The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That article is completely useless, they base everything purely on p/pg. There’s more to being a better player than just getting more points.

Ehlers doesn’t change the game outlook. He is a good piece to a team, he’s not the key piece. Kessel and Ovechkin are pieces to a team. But they care more about their own individual numbers rather than try to improve the team. Don’t get me wrong Ovi and Kessel are good players but they are not the difference makers in winning and losing. I would take a Kopitar, Toews, even Landeskog over them any day. They are your heart and soul players and it’s why they are more valuable the just point players. It’s also why they tend to go higher in the draft. If it was just based on points, why even have a draft, why not just assign the top point player to the number 1 pick.

Sam Bennett may not be able to do a pull up but he has the ability to put his team on his back and take the team to the extra mile. He makes his teammates around him better players.

“Virtanen can either become Kyle Beach or Landeskog”???? Why because they put up similar numbers? They are completely different type of players and different playing styles. Why did Beach go 11th when Landeskog go number 2, because there’s more to winning then just putting up high stats. This is the best example of how that write up was a complete joke and waste of time reading.

It's why you actually have to watch the player play a game and see how they react in different game situations and you can’t just base things off of stats. Stats are only one factor.

Not saying Ehlers is worse or better than Virtanen, just stating that using stats as the only means to compare is pure junk

Although I agree with you on most of what you said the bolded part is somewhat wrong. Yes points aren't everything, but it's called a hockey TEAM. You need players like Ovechkin, like Kessel, like Kane to be offense first players. They play a very vital part on a hockey team.

Just like how power forwards create space, skilled players create better match ups. It's like us and the Sedins. We put them out there and they attract the best defensive players on opposing teams, which creates easier competition for the 2nd/3rd/4th line. Every type of player plays a role on a team, it just so happens that the skilled players play one of the bigger roles on a team. There's a reason why they get more minutes and get more recognition. Heart and soul guys are just as important if not more important, but heart and soul guys can only thrive if they have the skilled players to take some of the heat off once and a while.

A good team has a balance of different types of players. The Canucks are about to lose their only REAL high skill players, that's why people are leaning towards the skilled euros. We have heart and soul, big, 2 way prospects, what we're missing is high end skill, offense first players to take over for the Sedins. Whether it be Ehlers or Nylander, they'll be groomed to take over that role on our team. Whether they can achieve that level is still a question mark.

Bennett is a consensus top 3 for a reason. Landeskog put up 66 points in 53 games and was drafted 2nd overall. Points are not everything. Bennett has no weaknesses while Ehlers is a one dimensional player. Despite his size, Bennett shows a lot of bite and does not back down. The same can't be said about Ehlers.

Ehlers is far from one dimensional

No they didnt. You are making it up off the top of your head. Some fan asked that question but they did not agree with him.

He is 6ft and 176 pounds now. Almost the exact same size as Mac Kinnon and Sam Bennett.

Please provide a valid course stating he's 176. Do not ignore this request. failure to do so, will be like my 10th time me asking you for a bloody source on random claims you've made in the pass.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2081868-nhl-combine-2014-full-results-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

Here you go bro! No lies. I'm being fair, i'm not trolling i'm providing a link, a link that is after the tests, these are the combine results... don't try to deceive people please or mislead them.

Ehlers is 162 clocking in at exactly 5 feet 11.

Please don't be surprised, as I already posted this in the last page, I know you seen it, you seen it why do you still claim he's 6'0 and 176? He's not. stop lying to people.

If he doesn't add muscle he's going to get owned like Mason Raymond whois often gets out muscled because of his 170 stature.

Please provide a valid course stating he's 176. Do not ignore this request. failure to do so, will be like my 10th time me asking you for a bloody source on random claims you've made in the pass.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2081868-nhl-combine-2014-full-results-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

Here you go bro! No lies. I'm being fair, i'm not trolling i'm providing a link, a link that is after the tests, these are the combine results... don't try to deceive people please or mislead them.

Please don't be surprised, as I already posted this in the last page, I know you seen it, you seen it why do you still claim he's 6'0 and 176? He's not. stop lying to people.

