The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kapanen - 6'0

Bennett - 6'0

Reinhart - 6'1

Virtanen - 6'1

McCann - 6'1

Why is Kapanen "undersized" but these guys aren't? He's bigger than Bennett & McCann, on par with Reinhart, and nearly as tall as Virtanen.

I have also seen some sites that have Ehlers at 6'0 aswell.

Who does him being from Abbotsford have to do with hockey skill or being the BPA.

David Booth has speed, size & a good shot aswell.

Kapanen is described everywhere as small. But whatever you want to believe, he's nowhere near 6th. So irrelevant.

Funny you ask why Virtanen being from Abbotford should matter while at the same time bringing up David Booth, as if David Booth were relevant in this discussion.

However, the context of the Abbotsford discussion was about why CDC got a huge boner about WHL player Shinkaruk who fell in the draft, but is not allowed to be excited about Virtanen as a prospect, a local kid who has a comparable skill-set with more physical attributes.

Seems like by safe you mean low upside.

I wouldn't have Perlini (or even Virtanen) in my safe list, and I sure as hell wouldn't have Kapanen in my risky list.

I'm curious to know, what don't you like about Perlini?

He got the size, speed, and a wrist shot like a NHL sniper.

Ehlers & Kapanen aren't soft.

6'0 and 5'11 isn't undersized.

I'm pretty sure Ehlers, Nylander & Kapanen are offensive stars, check out Ehlers stats, watch Nylander/Kapanen video. Pretty obvious the skill is there.

And Virtanen isn't as fast as Ehlers, Nylander or Kapanen (especially not Ehlers who is easily the best skater in the draft IMO).

Virtanen is David Booth 2.0, the problems with David Booth about having low hockey IQ, and those types of things are the same problems with Virtanen. Besides the fact that taking him at 6 is a huge reach, there are better players available.

Ehlers is definitely undersized and Kapanen will never be considered large. Both play a softish perimeter game. I have more hope for Kapanen down the road as his dad was okay defensively, but Ehlers? Doubtful he's anything but one-dimensional QMJHL flash.

Lots of skilled prospects do not succeed in the NHL. Most of those guys are, you guessed it, undersized. The other major factor is lack of speed.

If we took Virtanen at #6 i'd be fine with it. I believe your assessment to be wrong.

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another thing to be completely wrong. You obviously don't know a lot about European hockey at all.

You're right I don't know much about European hockey. But I do understand NHL hockey and drafting. This will be a good learning experience for when Nylander doesn't go in the top 6

If we HAVE to take a European I hope it is Ehlers really.

He at least knows the NA game, he plays the longer schedule he has a champions pedigree via the team he plays on and knowing that no matter what pick we take that isn't Reinhart, Dal Colle or Ekblad; will be in development for 3 ish years or so...I feel much more comfortable doing that.

Look at Jensen, multiple years of nothing and the entire board is screaming bust. Imagine doing this with Kapanen or Nylander, they'd be calling for Lindens head.

Ekblad

reinhart

Dal Colle

Ehlers

In that order

#1 D man

Guaranteed top 6 Center

Guaranteed top 6 Winger with Cassels waiting in the org for him

Almost guaranteed skilled top 6 player

I'd rather go with that route than waiting and hoping for a Kapanen or Nylander blossoming. Which as we have all seen via endless european picks touted very highly ....they flame out in transition to NA more often than NA junior prospects do

If we HAVE to take a European I hope it is Ehlers really.

He at least knows the NA game, he plays the longer schedule he has a champions pedigree via the team he plays on and knowing that no matter what pick we take that isn't Reinhart, Dal Colle or Ekblad; will be in development for 3 ish years or so...I feel much more comfortable doing that.

Look at Jensen, multiple years of nothing and the entire board is screaming bust. Imagine doing this with Kapanen or Nylander, they'd be calling for Lindens head.

