The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Other Q players to do that: Steve Bernier, Zack Phillips and Francois Bouchard. The latter two are built more like Ehlers and are busts.

The big reason Ehlers is being discussed as a top 10 pick is his speed and ability to make plays at that speed. The latter two you mentioned are, at best, average skaters. Just look at these highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnujGjt-pNU

compared to

Zack phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kt2pkGZbl08

I couldn't find any highlights for Bouchard and I think we all know what Bernier brings.

Who would you consider to be better options for the 6th pick?

edit: anyone know how to embed the videos?

In my opinion Ekblad and Ehlers are the only 2 players with true superstar potential in the entire draft. There are a lot of solid guy s like Dal Colle and Draisaitl , Bennett and Reinhart.

The dark horse to really be a difference maker in the NHL is Nylander.

I think Dal Colle and Draisaitl have some serious potential aswell but I do agree on Ekblad & Ehlers. I think Reinhart is further ahead now but I question is ultimate upside, same with Bennett to a lesser extent but still.

The other things with Ehlers is I've seen some sites that have him at 6'0, same height as Bennett.

The big reason Ehlers is being discussed as a top 10 pick is his speed and ability to make plays at that speed. The latter two you mentioned are, at best, average skaters. Just look at these highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnujGjt-pNU

compared to

Zack phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kt2pkGZbl08

I couldn't find any highlights for Bouchard and I think we all know what Bernier brings.

Who would you consider to be better options for the 6th pick?

edit: anyone know how to embed the videos?

[.media]URL

without the period.

added.

I guess I'm the only guy who likes Perlini at #6.

I read a lot about how he's a very streaky player and lacks consistency in his game, but remember he plays on a very weak Niagara team. So, consistency shouldn't be a weak point of his.

I just wanted to know more about him, both pros and cons.

From what I understand (not a ton) he's got a great shot, good skater, good hands, can pass, but seems to be soft, not good in the corners, might have questions about attitude/work ethic (which could hinder his abliity to develop a better two-way game in the future which I worry less about with Ehlers & Kapanen), just seems to have good skills but alot of holes in his game. Seems like a really risky pick.

You pretty much nailed it.

I haven't really watched him a ton, but he seems like a bit of a floater.

I don't think he would be super risky, but then again he is on bigger ice.

Edit: From what I've read he's got all the skill in the world. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything if you aren't good in your own end i.e. Yakupov

I've got some more stuff on Ehlers here for those who are doubting him or don't know as much as you'd like too about him.

From the War Room
  • Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Nikolaj Ehlers:
    • Skills – High-end top speed and acceleration combined with amazing agility, Jonathan Drouin class back-hander, elite wrister, adept at changing direction and flow of the play. Maybe not quite Jonathan Drouin class in all areas just yet but his improvements to date have him heading in that direction.
    • Shows up – Shows up for work every game with a determination to make a difference every game. His league leading +41 shows just what a difference he is making.
    • Not a perimeter guy – Goes to the net, spends time in the paint, works the cycle.
    • Keeps getting better – Just when you think he is topped out, he shows a new skill or improves on an old one.
    • Size – Size and strength are still issues but he is well aware that he needs to add weight and strength. As he is not a perimeter player and plays at a dynamic tempo with amazing skills, this issue will reduce going forward to where it becomes close to a non-issue.
- See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/nikolaj-ehlers/#sthash.qyjrNDFS.dpuf

http://thehockeywriters.com/nikolaj-ehlers/

I think we will pick Draisaitl, Ritchie, or Fleury. I might like Ritchie best of these three.

If none of the top 6 trade their 1st pick away, here is what I think will happen:

If we win the lottery, we pick Ekblad.

If we don't win the lottery, the first four teams pick will pick one to four:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Dal Colle

4. Bennett

Then if Calgary is still 5th or 6th, they might take Ritchie or Virtanen.

Then if Vancouver is still 6th, we could take:

5. Draisaitl

*6. Ritchie (unless any of the top 5 drop)

*7. Fleury (if Vancouver gets bumped to 7th and unless any of the top 6 drop).

A few things:

- Ritchie is still being underrated in this thread IMHO. He has game breaker potential and the closest player I can think of in his mold is Brendan Shanahan. The thing is that Ritchie is actually a better skater.

- Nylander is also as talented as any player in this draft. I think he'll take a little while to evolve but he's got possibly the best hockey sense in the draft.

- Ehlers has amazing skill. He reminds me a lot of Hemsky at that age. That makes me wary.

- Barbashev as a mid round pick is as safe as any pick in this years draft. He might not be a top end guy but he's a lock to play.

- Tuch is a great project but expect him to do his full college years.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/08/nhl-draft-profile-7-william-nylander/

William Nylander is an outstanding skater. He has very good top end speed and excellent acceleration and change of pace ability. He uses this to fool defenders off the rush and to open up passing and shooting lanes by quickly changing speeds. He also shows very good agility and the ability to get around defenders one-on-one. His balance is good, but he could use more core strength in order to avoid getting knocked off the puck by bigger defenders.

