The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After the top 4 B Mac was pretty off imo. Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapanen and Fleury too high, Nylander and Ehlers way too low

Mackenzie cares about getting the draft order correct. Small guys fall and big guys rise in the draft. Whereas a guy like Button predicts future success.

Vancouver management could go a number of different directions but it all depends on what we get out of the Kesler trade. Right now in our prospect pool we have this:

Gritty middle 6 centers: Horvat, Gaunce, Matthias, Lain

Skilled top-6 centers: Schroeder, Cassels

Gritty top-9 wingers: Kassian, Fox, Archibald, Hansen

Skilled top-9 wingers: Shinkaruk, Jensen

Top-4 defencemen: Tanev, Corrado

We're honestly lacking in just about every position, but depending on what Kesler brings us, we should draft the opposite. For example, if the Kesler trade brings us Etem or Smith-Pelley, we naturally should go the Nylander/Ehlers route. If he brings us a pick around #10 we should go for Fleury to bolster our top-4 defencemen.

Nylander would have success with the Sedins, Ehlers would fit perfectly onto this team with Jensen (as well as Hansen), and the big physical guys like Virtanen/Ritchie would do well with a center like Horvat. Obviously if we somehow snag MDC, he and Cassels could play with each other. A lot of options that this team could go either way on and have success.

at the end of all this, it's really Ritchie/Nylander with the the 6th pick at 50/50

Note this: this is a ranking of prospects, and not a mock draft.

I am pretty sure unless we trade up or a top 5 falls we are taking Virtanen or Ritchie. I wish we would take Nylander but I think thats wishful thinking.

My read is that it's 80% Virtanen, 20% chance we pick Nylander. Either that or we're moving up and picking Reinhart

1. Ekblad - Florida's gonna take the big man.

2. Bennett - Buffalo is sold on the overall game. Ranked #1 by CSS.

3. Draisaitl - Edmonton needs a big center.

4. Reinhart - Calgary very excited that this player 'falls' to them.

5. Dal Colle - NYI already planning for him.

6. Virtanen - Obvious pick that suits what Linden/Benning have been talking about.

7. Ehlers - Carolina rolls dice.

8. Ritchie - TO drafts another big winger who they'll upsell as a center.

9. Nylander - Winnipeg rolls dice on offensive upside.

10. Fleury - Anaheim adds another bluechipper d-man

11. Fabbri - Nash wants some flash

12. Tuch - Phoenix nabs a Doan successor

13. Barbashev - Washington continues Russian theme

14. Fiala - Dallas

15. Goldobin - Detroit

Word in calgary is Calgary Flames want another pick in the top 8

The will be keeping their 4th overall and with that pick will select a center.

There first choice is Reinhart. A right handed center (Monahan is left handed) that will give flames a great 1-2 punch down the middle. They love his vision.

If Reinhart is gone they will take Draisaitl. The big German who they feel has the best playmaking ability in the draft. He’s big and extremely hard to knock of the puck. He works hard in the corners and has great puck control along the boards, similar to Jagr.

Flames then will try to obtain another top 8 pick. The will use their currency (Two 2nd round picks) and possible roster spots to go after this pick.

They will likely try to get the 5th overall from NYI who are said to be entertaining offers (could Wideman as well as the Canes at 7th. FLA’s asking price is too much and FLA would likely want a top 6 pick going back the other way, this defeats the purpose of Calgary getting two picks in the top 8.

Calgary really likes Virtanen, Dal Colle and Fluery, Whether they want a winger with that second top 10 pick or a D all depends on where they could be picking (5th vs 7th) and who would be available.

I'm assuming alot of you guys watched the U18s but whenever the first line was on (Milano-Eichel-Tuch), all I saw was Eichel and Milano owning the play and Tuch sitting infront of the net or being useless. Not to say he's garbage but even when I watched several USHL games, Tuch wasn't very noticeable. I think he lacks the skill to be a highly coveted PWF, I think he has the ceiling of a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

I don't see the skill in him.

Right now in our prospect pool we have this:

Gritty middle 6 centers: Horvat, Gaunce, Matthias, Lain

Skilled top-6 centers: Schroeder, Cassels

Gritty top-9 wingers: Kassian, Fox, Archibald, Hansen

Skilled top-9 wingers: Shinkaruk, Jensen

Top-4 defencemen: Tanev, Corrado

...and yet some are going hog-wild over trading away Shinkaruk and/or Jensen.

Archived