Ekblad

reinhart

Dal Colle

Ehlers

In that order

#1 D man

Guaranteed top 6 Center

Guaranteed top 6 Winger with Cassels waiting in the org for him

Almost guaranteed skilled top 6 player

I'd rather go with that route than waiting and hoping for a Kapanen or Nylander blossoming. Which as we have all seen via endless european picks touted very highly ....they flame out in transition to NA more often than NA junior prospects do

Nylander started his ice hockey career playing NA hockey, adjusting back I do not think would be difficult, if other swedes can with zero NA exposure and his quoted high hockey IQ I am sure he could figure it out.

Kapanen, the league he plays in is very similar to NA hockey, if anything it is more NA then QMJHL, I am sure it is more tight checking and physically demanding then Q is what I meen.

Hard to compare Jensen, a late first rounder to potential top ten guys and top 2 euro talents in draft, and all of the 2011 draft class is still trying to figure it out, none of them asides from Landeskog, have really established themselves as a certified impact forward, although a few of them look like they will be. Zibanejad serves as a better comparison as he was the top ranked euro heading into the draft.

Jensen draft class are all coming into their own now, and next year will be the telling year for most of them, he seems to be fitting right in development wise with all of them in my opinion

Nylander started his ice hockey career playing NA hockey, adjusting back I do not think would be difficult, if other swedes can with zero NA exposure and his quoted high hockey IQ I am sure he could figure it out.

Kapanen, the league he plays in is very similar to NA hockey, if anything it is more NA then QMJHL, I am sure it is more tight checking and physically demanding then Q is what I meen.

OK. Now here is the question.

You need to score goals and win the game.

Who do want on your team in 5 years backed by larger players on their line

Ehlers

Nylander

Kapanen

For me it is Ehlers and that is after a ton of reading bios and watching vids. The kid (and I hate saying this) between the 3 of them IS the game breaker. Nylander is a shade slow, Kapanen is a shade weak in the corners and Ehlers is only a shade small. In 5 years of course that could all change but....

loool

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=714502

this is fun my 7th try was nux! NYI, CGY, FLO, TOR, CGY, EDM, NUX,,,,

Didnt even get Buffalo LOL

I got Vancouver 1st try.

The Canucks need to take a skilled player in this draft. Either Ehlers or Nylander fits the bill. They have enough depth guys with size on this team. I know Linden wants to emulate Boston, but the Bruins best forward in the playoffs in 2011 and 2013 was a smaller, skilled guy (Krejci). You need those guys to succeed in the playoffs, and the Canuck need to grab one at the 6th overall pick. They don't have enough of those players in the system.

If the Canucks stay at 6, I think they'll draft Nylander.

What about Kapanen?

I'm curious to know, what don't you like about Perlini?

He got the size, speed, and a wrist shot like a NHL sniper.

Seems like a project player. Doesn't use his size effectively, and I don't see his offensive upside as anything too high. He's doesn't seem to be a high skill guy, he's just got a good shot and speed, isn't an offensive dynamo like Ehlers/Nylander/Kapanen/MDC/exc.

He was streaky this year, and he seems like a perimeter player who just likes to shoot from the outside rather than taking the puck to the net and using his size.

He plays a solid two-way game, just not a ton of upside IMO. Beniot Pouliot type player. We need to get a guy with higher upside at #6.

Ehlers

Nylander

Kapanen

For me it is Ehlers and that is after a ton of reading bios and watching vids. The kid (and I hate saying this) between the 3 of them IS the game breaker. Nylander is a shade slow, Kapanen is a shade weak in the corners and Ehlers is only a shade small. In 5 years of course that could all change but....

I do not know who I would most honestly, I have only watched Ehlers play full games, so i cant say.

I got Vancouver 1st try.

In 5 minutes I hope your luck is repeated ERMAHGERD!

You're right I don't know much about European hockey. But I do understand NHL hockey and drafting. This will be a good learning experience for when Nylander doesn't go in the top 6

Then stop acting like canadian junior leagues are better as far as competition goes. It's another thing to speculate if he can transition his game to the NHL or not. No it actually seems you're quite clueless when it comes to drafting, you just think you know what you're talking about putting up historical results, acting like Einstein. Quote my post when i said it's guaranteed Nylander will go top6. Or when i said we should draft him with the 6th overall.

