The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

That's wishful thinking. I could see Beau moving, but not Maatta.

well Beau is a struggling late 1st round pick so he would not be a center piece of a deal, kesler is not exactly chop liver so you are going to have to do better than a late 1st round pick that has struggled so far, and keep in mind he has struggled all the while having playing time with crosby and Malkin in the leagues weakest division

As I said in a previous post Edler to Detroit for Nyquist and a 1st(2014), or Edler for Voracek straight up, and possibly Edler for O'Reily straight up would be my choices. I wonder what is being offered for him.

I think this is in the ball park of what I would ask for and what is realistic. for ROR would may have add a little like Hansen (who I personally dislike due to all those key scoring chances that he has blown over the years), I would even go and add a B level prospect like Rodin, sauce, sweat, kennins, schroeder etc...ROR probably will not be traded here but one can dream

if I am Gillis, I am fine overpaying for ROR, he is the 'heavy 'type of young player we need

Edler

Hansen

schroeder

for

ROR

3rd

something in this neighbourhood

I would not give up our fist this year, I rather give up one of our many enigmatic prospects

Or the majority of CDC is over-valuing our players.

And this post pretty sums it up:

To add to that, Richards was a 70-80 point player and a two time 30 goals scorer, when he was traded.

Still no 40 goal year with a selke. That's hard to come by within this league. Especially in the past 5 years. Watching Kesler play, including for an Olympic USA team, it's not hard to tell his high value. He's not the player to move from this team to improve us short, nor long term. It's our depth in defence that can improve this much needed scoring and addition to our top six, and finally create a second line.

I understand the value you put on Richards at the time, and the market situation at that time, but that was also an interesting situation there in Philly with an over hall of trades. I see the comparison but I find the players different than one another, as you can see a decline in Richards production since coming to the western conference, which has an impact. Many GM's take that into an account as well.

No 40 goals or a Selke, but had cracked 80 points, won a gold medal, had worn the C in Philly, and although his numbers had dipped the season prior to him being traded he was still considered in the prime of his career. Kesler is a comparable

Is comparable in some ways, but still different players, and dropped in production within the west. Kesler could have easily worn the C on another team as well, although thats an assumption. Trading your captain says enough for him being a captain to be a mute point. Especially when many feel the trade was made for character reasons.

It's been a while since I've posted here, but warhippy's post is worth replying to.

This about sums it up folks. This core can not simply get it done at a high level anymore. If you think that a few minor moves and a top six winger to compliment Kesler is enough to make us contenders again, your wrong. Alex Edler, for some reason, cannot elevate his game to the next level and his inconsistent play warrants a trade. Maybe he can find his true potential elsewhere but he sure as hell isn't going to do it in a Canuck sweater. He isn't young anymore and he should have become the defenceman we expected him to be 3 years ago. He has good value right now, and will fetch us the greatest return as far as Canuck defenceman go.

People in Vancouver become way too attached to their players, especially the core. If significant moves aren't made soon this team will fall even further into medeocrity and the inevitable will happen. Every trade option should be considered at this point even if it means trading the beloved 'heart and soul' Ryan Kesler. He will fetch us by far the greatest value of one single player on te roster.

As stated before, you gotta give up something to get something.

Im a huge Kesler and Edler fan. Saying that, Id trade them both. If they were willing to wave and if the deals were tipped in our favor. Id trade Edler and a 2nd for Nyquist and Mantha. Edler is worth more then some of these meat heads think hes worth.

Im a huge Kesler and Edler fan. Saying that, Id trade them both. If they were willing to wave and if the deals were tipped in our favor. Id trade Edler and a 2nd for Nyquist and Mantha. Edler is worth more then some of these meat heads think hes worth.

You have to consider something with Detroit. Dats and Zetterberg are aging and with the recent injuries are aging pretty rapidly it seems. Detroit has to look to the future with who in their system can potentially replace their cornerstone players. Albeit a tall order, Nyquist is one guy I'm pretty sure the Wings are looking to fill one of those voids. Are they going to trade a player whom they potentially see as a major part of their future? Mantha was drafted one year ago. Detroit doesn't know what they truly have in him yet until he plays some pro hockey. Knowing how slowly Detroit develops an grooms their prospects, I cannot see them trading either of these players until they know what they truly have. Not for Alex Edler.

If the Wings make a move on Edler which is a real possibility don't be disappointed if neither Nyquist or Mantha is coming back. I see Jurco, Tatar, and Dekeyser moving before these two.

Yup. Teams' GM's usually want your good players who aren't well on the slide.

GM's usally keep those guys around too though.

