The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NHL isn't all about 6'5 250 pound goons either. We have role players, we don't have enough skill, finesse players who simply score.

I like some of the stuff I hear about Nylander. I liked him more when I thought we were going to pick around the 9-11 range. There are better prospects to be had in my opinion. I havent seen him play either, so that makes me uneasy. Im guessing a lot of the people who want Kapanen/Nylander have seen them play?

I like some of the stuff I hear about Nylander. I liked him more when I thought we were going to pick around the 9-11 range. There are better prospects to be had in my opinion. I havent seen him play either, so that makes me uneasy. Im guessing a lot of the people who want Kapanen/Nylander have seen them play?

I've seen them internationally and during some other tournaments over internet streams. I don't watch every game but probably have seen them both compete about 15-25 times this season.

I'm not 100% sold on Nylander, he's very intriguing, the highest boom upside but also the most likely bust out of the skill guys around our pick IMO.

If attitude problems are correct I would stay away, but I don't think we should say for sure he has attitude problems, it was brought up in one USA today article (US media outlets aren't known for there great wealth of hockey knowledge) and I haven't really heard it anywhere else.

There are things in his game I worry about aswell, but they can be corrected, unless he has attitude problems then that maximizes the red flags with him all around.

I'm not 100% sold on Nylander, he's very intriguing, the highest boom upside but also the most likely bust out of the skill guys around our pick IMO.

If attitude problems are correct I would stay away, but I don't think we should say for sure he has attitude problems, it was brought up in one USA today article (US media outlets aren't known for there great wealth of hockey knowledge) and I haven't really heard it anywhere else.

There are things in his game I worry about aswell, but they can be corrected, unless he has attitude problems then that maximizes the red flags with him all around.

I agree. I think at 6th overall there are better options available. I think Ehlers or Kaspanen or hell even Ritchie would be better picks. Now if we were at 10th and Nylander fell to us, I would be ecstatic but there are just better options available at our spot. That being said, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did pick Nylander.

I agree. I think at 6th overall there are better options available. I think Ehlers or Kaspanen or hell even Ritchie would be better picks. Now if we were at 10th and Nylander fell to us, I would be ecstatic but there are just better options available at our spot. That being said, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did pick Nylander.

Ya this is my order of preference:

1. Any top 5 guy that falls (if they fall)

2. Kapanen

3. Ehlers

--------------------

4. Nylander/Ritchie

I wouldn't be disappointed with Nylander or Ritchie, but I would prefer one of the top 3 options.

I've seen them internationally and during some other tournaments over internet streams. I don't watch every game but probably have seen them both compete about 15-25 times this season.

So Nylander is a slick skating play maker and Kapanen is a speedy, 2-way forward? From what you have seen does Nylander have the strength, or the know how to play a 2-way game or is he a floater? If Nylander does well in the combine it might regain my attention, but for right now hes not even in my top 9.

2. Kapanen

3. Ehlers

--------------------

4. Nylander/Ritchie

I wouldn't be disappointed with Nylander or Ritchie, but I would prefer one of the top 3 options.

not a virtanen fan sk?

So Nylander is a slick skating play maker and Kapanen is a speedy, 2-way forward? From what you have seen does Nylander have the strength, or the know how to play a 2-way game or is he a floater? If Nylander does well in the combine it might regain my attention, but for right now hes not even in my top 9.

He needs defensive adjustment

I think we hit a home-run in the last draft.

I'd settle for a double this season as it's a pretty weak draft overall.

I don't think size really matters, we need to find players who have an endless gas tank. Kind of a guy like Jaden Schwartz.

The ONLY way I take Nylander is if I trade down to 9th or lower.

Really no point there will be better players available all over the board. Even rather take a flyer on trading down to get Fluery and extra picks than drop out of the top 6 forwards and take a risk on a longer term project than we are already looking at with whoever we draft.

Because really, make no mistake. Outside of Ritchie, Ekblad, Draisatl and Reinhart none of the other top 6 forwards (and Ekblad is a defenseman, I know but he'd step in right away) would be worth risking slotting in to the NHL right away and would be better served as players and to the team being developed.

I have a feeling that outside of 2 or 3 guys the rest of the players will be massive success or mediocre failure in the top 10 depending on how exactly they are developed in the long term.

As in getting a player and not even considering bringing them in to the league until they're 21 years or older and have a full AHL season at least under their belt.

Said it countless times. We've a core and a logjam of C/LW players on the roster that allow us to develop the next 2 years worth of draft picks plus the last 2 years worth of picks properly and still maintain a competitive team in the standings.

In my personal opinion, even if we traded up for Reinhart, Ekblad or Dal Colle....i'd stil want to leave them in the CHL or AHL for another year or two anyways. Because unless we are terrible next year and luck out in a deep draft the player we get this year could be the defining draft pick of the decade for this team moving forward in terms of franchise player.

At 6, no.

I think he will be a solid NHLer, 2nd liner, but with his lack of hockey sense I don't think his upside much more than that.

I respect your opinion but when it comes to Virtanen, I see him like a mould of clay. If the canucks drafted him and moulded him how they wanted and do a good job he has 1st line potential. Hes big for 17, hes fast, amazing shot, physical. He has all the tools.

Really no point there will be better players available all over the board. Even rather take a flyer on trading down to get Fluery and extra picks than drop out of the top 6 forwards and take a risk on a longer term project than we are already looking at with whoever we draft.

Because really, make no mistake. Outside of Ritchie, Ekblad, Draisatl and Reinhart none of the other top 6 forwards (and Ekblad is a defenseman, I know but he'd step in right away) would be worth risking slotting in to the NHL right away and would be better served as players and to the team being developed.

I have a feeling that outside of 2 or 3 guys the rest of the players will be massive success or mediocre failure in the top 10 depending on how exactly they are developed in the long term.

As in getting a player and not even considering bringing them in to the league until they're 21 years or older and have a full AHL season at least under their belt.

Said it countless times. We've a core and a logjam of C/LW players on the roster that allow us to develop the next 2 years worth of draft picks plus the last 2 years worth of picks properly and still maintain a competitive team in the standings.

In my personal opinion, even if we traded up for Reinhart, Ekblad or Dal Colle....i'd stil want to leave them in the CHL or AHL for another year or two anyways. Because unless we are terrible next year and luck out in a deep draft the player we get this year could be the defining draft pick of the decade for this team moving forward in terms of franchise player.

Im not worried about the Canucks rushing prospects. Plus they have their own farm team now. They can mould players and put them into situations where they will become better players. It took way too damn long for this to happen.... Next year will be great for a lot of our guys getting top line minutes in the AHL.

2. Kapanen

3. Ehlers

--------------------

4. Nylander/Ritchie

:lol: Our list is the same except I would prefer Ehlers over Kapanen.

Thing about Nylander is, with his upside if developed right he could end up being the best player from this draft class.

It doesn't matter who we take, if its Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapanen, or even if one of the top 5 fall. We won't rush them.

I don't think our forward positions are as set in stone as you do, if whoever we draft shows in a year or two that they are ready for a full time role & can help this team then we can make room for them, and with our lack of offense if they can bring offense then I would absolutely make room.

But with that being said, we shouldn't rush them anyways, should let them develop, let them gain experience, get bigger, stronger & better regardless of who it is.

And for me since we are going to let them take there time to develop I would rather get someone with higher upside like a Nylander or Ehlers or Kapanen.

This pick should really be about high upside, we have taken alot of safe picks lately, and with our lack of offense we should really go for someone who has the change to be a big time impact player & a core pillar of the franchise down the road.

Archived