His 5ft 11 and 162 were taken last september when he was 17. I have seen reports where he is now 5ft 11.5 and 170 now. There is no doubt he will end up 6ft and if he is lucky 6ft 1 . He will play at 185 to 190 when he is fully matured.

We really need to see at the combine, but I would bet Ehlers is around 6'0 170. He's the guy I'm most interested to hear the combine results of.

Kapanen is described everywhere as small. But whatever you want to believe, he's nowhere near 6th. So irrelevant.

Funny you ask why Virtanen being from Abbotford should matter while at the same time bringing up David Booth, as if David Booth were relevant in this discussion.

However, the context of the Abbotsford discussion was about why CDC got a huge boner about WHL player Shinkaruk who fell in the draft, but is not allowed to be excited about Virtanen as a prospect, a local kid who has a comparable skill-set with more physical attributes.

David Booth is a good comparable for Virtanen, how is that irrelevant?

And your going to have to show your source to back up the bolded, from what I've seen he's been reported as a hardworking guy who has drive, who battles & has a high compete level, Then you look at his profile & he's listed at 6'0 181.

Pushing the small player narrative on him just seems very misinformed to me.

Ehlers is definitely undersized and Kapanen will never be considered large. Both play a softish perimeter game. I have more hope for Kapanen down the road as his dad was okay defensively, but Ehlers? Doubtful he's anything but one-dimensional QMJHL flash.

Lots of skilled prospects do not succeed in the NHL. Most of those guys are, you guessed it, undersized. The other major factor is lack of speed.

If we took Virtanen at #6 i'd be fine with it. I believe your assessment to be wrong.

I don't consider 5'11 as undersized. To me undersized is like > 5'10. And I've seen sites that have Ehlers at 6'0, we will have to wait for the combine to know for sure.

The thing about Ehlers is, he does have a willingness to play a two-way game, and he uses his speed very effectively without the puck, calling him a one-dimensional flash when he has the competitiveness & willingness to be a two-way player & go to the dirty areas again seems misinformed to me.

And none of the guys I've brought up (Nylander/Ehlers/Kapanen) lack speed, they are all faster/better skaters than Virtanen IMO.

If we take Virtanen at 6, I'll be very unhappy.

I do not know who I would most honestly, I have only watched Ehlers play full games, so i cant say.

In 5 minutes I hope your luck is repeated ERMAHGERD!

And that is where I am at. I think he very well (as that damned d bag snypers said) be the best pure offensive player out of this draft.

Loads of bios, youtube etc. The kid basically picked his team up on his back and took on the league successfully during the WJC and didn't stop.

I'd take him if any of the other 3 are gone quickly.

The only other guys I would take would be Ritchie, just because grabbing his line mate Cornel (sp?) would be a simple thing for us.

Virtanen, because for ALL of his knocks, the kid JUST turned 17 and is barely draft eligible. We could literally plot his development over the next 3 years and watch it trend upwards and we really need RW's

Ehlers

Nylander

Kapanen

Where did you read Nylander is slow? Every bio I've seen said good speed and handles the puck well at high speeds.

The way I look at it is pretty much the general feeling from pro scouts is Nylander is the better player. He seems to get ranked higher everywhere. Not only that, the way the describe him makes him sound like he's quite the special player. "As a scout you want to pay for the ticket just to see him play"

Some people seem to really like Ritchie at 6th. However, isn't it concerning that he could not get above ppg until his 3rd season in the OHL?

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM

2013-14 Regular Season Peterborough Petes 61 39 35 74 4 136

2012-13 Regular Season Peterborough Petes 41 18 17 35 -10 50

2011-12 Regular Season Peterborough Petes 63 16 23 39 -22 60

He does look a bit chubby and his potential to cut down weight and get faster is quite enticing. Could definitely be a steal but I get a weird feeling at drafting him 6th overall.

Archived