The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks want ‘a player to help Kesler,’ says Gillis

Vancouver Canucks 30

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/canucks-want-a-player-to-help-kesler-says-gillis/

Just over a week away from the NHL trade deadline, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis knows what he needs to help his struggling team.

Problem is, getting that help will cost him.

“We’d like to get a player to help [Ryan] Kesler, but you have to give up a lot,” Gillis told Team 1040 radio, per The Province. “If it’s not a rental player or a younger player, you look at your options. We might make hard decisions or none.”

Kesler has played some wing this season, but is best suited as the club’s No. 2 center behind Henrik Sedin. Problem is, finding capable linemates for Kesler has been difficult, and Vancouver’s need for a top-six winger has been increased this season due to down years from Alex Burrows (zero goals in 28 games) and David Booth (five in 44). Zack Kassian has yet to emerge as the consistent presence required of a top-six guy and, outside of a solid campaign from Chris Higgins (16 goals), not many Canucks have stepped up to fill the void.

It seems unlikely the Canucks will go the rental route to find a solution. The team’s had little success with that over the last two years — Sammy Pahlsson and Derek Roy made minimal impacts (granted, both were centers) — and this hardly looks like a team ready to make a playoff run. As such, it’s possible Gillis could look to the farm for help at forward. Former first-round pick Nicklas Jensen has been playing well for AHL Utica lately, and could be on his way up to the big team.

“The most noticeable thing is his pace has picked up,” Gillis said of Jensen. “We’d like to leave him there (Utica) but our needs are important.”

I'm a Gillis supporter and saying this honestly but, Geez Mike, it only took you 3 years to figure that out...

Edit: and if they so do finally get Kes that winger, better be legit and not some twiner borderline 2nd liner. Better be a proven one and one relatively young/near prime/not in mid 30's and worth it long term and not just a rental.

...tired of him patching up the ship temporarily and it wears off eventually..fix it permanently for once.

what i read into it, is that finding the right players to play with kesler has been difficult...to get a guy like callahan, a rental,

you'ld have to give up horvat and a first.....no thank you....gillis knows his business and will only make moves that

improve this team, when the right players at the right price comes along.....i trust his decisions and his management team.

period......

keslers wing is where good players go to die. but that happens when your center never passes the puck and kills every drive with a wrist shot at the goalies chest.

Those "wrist shots at the goalies chest" have Kesler on pace for the second most goals in a season for him.

and he's just realizing this now? we're in more trouble then i thought.

No, this is being written in an article now. How you derive from it that this is a new concept to Gillis makes me think you're the one in trouble.

We have all been aware for a very long time that Kesler needs better linemates. This isn't news to anyone, least of all Gillis. But please, don't let that stop you from getting carried away with the "Fire Gillis" bandwagon.

i feel like this may be gillis setting up him trading Kesler. we'd have to give up too much to get someone to help Kesler, and even if we do that then it still might not be enough and we still might miss the playoffs. since it's not an option to trade for kesler help, it would be more prudent to trade kesler to someone who has a player that could help him, and we get a boatload of prospects/assets in return.

and he's just realizing this now?

That's not how I took it at all. I'm sure Gillis has known for quite some time that he needs a winger to help Kesler, and has tried more then a few. I'm sure for the first half of the season, he was giving his current players the opportunity to get their crap together and get some chemistry with Kesler. If it doesn't happen, then this would be his next logical stop; letting his current players know (and fans)through the media that their time is up as Kes' wingers and not to expect status quo. Players need some confidence for a period of time from ownership (and coaches). And I'm sure Gillis would have been pursuing a winger much more aggresively before last summer, had been able to buyout Booth.

Archived