In the offensive zone, Nylander shows off outstanding hands, and incredible stickhandling ability. He can control the game with the puck on his stick, and protects it well. He is an outstanding playmaker with great vision, and can pass the puck through the eye of a needle. His shot features a quick release, and good accuracy, but needs to add some power. There are plenty of skills there, but there are also some things Nylander has to work on. He must add mass, and become better along the boards and in front of the net. He also needs to make smarter decisions with the puck, sometimes he should make the simple play when it is available, instead of making the more complicated and riskier play.

Nylander will also need to work on his defensive game over the coming years. He has a tendency to float and puck watch in the defensive zone that will need to be addressed. He needs time, and a good coach, to teach him to be in the right spots defensively, and he needs to become more tenacious on the back check.

Despite some flaws, the high-end skill is as good as anyone in the draft. He has the potential to be a top line NHL centre if he can fix those issues. Still the boom or bust potential for Nylander is more prevalent in my opinion than those ranked above him, and thats why he is seventh on the list. His style (not potential, just style), compares well with Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes.

--------------------------

As it says, Nylander has excellent skills, he is in the top for most skilled players in the draft. His speed is top end aswell.

Now his flaws, his defensive game is weak, he needs to add mass those are easy things. Jensen was pretty 1 dimensional now he is reliable in his own end, Detroit drafts skill players and inject defense into their game. Defense is teachable.

As it says, he has the potential to be a top line center.

If none of the top 5 fall to us then I think we should take Ehlers.

It would be awesome if we were to get the Ottawa's 10th overall pick from Anaheim and draft Nylander (if he's still around). The kid has top line offensive talent and can play C or RW.

In any case, we need to draft pure offensive talent.

EDIT: Nik Ehlers with 20 points (8-12-20) in 9 playoff games. Only Drouin has more (9-18-27). As an aside, Mantha has less with 15 points (10-5-15).

A few things:

- Ritchie is still being underrated in this thread IMHO. He has game breaker potential and the closest player I can think of in his mold is Brendan Shanahan. The thing is that Ritchie is actually a better skater.

- Nylander is also as talented as any player in this draft. I think he'll take a little while to evolve but he's got possibly the best hockey sense in the draft.

- Ehlers has amazing skill. He reminds me a lot of Hemsky at that age. That makes me wary.

- Barbashev as a mid round pick is as safe as any pick in this years draft. He might not be a top end guy but he's a lock to play.

He reminds you of a guy with all the skill but floats around and never puts it altogether and gets injured a lot? These players are nothing alike.

Ehlers is faster , has a slightly better shot and is much harder on the puck . He never takes a shift off, never backs down from the danger areas. Hemsky does not have those attributes.

A few things:

I don't see the Hemsky comparison at all, Ehlers is a much better skater and uses his skating ability so effectively with & without the puck to create offense, Hemsky doesn't have the same skating ability (not saying his skating ability is bad) and doesn't use it the same way.

Among others things like Absent Canuck said.

Babashev I totally agree on, I could see him as a late 1st but if he's available at our 2nd rounder I would take him there.

He reminds you of a guy with all the skill but floats around and never puts it altogether and gets injured a lot? These players are nothing alike.

Ehlers is faster , has a slightly better shot and is much harder on the puck . He never takes a shift off, never backs down from the danger areas. Hemsky does not have those attributes.

I'm not sure if you ever watched Hemsky when he was in the Q but he absolutely dominated. I remember a young man who skated as well and anyone in the league, could make plays at will, sniped wrist shots, and was not afraid to take a hit or get greasy. On the PP it was a man against boys.

Hemsky couldn't translate that dominance into the NHL. When I watch Ehlers play I remember watching Hemsky excel in that same league.

Don't mistake the player you see in Hemsky today versus how he was able to compete in a different league as an 18 year old.. A Hemsky is still a good pick and an above average player. He's a star but he's not a superstar. As I said, I'm wary.

I see Nylander as a mystery box. I don't really have a good feeling about him, I feel like he's one of those offensive players that have alot of tools, but have enough flaws that he could bust. Really risky pick.

And speaking of the Hemsky comparison, Nylander probably compares more to Hemsky than Ehlers. Atleast when we talk current Hemsky. I see where theminister was coming from with the Hemsky from his junior days.

A few things:

I have to agree with each of your bullets there.

Hemsky --> Ehlers comparison is actually a fantastic comparison I have to say, asides from Ehlers having a better release and shot at their draft eligible age but nonetheless a great comparison that I havent thought of, both were new/rookies to orth american hockey, similar size, skill/speed player

Ritchie is being underrated for sure

Nylander I just dont know enough cant judge him all i know is he has been highly touted for so long now

Barbashev I am a fan of, at worst he wil be a nikolai Kulemin third liner fringe second liner

Tuch has risen on the draft boards, only thing when I see him play his size is quite an advantage he really uses it, he fights off checks barges through smaller defenders drags guys he is a beast

Out of all of the guys you listed Ritche is the only one with a a chance at joining an NHL club right away I would think, because he has a strong IQ and vision, he has the size, his speed is not a problem and for his size thats impressive, he has an nhl quality shot at least it appears to be.

Archived