The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good stuff:

Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert (WHL), C/LW, 6'1", 208, 64 games, 38-67-105 +7

Strengths: Outstanding playmaker with good vision and soft hands. Hockey IQ very high.

Weaknesses: Struggled during WJC, skating could improve, not physical and could use size better.

I could see Draisaitl falling to 6th or 7th. I would still take Virtanen over him.

Yea on that team with DROUIN LOLOLOLOL

btw just realized Etem + Shinkaruk played for Medicine Hat just like weee Trevor Linden.. fast track the Etem + 10th + 27th from Anaheim for Kesler trade

1. Ehlers is just as much of a product of Drouin as Bo Horvat is a product of Max Domi (hint: both don't play together as often as you think).

2. LOLOLOLOL you are trading KESLER, not Eric Staal XD. The Ducks would laugh you off the phone if you asked for that. Asking for 2 firsts (one being 10th overall) AND a blue chipper for a player who hasn't even cracked 50 points or been on pace to for 3 years is a joke. There is a reason Kesler is being traded, the guy can't set up a teammate if his life depended on it. He plays 22+ minutes a night and didn't register a SINGLE assist since January and people think this guy is worth THAT MUCH??? Amazing. Kesler is by far and away the most overrated player on this roster. Prepare to be massively disappointed when he stays here or doesn't even remotely fetch that kind of value just like those folks saying in 2012 that Luongo would fetch something spectacular.

I streamed the 2nd and 3rd period. I don't think it's on TV. But TSN should have the highlights.

I didn't think to check until it was mentioned here. No replay on TV for the Canada/Sweden game, but TSN has the Canada/Russia game as well as a quarter and semi-final game showing in the guide currently.

Yea on dat team with DROUIN LOLOLOLOL

btw just realized Etem + Shinkaruk played for Medicine Hat just like weee Trevor Linden.. fast track the Etem + 10th + 27th from Anaheim for Kesler trade

ya just like crosby is only good because of kunitz jank is only good because of daniel horvat is only good because of domi

and gaunce is only good because of brown and fox is only good because of mcdavid

well I and most every other scout and newspaper and media type ALL have us picking one of the power forwards.....NOT Ehlers or Nylander or Kapanen.

THAT stat alone tells us something.....

The sooner ppl start to wrap their heads around it...the better.

We have 2-3 big dudes who all have size, skill and many other intangibles. Ya, some say we have those guys already but other than Kassian...WHO do we have?

Have a RH RW in Virtanen who loves to bowl thru ppl at only 17yrs of age and loves to shoot and score is what we been screaming for to compliment the twins....Nahhhh, what do we want that for?

We have big players/comparable players to those 2 in our organization: Kesler, Booth, Kassian on our roster, Grenier in the system, aswell as alot of other bigger players.

I don't see anyone in our organization that you could compare to Kapanen or Nylander. Ehlers could be compared to Shinkaruk, but its not a great comparison at all, and thats the only one.

What some people need to wrap there heads around IMO, is that this team's downfall was clearly going away from skill/puck possession in favour of size & toughness, we need to get back to skill & puck possession, this team has been a horrible offensive team the last 2 years, and that needs to change or we will become a perennial lottery team.

and btw.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cosentinos-2014-nhl-mock-draft/

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

exc.

Good stuff:

Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert (WHL), C/LW, 6'1", 208, 64 games, 38-67-105 +7

Strengths: Outstanding playmaker with good vision and soft hands. Hockey IQ very high.

Weaknesses: Struggled during WJC, skating could improve, not physical and could use size better.

I could see Draisaitl falling to 6th or 7th. I would still take Virtanen over him.

Boy am I glad that your not making the pick for us. If Draisaitl fell & we somehow took Virtanen ahead of him I would punch a hole through my TV & throw it out the window.

9. Jake Virtanen, Calgary (WHL), RW, 6', 213, 71 games, 45-26-71 +23

Strengths: Physical force, good shot, dominant mix of size/speed/skill

Weaknesses: Inconsistent. One-dimensional and doesn't pass well. Could use linemates better.

His weaknesses sound like the same criticisms Kesler has been getting since 2011. (as far as his offensive game goes).

We have big players/comparable players to those 2 in our organization: Kesler, Booth, Kassian on our roster, Grenier in the system, aswell as alot of other bigger players.

I don't see anyone in our organization that you could compare to Kapanen or Nylander. Ehlers could be compared to Shinkaruk, but its not a great comparison at all, and thats the only one.

What some people need to wrap there heads around IMO, is that this team's downfall was clearly going away from skill/puck possession in favour of size & toughness, we need to get back to skill & puck possession, this team has been a horrible offensive team the last 2 years, and that needs to change or we will become a perennial lottery team.

and btw.

exc.

Boy am I glad that your not making the pick for us. If Draisaitl fell & we somehow took Virtanen ahead of him I would punch a hole through my TV & throw it out the window.

Weaknesses: Inconsistent. One-dimensional and doesn't pass well. Could use linemates better.

His weaknesses sound like the same criticisms Kesler has been getting since 2011. (as far as his offensive game goes).

its not that kesler doesnt pass well. its that he doesnt pass period.

and btw.

exc.

If Draisaitl falls to us I will HUG my tv but Im assuming he doesnt, nor does Dal Colle.

