The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok so tell me what will happen if we pass on Virtanen and he turns into a star player? The media will go all nutty. I want Ritchie, but I wouldnt be shocked if they take Virtanen.

What if the Canucks pass on Ehlers because Virtanen is a hometown boy and Ehlers becomes a star? The media will go all nutty.

You pick a player either based on needs or because that player is the best available. I can understand someones reasoning for Virtanen if their reasons are based on the players skills. It's ridiculous to pick a player based on where he was born. The player can't choose where he is born but he can choose how good he is (yes, natural skill does help).

What if the Canucks pass on Ehlers because Virtanen is a hometown boy and Ehlers becomes a star? The media will go all nutty.

You pick a player either based on needs or because that player is the best available. I can understand someones reasoning for Virtanen if their reasons are based on the players skills. It's ridiculous to pick a player based on where he was born. The player can't choose where he is born but he can choose how good he is (yes, natural skill does help).

Its not ridiculous, but you have your opinion. Ehlers rated 7th and Virtanen rated 8th. Ones from B.C. the other isnt. How is it ridiculous to think they would go with the hometown boy. Unless they think Ehlers is the next patty Kane.

Its not ridiculous, but you have your opinion. Ehlers rated 7th and Virtanen rated 8th. Ones from B.C. the other isnt. How is it ridiculous to think they would go with the hometown boy. Unless they think Ehlers is the next patty Kane.

Picking Virtanen because he is a good player is perfectly fine. Picking Virtanen because he is from BC is not fine. If they were exactly identical players then I could understand going to the hometown idea, but they're not identical players and no two players ever are (and no Henrik and Daniel are not identical in their skills).

Ok so tell me what will happen if we pass on Virtanen and he turns into a star player? The media will go all nutty. I want Ritchie, but I wouldnt be shocked if they take Virtanen.

That's the absolute worst explanation ever. Drafting someone just to please the media?

That's the absolute worst explanation ever. Drafting someone just to please the media?

I dont want to please the media. I hate most of them ... Im saying what would happen if Virtanen becomes a star, and we pass on him. I dont think some of you guys get how skilled Virtanen is....

What are the chances either Drasaitl or Dal Colle falls to us?

Looking very good. It's almost certain that the OIlers will take Leon Drasaitl with the 3rd pick if he's not already taken. Ekblad is gauranteed gone by the 2nd pick.

Who falls out of top 5 and why?

Dal Colle, because of who? The man we want, Nick Ritchie.

Dal Colle's final 29 games of the season, he only notched 31 points. That' just a point per game down the stretch if you know what I mean, mean While Ritchie's best was actually the second half of his season, were he really took off, and carried his team through round 1 of the playoffs. Dal Colle in other words had a very sub par second half. Feel free to do math. This is why I strongly believe, that someone will decide to pick Nick Ritchie probably the Calgary Flamesbefore we have the chance, with Islanders probably picking up Sam Bennet with the 5th pick, leaving us with Michael Dal Cole, which to be honest, My head will reach the ceiling, cause I will extremely happy with him. Fan's who seen him play have nothing but awesome things to say, some compared him to Alex Ganchnyuk.

So yes I am starting to believe Dal Cole will be drafted by the Canucks with the 6th overall pick, and epic steal of all epic proportions.

there is nothing about me wanting Virtanen because he's from B.C, although he`s not my top choice at number 6, Virtanen is much safer pick, first off, he's a very fast skater, he's also much bigger then Ehlers, much more physical, and a deadly shot. Why wouldn't we want him? Ehlers on the other hand is an extremely dangers pick, as we've seen many times in the NHL entry draft, that 6'0 165 lb pound wingers who dominate the juniors fail miserably to do the same at the NHL. Examples are

Alexander Daigle. 6`0 feet winger, used his speed and racked up a crap load of points. Couldn`t pull that crap out in the NHL.

The Same with Ehlers.

