The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are a couple players that have gone mostly unnoticed that are playing well at the u18 tourny.

Wondering if we should be looking at taking them.

2 Calgary Hitmen D men, one of which was named the Best player in todays game for Canada

Travis Sanhiem and Ben Thomas. Both potential second or third rounders.

Anyone know much about these guys

??

No, you're right, being picked at 6th really has nothing to do with how Jake Virtanen turns out (assuming that we do pick him)I wasn't trying to use it as a point to discredit you, just thought it was something funny to bring up.

You make fair points,

However, Brett Connolly is 6'2 210lb. and Jake Virtanen is 6'1 209 so yes they're about the same size.

Don't get me wrong you like Jake Virtanen and that's fine. I actually like Jake Virtanen too but I'm just worried that he's not going to be as good as everybody thinks and it'll be a waste of a sixth if/when other player selected after him pans out.

I could probably stand here and tell you that I watch Jake play all the time, but I have no proof. So take it from the scouts, it's their job to watch CHL players play all the time and while his athletic ability is incredibly enticing, most of them agree that he could probably dish the puck to some of his teammates a little more. Which shows that his on-ice vision is something that needs to be improved.

But if we select him and proves me wrong, then I'd be as happy as the rest of you.

Great, then why not take a chance on a player like Kapanen, Nylandr, or even Ehlers? If we're going to bake Virtanen in the minors for many years before he develops, why not pick Kapanen or Nylander who are at most only a couple inches shorter than him? Let them gain more weight and they'll be "NHL size." I honestly think that our prospect pool could use a little more elite level skill.

I thought Connolly was 180?

Anyway I hear ya man, it's really hard to tell who will pan out after the top 5. I like Virtanen but I'm also a fan of most of the top 10 and I'm not going to be mad with whoever we pick. I'm just happy we have the pick we have.

I don't think Perlini has nearly the skill Mantha does to be honest. And I don't really think they play the same either. Mantha is alot more crafty.

Mantha's skill is far superior, but they both find open areas of the ice to score goals. Most of their goals come from off the rushes, or one-timers from the half marks. Both shy away from the physical game, and aren't known for taking the puck to the net.

Virtanen has 4 points, everybody lower than him on Team Canada has 1 point.

There's no doubt that Virtanen has skill, but I wonder if his U18 success is due to him being much more physically developed than 16/17 year olds and the larger ice surface..

Calgary has center prospects, Monahan, Backlund, Arnold, Granlund, all fairly young centers. They are very low on RW's only have Ben Hanowski who isn't much. Maybe the Flames take Virtanen?

Islanders have no LWs that have top 6 potential but Dal Colle or Draisaitl should be on the board.

Regardless we are going to be getting a good prospect. Ritchie , Dal Colle, Virtanen or Ehlers. All good prospects, but id stay away from Ehlers with the 6th pick. Toronto should definitely take a look at him, hes suited to play in the east. We already have Shinkaruk, just aint happening.

3...2...1...counting down the time till it takes for SNYPER to come in here and tell me Ehlers is the next Bure.

After today's games Virtanen is my top choice.

Ritchie doesn't have blistering speed and I cannot believe how tough a call Linden will be making.

Its a good tough call. Both players will be decent NHL players. Virtanen has more upside but Ritchie will be an intimidating player with hands. Who doesnt want that?

After today's games Virtanen is my top choice.

Ritchie doesn't have blistering speed and I cannot believe how tough a call Linden will be making.

I don't know how you can change your top choice so often. 1 game was a choice changer? Who knows what could happen if Ritchie was in this tournament he might have had more points than Virtanen.

Virtanen is facing kids the same age as him, 16 year old and 15 year olds. He might be facing kids who are just hitting puberty so I wouldn't take this tournament too seriously, it is good to see how they play but it shouldn't have a significant impact on your choice.

We have to draft Kevin Fiala, that guy is one of the best players in the draft. Wow, please don't pass on him.

The first time he touched the puck in the WJ, I got his name and number looked him up and been checking on him ever since.

We have to draft Kevin Fiala, that guy is one of the best players in the draft. Wow, please don't pass on him.

The first time he touched the puck in the WJ, I got his name and number looked him up and been checking on him ever since.

Where is he projected to go? Would we need tp trade up? What's your assessment on Fiala? Strenghts? Weaknesses?

Gave Fiala a search, he's mid 20s, and the 3rd or 4th ranked Euro depending on which list.

Someone has to explain to me his first goal in this video, he either had no idea it was going in or banked it in so quickly that no one, including the goalie could comprehend what just happened:

Gave Fiala a search, he's mid 20s, and the 3rd or 4th ranked Euro depending on which list.

Someone has to explain to me his first goal in this video, he either had no idea it was going in or banked it in so quickly that no one, including the goalie could comprehend what just happened:

"Hey Brahh, whatcha up to tonite?" "Dude...Ive got tix to the HV71 game tonite"

"Go HV71!!"

"H-V-7-1!" Clap clap clap "H-V-7-1" clap clap clap

sounds like Svedens answer to swine flu....too much seal blubber lol

"Hey Brahh, whatcha up to tonite?" "Dude...Ive got tix to the HV71 game tonite"

"Go HV71!!"

"H-V-7-1!" Clap clap clap "H-V-7-1" clap clap clap

sounds like Svedens answer to swine flu....too much seal blubber lol

That is kind of a weird jersey eh.. how do you even say it? HV Seventy ones? Husqvarna seventy firsters haha

Consider him after Kapanen and Nylander, who are mid-first round types.

Archived