The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

I am so glad that CDC posters are not the ones measuring talent for this team. If Edler sucks, why do other GMs want hum on their team? Why was he on Swedens Olympic team? To the OP, if you owned the team and someone was giving you something you didn't want for your selke award winning Olympian, why would you take it?

Kesler is awesome. Edler is solid. Be a fan of the jersey they wear or STFU.

RobRossi_Trib 3:14pm via Web

Told #pens felt they had substantial offer to #Canucks. Feel ownership nixed plans for trade that would have sent Kesler to Pitt.

This guy is f.o.s. though. Trying to sell Sutter as if his advanced stats indicate shutting down opposition top lines night in and night out is pretty audacious.

In the real world Sutter is facing some of the weakest quality of competition on the Penguins. Not exactly indicative of a "shutdown" center's underlying numbers.

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

His relative corsi isn't exactly impressive either, nor really is his production. He may have more potential upside than has shown in Pittsburgh, but his actual performance has been misrepresented. He was a reasonable third piece in a Kesler deal - that's about it.

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

All things considered, I'd rather have Matthias - who has a similar performance profile on a much worse team, is a better cap hit, brings 37 extra lbs to the rink, has Sutter's versatility and reasonable measure of upside, but unlike Sutter, was the secondary piece in a Luongo deal, not the unrealistic centerpiece offering in a Kesler deal. If in fact the Pens didn't offer one of their premier blueline prospects, it was little more than a waste of time. Offering Sutter, a B prospect and a pick is little more than posturing.

Gary Mason@garymasonglobe 15m

Pitt offered Van B Sutter, 1st-rd this year; 2nd next for Kesler. Gillis wisely said no, needed prospects on top of. Pitt balked. So no deal

That's a seriously ugly offer.

Edit:

Gilman on team 1040 today: Link

I've never heard him so 'perturbed' before, almost hostile. Specifically mentions 'reports out of Pittsburg' about Aquilini nixing trades being untrue. I'm guessing they are pi##ed about them leaking a whole swack of garbage last couple days. Shero trying to dictate the market might have backfired on him.

Wow 81 pages in 10 days must be a record

Not even close to what happened on these boards in the 8 official Luongo threads, and endless other side threads. The reason there were 8 - they got so long - 100+ pages that they'd take forever to load.

Yeah, I heard his Team 1040 interview but I understood both picks were 2015 and no prospects. That's bad enough, but then switching the 1st rounder to a 2014 1st? What a lowball offer!

If true, it's a kick in the nards. They clearly didn't want him bad enough.

Provies from Botch, def worth a read: Link

BEST NUGGET

The Pens never put Derrick Pouliot on the table.

BEST QUESTION

The best deal the Canucks generated Wednesday for Kesler was a package centred around a third line centre, Brandon Sutter and two picks.

Despite all the hype, the Penguins offer never really got better. Shero was trying to pick the Canucks pockets clean in a big big way.

I find this frightening for a couple of reasons.

One, the Canucks had months to work on a Kesler deal, and when it came to get it done on Wednesday couldn’t do better than this ridiculous Sutter package which didn’t even include a prospect.

Two, Kesler spent his Olympics playing for Dan Bylsma. Did Kesler and Bylsma talk about any of this?

Will Kesler try to do what St. Louis and Luongo did before him and force a trade to the city he really wants to play in?

If so, the Canucks will be cornered on draft day. Don’t see how they can risk bringing a player who doesn’t want to be in Vancouver to next fall’s training camp.

I know it wasn’t the greatest sellers market today but teams should have been going off trampolines for a shot at Kesler.

He’s one of the best defensive centres in hockey who can score 30 a year, with a gem of a contract.

And the best offer that comes the Canucks way is Sutter and two picks?

Something seems off.

^^ Something I've pondered as well. This whole Pitts/Kes scenario has red flags raised all over the place.