Andrei Kostistyn

Pavel Brendl 6`0 European Winger(4th overall pick. deadly goal scorer from the WHL scored 73 goals in 68 games on draft year)

got hyped by his inflated numbers failed in the NHL

Nikolai Zherdev 6`0 European Winger ( Mini Kovalchuk, failed to live up to expectations. drafted 4th overall in a deep draft)

Alexander Vochkov 6`1 European Winger, total bust at number 4.

and most recently none other then

Nikita Filatov.

This guy was head to head equally as skilled As Stamkos. Filatov was cleary the second best foward in the leauge, since Stamkos is almost a lock. Filatov was a beast in the making, and he challenged Stamkos for number, mean while we have Ehlers who probably is not even considered in the number 5, with Canucks not even wanting him at number 6, and how the hell did Filatov turn out.

The NHL was too tough for him. He couldn`t execute the moves he was able to pull off on a regular basis. Flew to Russia, and is now in the KHL.

my order with the 6 overall pick

1) anyone that falls from the top 5

2)Nick Ritchie (if we draft him we dont need to worry about size in the next 2-3 years)

3) Jake Virtanen ( Skill can't be taught, defence and sharing the puck can. Beast at 17 (he's a brick)

A side note i wouldnt mind Carolina's pick at 7 as well

having the 6th and 7th pick be crazy Ritchie and Virtanen (WOW)

tell kesler sharing the puck can be taught...actually it cant its how a player see's the ice that determines if he shares the puck or not...hockey iq lacking on vertanen sorry

there is nothing about me wanting Virtanen because he's from B.C, although he`s not my top choice at number 6, Virtanen is much safer pick, first off, he's a very fast skater, he's also much bigger then Ehlers, much more physical, and a deadly shot. Why wouldn't we want him? Ehlers on the other hand is an extremely dangers pick, as we've seen many times in the NHL entry draft, that 6'0 165 lb pound wingers who dominate the juniors fail miserably to do the same at the NHL. Examples are

Alexander Daigle. 6`0 feet winger, used his speed and racked up a crap load of points. Couldn`t pull that crap out in the NHL.

The Same with Ehlers.

Andrei Kostistyn

Pavel Brendl 6`0 European Winger(4th overall pick. deadly goal scorer from the WHL scored 73 goals in 68 games on draft year)

got hyped by his inflated numbers failed in the NHL

Nikolai Zherdev 6`0 European Winger ( Mini Kovalchuk, failed to live up to expectations. drafted 4th overall in a deep draft)

Alexander Vochkov 6`1 European Winger, total bust at number 4.

and most recently none other then

Nikita Filatov.

This guy was head to head equally as skilled As Stamkos. Filatov was cleary the second best foward in the leauge, since Stamkos is almost a lock. Filatov was a beast in the making, and he challenged Stamkos for number, mean while we have Ehlers who probably is not even considered in the number 5, with Canucks not even wanting him at number 6, and how the hell did Filatov turn out.

The NHL was too tough for him. He couldn`t execute the moves he was able to pull off on a regular basis. Flew to Russia, and is now in the KHL.

you mention all these bad ones and forget to mention the good ones...

Sidney Crosby

Patrick Kane

Zach Parise

Tyler ennis

st Louis

Ray whitney

Jordan Eberle

just to name a few. and these guys are 5'11 or smaller. not all wingers but you get my point.

you mention all these bad ones and forget to mention the good ones...

Sidney Crosby

Patrick Kane

Zach Parise

Tyler ennis

st Louis

Ray whitney

Jordan Eberle

just to name a few. and these guys are 5'11 or smaller. not all wingers but you get my point.

I think his point was to name smaller European players... I would say smaller under 6' European players that played in Europe prior to the draft are very dangerous top 12 picks.

There is definitely pressure to pick Virtanen.Theres some added value of getting a player who has always been a fan of the team.IE probably will never leave,possibly play for less and play with more heart and pride.Virtanen has put the pressure on Van by playing himself into conversation at 6-10.

