The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Finland, preliminary round game 3

goalie13

First of all I would just like to say frack Babcock and that he's lost his touch, second of all I have lost all interest in the Olympics because he couldn't give the Vancouver goalie the job. I guess I will cheer for Kesler.

To quote a long standing sports phrase: "It's about the name on the front of the Jersey, not the name on the back"....

First of all I would just like to say frack Babcock and that he's lost his touch, second of all I have lost all interest in the Olympics because he couldn't give the Vancouver goalie the job. I guess I will cheer for Kesler.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Well said brah.

What i see is a lot of emotion because Luongo didn't start which is expected on a Canucks forum. I think if people remove the 'homer' glasses they will see there is no downgrade in using Price in goal instead. It's all about Canada as a team.

I'm sure on the other side of the country there are lots of fans wondering why Hamhuis is playing and not the Norris winning Subban playing on defense instead.

So how's this for a story line. Canada doesn't get gold. USA gets gold, Kesler Olympic MVP.

After Olympic break Canucks play above average and squeak in 8th spot. Luongo with a fire under his ass Carrys the team on a magical run. Sedins take lesser rolls and relish. Kesler continues his Olympic beastly play in the playoffs and turns into the teams new top line star.

The rest is up to you!

LOL i donno, i remember when the canucks went to the finals, and the rest of canada were pretty much cheering against us...

So how's this for a story line. Canada doesn't get gold. USA gets gold, Kesler Olympic MVP.

After Olympic break Canucks play above average and squeak in 8th spot. Luongo with a fire under his ass Carrys the team on a magical run. Sedins take lesser rolls and relish. Kesler continues his Olympic beastly play in the playoffs and turns into the teams new top line star.

The rest is up to you!

I'd rather get a lottery pick than take a chance on that

Canada coach Mike Babcock: "Every time I've come to Europe and coached a team...no one ever seems to be happy with us. I think we're competing like crazy. We are going to make lineup changes for sure. Everyone evaluates Crosby on scoring. I evaluate Sid on winning. That's what we came here for. We came here to be tested, I just want to keep playing. I think it's 'hokey' when you're trying to pick your spots and trying to avoid teams. You've got to beat the best to be the best!"

Since when does ice size dictate playing style?

"Oh, the ice made us hang back and trap all game."

Yeah, right.

I'm not a big fan of bringing over big ice either, but the point is moot. Not only with the NHL ever reconfigure, but it will have utterly no effect on getting coaches to switch to a more offensive style.

Want to create more offense? Simply penalize defensive play. It's not all that fair, but it will sure bring about more offense.

Matt Duchene on the Sochi 2014 Olympics big ice: "This is why the NHL should never go to a big ice, it'll take the scoring out of the game. You're able to play way more defensive on the big ice. It makes for less offense."

1926939_624332574282761_1009528779_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the reason it won't happen is because owners, and the league, will invest millions just to receive less revenue in terms of seat sales. Raising ticket prices will not work in fringe markets with so-so attendance. At best they break even, but most business people would see it as a loss.

I'm mixed on bigger ice. It might open it up to the skilled teams, but mediocre teams will still play shut down just the same as they do now.

As an aside, I've really liked watching Duchene play with some other all stars in these games. That kid can skate like the breeze.

Babcock already went on record saying the goalie situation has played out as expected and neither goalie changed their opinion with their first games.............It's Price from here on out unless he plays poorly. I don't know why people can't accept that

Babcock probably based his decision on statistics and not on his "guts". Price did have better record in his last 10 games than Luongo. Plus Price beat Luongo in the game between the Canucks and Montreal a few days before the break. So it is not surprising Price is chosen as the starter.

Archived