I assume our downfall to be that all of our core players that went to war with the likes of LA and Chicago et others are hurtin and need replenishing. 3 years ago our team had a swagger and could out finesse teams due to speed and talent.

Virtanen is a guy that brings the puck to the net and instead of turning into a deer in Headlights(ala Raymond) he bangs the puck in. Goes to the greasy areas, hits like a tank and drops the gloves.

Ritchie does the same

Both are what this team needs for a re-tool.

Booth is working out soooo well that he is about to be bought out.....right? There goes THAT big body. Grenier couldnt get a sniff when we had the injuries we did.

If Draisaitl falls to us I will HUG my tv but Im assuming he doesnt, nor does Dal Colle.

I assume our downfall to be that all of our core players that went to war with the likes of LA and Chicago et others are hurtin and need replenishing. 3 years ago our team had a swagger and could out finesse teams due to speed and talent.

Virtanen is a guy that brings the puck to the net and instead of turning into a deer in Headlights(ala Raymond) he bangs the puck in. Goes to the greasy areas, hits like a tank and drops the gloves.

Ritchie does the same

Booth is working out soooo well that he is about to be bought out.....right? There goes THAT big body. Grenier couldnt get a sniff when we had the injuries we did.

That's why the Kesler to Anaheim trade is critical, so we get both.

VERY crucial. So many facets hinge on it IMO. Sure we can't trade Kesler to Wpg for Kane but if we trade Kesler to somewhere like Pitts or Anaheim, we can use THOSE assets to send to Wpg or replace the assets we send.

Soooo many options open up

So then try to trade Emerson and the 10th pick to Winnipeg for Kane? They might bite on it, if they are that down on Kane.

West vs East 2 completely different conferences very few small players thrive in the west

im not buying into that. I think alot of our scoring issues has to do with the fact that we are the slowest team out there. santorelli looked great this year. because hes the only guy who used speed.

but Schroeder has speed amd he sucked.

I dont know anymore.

Ritchie does the same

You say that we out finessed teams with speed and talent 3 years ago but Virtanen and Ritchie aren't going to help with speed and talent. They are power forwards who don't play the puck possession game like how Kapanen, Nylander and Ehlers play puck possession.

If being a puck possession team made us successful then we should go back to it because we beat big, physical teams like that. We didn't have to be big and tough and have players like Lucic to make the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

What's the purposed trade here? Kesler for 1st (Ott) and Emerson?

I truly think people need to get past the idea that Etem is available... at all.

He's a visible minority from the LBC with star potential. He's a blank cheque for the marketers in that franchise for the next dozen years. Murray should be fired if he trades him.

Actually, even so, Vatanen is a bigger need for the Canucks and the Ducks can spare him with Fowler and Lindholm in the fold.

Ritchie does the same

I personally think you have to have a combination of alot of things, like the Hawks did last year, they had alot of skill, played offensive puck possession, puck also had some bigger guys & a good defense with good goaltending.

I think we have good defense, good goaltending, and some big guys, but lack the high end skill that can create offense for the shooters & the big guys (those are also the guys that run the PP) which to me is why Kapanen is the perfect fit for our team. He addresses the areas this team lacks.

Our window closed because we didn't have the offensive talent, we started going to the bigger/tougher team after the finals, then in 2012 we lost because our best player was injured (along with some other key guys playing injured) and we didn't have the depth offensively to overcome that. The issues in 11 & 12 were the same, we couldn't score, its not that we weren't tough enough or big enough.

Now we have added size & toughness, and these last 2 years its been painfully obvious we can't score, and our offensive difficulties are the reason we have this pick, so why not use it to address our biggest need?

Virtanen doesn't do that to me, because he is like what we already have (and what hasn't worked) Kesler & Booth.

Which again leads me to Kapanen, or Ehlers or maybe Nylander, guys who can create offense and help other players offensively (Kesler, Booth, Higgins, exc) and can help the PP.

its not that kesler doesnt pass well. its that he doesnt pass period.

Ya I think he could be a good passer, and could put up more assists, he just always tries to put himself in a position to shoot rather than trying to create something with his linemates.

I would definitely put Ehlers ,Nylander and Kapanen in the high risk/high reward category and Ritchie in the low risk-low reward ...

Ehlers, Nylander & Ritchie I agree on.

Kapanen isn't high risk. He's probably one of the safer picks, but he's got high upside aswell.

To me he's low risk/high reward.

im not buying into that. I think alot of our scoring issues has to do with the fact that we are the slowest team out there. santorelli looked great this year. because hes the only guy who used speed.

but Schroeder has speed amd he sucked.

I dont know anymore.

I agree with you here.

Times have been tough for Schroeder, last year he was doing good things with the puck, creating offense for his teammates, he really had a tough time with injures & wasn't doing that (could be due partially to the difference in Torts system), he's got to get back to what he showed last season.

You say that we out finessed teams with speed and talent 3 years ago but Virtanen and Ritchie aren't going to help with speed and talent. They are power forwards who don't play the puck possession game like how Kapanen, Nylander and Ehlers play puck possession.

If being a puck possession team made us successful then we should go back to it because we beat big, physical teams like that. We didn't have to be big and tough and have players like Lucic to make the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

what was the end result?

Archived