I don't want to start another draft thread. But I am very curious about this. So I'm just going to post it in here and hope to get quite a few replies. Will you be upset if the Canuck's pick one of the players you don't want?

It appears that there's a group that wants a European and another group that wants a North American. I realize that people aren't making their choices based on which continent but it simplifies things and helps explain the question. So if you like Virtanen or Ritchie would you not like Ehlers or Nylander if we draft them?

I don't want to start another draft thread. But I am very curious about this. So I'm just going to post it in here and hope to get quite a few replies. Will you be upset if the Canuck's pick one of the players you don't want?

It appears that there's a group that wants a European and another group that wants a North American. I realize that people aren't making their choices based on which continent but it simplifies things and helps explain the question. So if you like Virtanen or Ritchie would you not like Ehlers or Nylander if we draft them?

Despite my order looking like:

1) Nylander

2) Ritchie

3) Virtanen

4) Ehlers

5) Kapanen

I'll be psyched if regardless of who we get. They're all great prospects, and I'm ecstatic that we'll have one in our system on June 27.

Despite my order looking like:

1) Nylander

2) Ritchie

3) Virtanen

4) Ehlers

5) Kapanen

I'll be psyched if regardless of who we get. They're all great prospects, and I'm ecstatic that we'll have one in our system on June 27.

I feel the same, about being psyched regardless of who we get. Like everyone else I have an opinion on who I want but I will 100% back who ever we select. The way I look at it is that scouts have a much better look at these players than me and most of CDC. So I will be excited no matter what. I'm curious if most people share this opinion though. How many people are going to instantly put down our new prospect simply because it wasn't "their guy"

I don't really care.. I have my preferences from dreaming about what certain players could be if they reach potential but I'm not going to pretend I know more than professional scouts and start calling players bad picks. These guys aren't ranked in the top ten because a bunch of guys watched YouTube videos, checked stat sheets and discussed attitude rumors on message boards. They watched them play night in and night out and see big potential in each one.

Whoever we pick 6th overall will be picked for good reasons that not one guy on cdc can effectively counter with their internet research.

While I enjoy talking hockey with 90% of my cdc friends, nobody on here is going to convince me they know more than a man paid top dollar to watch young players not only this year but many years leading up to it.

I will be thrilled with any of them and it's going to be exciting to watch him grow as a player in the blue and green.

Nylander's tournament ended today with a loss to the Americans. He led the tournament in scoring, but the majority of the points came in meaningless fashion while his team trounced some weaker competition.

He won't be in the top-5 in this draft based on what we've seen. I don't think he'll even be in the top-10.

The kid looks like the Swedish Coho to me.

Here's what i mean:

Player in question: Coho - Nylander

Right-Shooting Winger/Center: Check - Check

Offensively Skilled: Check - Check

Good shot: Check - Check

Speed looks good at junior level: Check - Check

Skating still not elite: Check - Check

Top point-scoring threat in U18 tournament: Check - Check

Not big: Check - Check

Not physical: Check - Check

Not a defensive factor: Check - Check

Reported to not have attitude issues: Check - Check

Still has had team/attitude-related issues: Check - Check

Rich kid: Check - Check

Father directly involved in career: Check - Check

Looks like a girl: Not really - Check

I don't think the Canucks want or need another Cody Hodgson, let lone a frail Swedish Cody Hodgson who looks like a girl.

JP_Rapperswill_-_RB_880207v530x800.jpg

Pass please.

I'd understand and be ok if we didn't pick the player I want as i'm not a professional scout and don't have a background in what to look for in trying to predict a kids future. Even if the player I wanted gets picked to different team and turns out to be a real superstar, i'd still be ok with who we get as again, i'm not a true scout and my opinion on who i want it just a personal feeling based on the very little I know about the player.

People on this site like to pretend they are pro scouts and know better than the people that are paid to scout for a living. If the person they want turns out to better they will scream and call it out but in reality it was just a lucky guess. It just like the stock market, people always say "see I told you should have invested in that" but they are never confident enough to risk losing there own money.

Archived