The problem with trading Edler is he's just 27 and he won't be replaced unless Stanton, a so-so prospect, proves to be more reliable/durable. Meanwhile, Hamhuis is a UFA after 2 seasons and our legit defensive prospects, Tanev and Corrado, are righties. (Not sure if we're officially starting to miss K-Con at this point, but it's close. He hasn't done enough in Dallas yet.)

If the Olympics proved anything, it's that Edler is a good player and we should probably keep him. Unless some team hands us a better player in return. Doubtful.

Meanwhile, Kesler's injured again, so that will take him off the trade market for this deadline. A team like ours should never in a million years consider trading him, but i've seen stupider crap be done.

If Edler and Kesler are dealt, then it's confirmed that the players have lost confidence in the franchise. So much for our rise to prominence.

Which is precisely why he should be traded for a good return. Regardless of how good he can be he is not reliable. You can't build a team around a guy that is barely in the lineup, he's had a good run here for the most part over 1/2 of this season.. and thats it for the last 3 seasons. He's getting older the injuries are going to come more frequently not less. If other teams are willing to give a good return for kesler it should be done

You have to consider something with Detroit. Dats and Zetterberg are aging and with the recent injuries are aging pretty rapidly it seems. Detroit has to look to the future with who in their system can potentially replace their cornerstone players. Albeit a tall order, Nyquist is one guy I'm pretty sure the Wings are looking to fill one of those voids. Are they going to trade a player whom they potentially see as a major part of their future? Mantha was drafted one year ago. Detroit doesn't know what they truly have in him yet until he plays some pro hockey. Knowing how slowly Detroit develops an grooms their prospects, I cannot see them trading either of these players until they know what they truly have. Not for Alex Edler.

If the Wings make a move on Edler which is a real possibility don't be disappointed if neither Nyquist or Mantha is coming back. I see Jurco, Tatar, and Dekeyser moving before these two.

Then why bother ? You might be right, but if you are you might as well keep Edler then.

If VAN does move Kesler here are 3 trade packages i would like to see GMMG to get for Kesler:

From PIT

Sutter

Harrington

Bennett

From PHI

Courtier

Read

Morin/Hagg

From NASH

Wilson

Smith

Sessions

Those packages dont really interest me all that much. If we trade Kesler there has to be a Grade A prospect involved. I like Wilson as a player but not good enough.

take our tradeable assets (apparently everyone except the sedins) and move them to get the following

1. A future top D man

2.A future 1C

3.A future scoring winger hopefully with size

Kesler, Corrado, schroeder, sauve to Buffalo for their #1 pick and the Islanders # 1 pick this year or next year

-draft Ekblad

-draft scoring winger with islanders pick or our pick

Edler, and Luongo to florida for Campbell and their #1 pick

-draft reinhart with the florida pick

I agree with this.

Go big or go home.

With Martin out for 4-6 weeks and Niskanen being a UFA at the end of the season, would Pittsburgh consider trading for Edler? I would love to see James Neal in a Canuck Jersey. He is a big body with a great, quick-release shot and knows where to go to score goals. At the moment he is scoring at an incredible pace but Pittsburgh is so good offensively that I think they can afford to lose him. I would go Edler, Schroeder, and a pick for Neal.

He may not be our "saviour" for this year but next year we'd have a pretty good top 9:

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

Horvat - Kesler - Neal

Burrows - Gaunce - Hansen

Here's a smart idea MG, instead of trading Kesler, trade that plug Edler for a top 6 player for Kesler.

If other teams legit think Edler is a #2 D man, trade him before they actually watch him play.

If you trade Kesler MG, I'm done....

You fans really don't know how to move forward and move on. Kesler has been here a while and has shown what he is. He is streaky, and really only had 1 good playoff series where he dominated, and 1 where he shutdown Toews. Otherwise he is not a good play making center that can make guys around him better. Kesler is best suited as a 3rd line shutdown defensive center or a 2nd line winger. Unless we get a legit 2nd line center that can be a play maker and can feed Kesler, trading him is a good idea.

This is how Canucks can move forward, they have to make tough decisions regarding the core group. Kesler is the only guy that will get us significant pieces.

Kesler and Hansen for Maatta, Bennett, Sutter, and a 1st (2014). Then trade Edler and Schroeder for Strome and a 1st(2015).

Next years line up:

Daniel Henrick Burrows

Higgins Strome Kassian

Horvat Sutter Santorelli

Sestito Richardson Archibald

Hammer Bieksa

Maatta Tanev

Garrison Stanton

Well Balanced. Plus we get two first rounders this year and next year with a better chance of drafting McDavid . This proposal is if we went in rebuild mode obviously. This way we are stacked at the center position for years, and we have a soild future top pairing of Maatta(PMD,PPQB) and Tanev. I feel confident with that lineup, plus our picks, and prospects going into the future.

Archived