I guess we stay the course an work our player development thru the draft an farm ,an bide our time till the young guys are ready for our next run. It is sad the way Lu was cut loose though even if it freed cap space up for potential June reaping. We will continue to get bigger gritier, faster an more talented with the wild west as it is

Has nothing to do with greed. It's asset management. Unless someone overpays for Kesler the organization is better off keeping as he has more value to us as a player than a lesser return that would be nothing but somewhat appeasing CDC's ridiculous blood-lust for a trade. And even then you'd all want to hang him for "not getting enough value".

He literally couldn't win with this fan base if he traded Kesler for hockey-Jesus.

True. Cutting a deal for the sake of cutting a deal is the fast-track to mediocrity. The Canucks are much better with Kesler in hand than having undersold him for second rate assets. If Maata or Pouliot weren't the primary piece they wasted their fans time on a pipe dream.

In the end, I personally am far happier with the result of this trade deadline than I expected to be. I would take that Luongo deal over a Kesler deal any and every time - literally a no brainer. I did not expect Gillis to pull that off. Kesler can be moved for a trio of B assets any day of the week. In the summer with the cap rising - the flexiblity to make moves is much greater. I have absolutely no problem with the Canucks not making a move. I'm also not the type of person to give up on making the playoffs - until they've actually missed the playoffs - and their chances are unquestionably better with Kesler, and perhaps a measure better again having added another big young center to the lineup.

Any team that wanted Kesler in this context had to either offer a player like Dubinsky who fills a large part of that hole right now, something Sutter could not do - or make up for that loss with a can't resist package centered on marquis prospect value - like Maata/Pouliot - otherwise they simply weren't serious.

Pittsburgh thought so highly of Sutter that when they realized they weren't moving him, they went out and got an upgrade at 3C in Marcel Goc. That about defines how highly they value the 'centerpiece' they offered right there.

Make no mistake - Goc is an upgrade on Sutter - a big one.

And that's fine. The Pens just did what they did last deadline - they rented.

The almost comical part is that they bothered to rent Stempniak to go with Goc, and once again, have one of the most front loaded teams in the NHL. They're left again left with a blueline that is going to strike fear into absolutely no one - and a goaltender who, well, hasn't hit .900 in sv% in the playoffs since 2008/9 - and lost his playoff job to the now injured Thomas Vokoun. Letang might not see a minute of ice time, Martin's health is questionable...

Is a team like the Penguins built for playoff hockey? I don't think so. Should Shero have gone all in on Kesler? Maybe not. I personally don't think his team is ready.

Pittsburgh should be investigated for tampering.

agree, and tweeting out that the aquilini's quashed a deal. The NHL has to step in and institute some rules in this time of mass media. It should not be allowed to tweet out blatent lies, you should have to give the name of your source becuase right now, everyone is making up everything. Dreger and McKenzie tweet what ever crap they want to and it is highly unprofessional and unregulated.

Pittsburgh thought so highly of Sutter that when they realized they weren't moving him, they went out and got an upgrade at 3C in Marcel Goc. That about defines how highly they value the 'centerpiece' they offered right there.

Make no mistake - Goc is an upgrade on Sutter - a big one.

And that's fine. The Pens just did what they did last deadline - they rented.

The almost comical part is that they bothered to rent Stempniak to go with Goc, and once again, have one of the most front loaded teams in the NHL. They're left again left with a blueline that is going to strike fear into absolutely no one - and a goaltender who, well, hasn't hit .900 in sv% in the playoffs since 2008/9 - and lost his playoff job to the now injured Thomas Vokoun. Letang might not see a minute of ice time, Martin's health is questionable...

Is a team like the Penguins built for playoff hockey? I don't think so. Should Shero have gone all in on Kesler? Maybe not. I personally don't think his team is ready.

the thing is they did not necessarily have to give up much of their roster - Pouliot, 1st, Bennett prob would have done it and Kesler provides more than those two young players combined

Archived