If he doesn't add muscle he's going to get owned like Mason Raymond whois often gets out muscled because of his 170 stature.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=85782&sort=finalRank&year=2014

The weight is usually not far off in the final version, it was also leaked several places right after combine that he was around 175 lbs

People are capable of growing in both weight and height, including Ehlers. I am sure Ehlers knows he needs to pack some pounds if he wants a chance to make the jump to the NHL. Players like Ehlers are more project type guys who can really pay off.

Personally, I would choose Nylander over Ehlers though.

If Ehlers did in fact weigh 176 at the combine you can bet that today he weighs 170ish. I have no doubt that he was eating imodium like candy and carb-loading like crazy the week of the draft because he and his agent know the importance of weight. Conversely I am sure that Ritchie is walking around at least 5 pounds more than he was at the combine for the same reasons.

If Ehlers did in fact weigh 176 at the combine you can bet that today he weighs 170ish. I have no doubt that he was eating imodium like candy and carb-loading like crazy the week of the draft because he and his agent know the importance of weight. Conversely I am sure that Ritchie is walking around at least 5 pounds more than he was at the combine for the same reasons.

^^^ :picard::picard::picard:

So who's going to be announcing our pick? Gilman has announced pick 09-present.

Benning? Linden? Gilman? Other?

I think it'll be Benning, be interesting to hear what you guys think...?

I'd say Linden because I believe he'll have a more personal connection with the team, but Benning will control it

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=85782&sort=finalRank&year=2014

The weight is usually not far off in the final version, it was also leaked several places right after combine that he was around 175 lbs

I appreciate your reply. I'm not too sure the accuracy of your link. He's listed as 5'10. My link are the combine results for all the players. Unless you can find me the leaked version. The link you also provided is not known to be accurate. I aslo posted the link from his team site . Has him at 163. That's his team site.

Again mine are from the combine results. Posted May 31st. Tests were conducted on May 30th You funny ehlers lovers are condemning it, because he's not listed as 176. It's like you guys refuse to accept he is under weight. Look at the link I provided. These are players heights to the very dot.

Example Sam Reinhart. He's not listed as 6'1 he's listed at 6'0 .75. Example. Nick ritchie he was listed as 6'3 but when they actually measured him he was only 6'2.25. 226 lbs. our new favourite, willy Nylander 5'11.0 169 lbs.

Anyways regardless what happens we can kick and scream all we want, they already p know who they are drafting.

I appreciate your reply. I'm not too sure the accuracy of your link. He's listed as 5'10. My link are the combine results for all the players. Unless you can find me the leaked version. The link you also provided is not known to be accurate. I aslo posted the link from his team site . Has him at 163. That's his team site.

Again mine are from the combine results. Posted May 31st. Tests were conducted on May 30th You funny ehlers lovers are condemning it, because he's not listed as 176. It's like you guys refuse to accept he is under weight. Look at the link I provided. These are players heights to the very dot.

Example Sam Reinhart. He's not listed as 6'1 he's listed at 6'0 .75. Example. Nick ritchie he was listed as 6'3 but when they actually measured him he was only 6'2.25. 226 lbs. our new favourite, willy Nylander 5'11.0 169 lbs.

Anyways regardless what happens we can kick and scream all we want, they already p know who they are drafting.

The combine data was NOT published. They handed out pre-combine data flyers at the combine, people have mistakenly thought that was the new numbers. Some of the weight numbers leaked a few days later, Ehlers being one of the updated weight numbers.

Anyways bout the ehlers weight stuff, we all clearly don't know his exact he's height an weight. With all the discrepancies among all the measurements posted on a variety of sites with different dates they are all too varied.

The best take away is a range he falls in he is obviously 5 11-6 ft tall and he is between 163-175 lbs heavy with a bf % from the combined well below 10%.

Meening his whole body is pretty much muscle mass. I couldn't find Sam Bennett's bf% but say he's at 12% and ehlers was at 7 % that 5 % difference is huge because their weight difference could be just fat.

Just a point. And look at Chris Kreiders weight gain from when he was drafted guy was pinner when drafted, no reason why Ehlers won't be able to have NHL weight with NHL trainers and nutritionists that wouldn't be my worry.

My worry would be will his game translate. As that's the primary concern with all prospects

Archived