat are both Centres (though Horvat can play LW) and will probably be ready for next year. Some might think bringing up 2 Centres is a problem. Kesler would move to wing which solves somewhat of a problem, lack of top 6 wingers. It also makes Kesler expendable in the future.

I still think we still need more top 6 wingers on top of Kesler moving to wing. That is unless Burrows can snap out of his slump and/or Kassian is ready to make the jump.

This would be similar to MTL in 2012 when they brought in Galchenyuk and Gallagher, both who made immediate impacts for the Canadiens. Our version of those two would be Reinhart and Horvat, not saying that they are going to make immediate impacts for us but you never know.

Of course we might need more than a couple top prospects to spark this team with our slumping stars and etc. But that is for another topic.

What do you all think about Tanking? Should we? If we drafted top 3 who would you want? Who would play where?

Tell me what you guys think.

Wouldn't mind. If management doesn't upgrade and get Kes a legit winger come trade deadline, nothing will change. Not saying blow up the team, keep it the same by staying pat at deadline and watch them steadily fall down the rankings. If they pick it up, then they pick it up. Win-win.

Should never try an tank, that's the oilers way of building a team.. In saying that, I do think the Canucks will prolly end up with a high pick. They should trade edler and not make a trade jus to make the playoffs. Its time to do a proper reset. The way things are going van is gonna get a top 10 pick, although it could easily become a top 5.

If gillis plays his cards right he can turn the team around quickly and it all starts this trade deadline..

Sounds great.

Problem?

I don't see Aqualini being okay with the loss of revenue when we stop selling out / selling merchandise as fan apathy grows. GIllis is already under fire for the state of the team - not sure he wants to vindicate his detractors. Torts doesn't seem like a guy who will shrug his shoulders while we tank. Our core is older and and as disinterested as they seem at times this isn't exactly going to make coming to the rink any more enticing to them.

All in all it seems like a whole lot of negativity for the organization just to possibly get a top pick.

Edit: Actually i can go down the food chain even past the Core group of players.... the fringe and support players will never support a tank because they're all fighting for contracts and simply to stay in the league.

No teams ever tank. They just suck. No player will ever agree to try to lose. It's not in your fabric as an athlete. 'You play to win the game' quote comes to mind. It's the easiest way to never attract free agents and sully the rep of the team. But if they do, I want to know so I can bet on them and make a fortune.

It will never happen, regardless of whether it helps or not. It goes against the spirit of competitiveness and sports. Elite athletes (and most human beings) are not hardwired to lose on purpose especially when the playoff race is so close. Not to mention the fans would quit going to games and the team would lose money. Maybe if we were completely out of it I wouldn't resting our vets and giving our young guys a shot but not when we're close to playoff line.

Another question. Do you think this is the season to make a run? I don't, considering our slumping stars and injuries. Unless we can come swinging after the Olympics we aren't going to be making the playoffs. Even if we do make the playoffs will we get past SJS? LA? CHI? STL? would consider it a miracle if we beat one of those teams in a 7 game series.

Trade Edler in a rebuilding move at the Deadline and give our injured players extra rest to be 110% sure they are 110% healthy. If we lose the next 2-4 games after the break we could find ourselves 25th in the league that's how close the teams behind us are.

Lets not encourage our players and management to tank, just silently fuel the process with a rebuilding move and making sure our injured core players come back 110% healthy by giving them extra time off.

I think tanking permeates throughout the organization..basically admitting your a loser ..Look at the Oilers and now Calgary..Its not like you can flip a switch and become a winner after a losing culture has firmly set in.

2 first round exits and now most likely missing the playoffs altogether, couple more seasons of this and we'll have a losing culture set in here as well

The sensible one would choose a chance at a top 5 pick instead of making the playoffs and getting a spanking in the 1st round. Getting Horvat, Shinkaruk, and potentially another top 10 all within two years would do nothing but good for us.

The players who determine whether we win or lose could care less about the position this team finishes this year for a higher draft position. They care about their own individual careers more than the future of this franchise that they may or may not be apart of.

Are you implying that our players are selfish for actually wanting to try their best, win, and play the game it's meant to be played?

Archived