The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinions on Mike Gillis

Bren Mo

The Canucks won back to back Presidents Trophies followed by a division title. They then got smacked with a salary cap reduction.

Gillis managed to keep that core together while making several small moves that were phenomenal in hindsight.

At the time I was frustrated when he moved Corey Schneider, despite us having Luongo, a good young back-up and Lack, plus adding a blue chip prospect. I was hoping he would get at least a fringe 2nd line player or solid bottom pairing defenseman in addition to that pick.

Mike Santorelli and Ryan Stanton. Incredible pick-ups! More or less discarded players that provided insane value for their contracts.

Richardson was also a strong free agent signing. Re-upping Sestito for two years was a smart move as well (at the time it was terrible).

Again Mike Gillis added a good free prospect in Kellan Lain.

Considering he had very little to work with Gillis made excellent, shrewd moves in the offseason both brining in guys who contributed for cheap while also building for the future.

I put the blame of this season mostly on the players, perhaps on the coaching, but not on MG.

I agree, but since santo is gone and top line is struggling it's like the offense is on life support...

The Canucks won back to back Presidents Trophies followed by a division title. They then got smacked with a salary cap reduction.

Gillis managed to keep that core together while making several small moves that were phenomenal in hindsight.

At the time I was frustrated when he moved Corey Schneider, despite us having Luongo, a good young back-up and Lack, plus adding a blue chip prospect. I was hoping he would get at least a fringe 2nd line player or solid bottom pairing defenseman in addition to that pick.

Mike Santorelli and Ryan Stanton. Incredible pick-ups! More or less discarded players that provided insane value for their contracts.

Richardson was also a strong free agent signing. Re-upping Sestito for two years was a smart move as well (at the time it was terrible).

Considering he had very little to work with Gillis made excellent, shrewd moves in the offseason both brining in guys who contributed for cheap while also building for the future.

I put the blame of this season mostly on the players, perhaps on the coaching, but not on MG.

I agree, but since santo is gone and top line is struggling it's like the offense is on life support...

Gillis is the one on top and deserves the blame for this season. It's his stupid moves over te past few years which have resulted in the Canucks becoming what they are, a team that can't score and will prolly miss the playoffs . It's up to him to fix his mess and he has a huge opportunity to do so before the deadline and the draft by trading away Kesler and edler

I thought Gillis said at the start of the season "Luongo is their guy." Now he won't play in the outdoor game? Wtf, can't stand that fatso.

Canucks have become such a joke under Gillis. Don't the Aquillinis and Gillis have another business together or something too? If so he's never going to get fired....

Ever since the Hodgson trade this organization has gone downhill, and I'm a Kassian fan.

Mike Gillis is a lying sack of crap. According to Brad May and various other sources, Gillis approached Kesler to waive his NTC.

Gillis is over his head and has zero concept on how to build a team.

He's a boil on the buttocks of the team that needs to be lanced as soon as possible.

I thought Gillis said at the start of the season "Luongo is their guy." Now he won't play in the outdoor game? Wtf, can't stand that fatso.

Canucks have become such a joke under Gillis. Don't the Aquillinis and Gillis have another business together or something too? If so he's never going to get fired....

Ever since the Hodgson trade this organization has gone downhill, and I'm a Kassian fan.

Yep and we just have to look at his trades and our needs

1. Our needs are to get younger, faster more talented

2. We traded away youth with talent, and more importantly, players proving they could do in in the NHL and got nothing at the same level of development to replace them in return.

3. Hodgson, Schnieder, Grabner are all players of the mold we are attempting to find.

4. This mess, is therefore all of MG's doing plain and simple. Trading away NHL assets for potential non nhl assets when you need what you are trading is stupidity, it shows a lack of understanding of what your roster has, needs and what you will need in the future to be competitive.

5. He is a fool and a failure and I am not saying some of those players may be good in the future (those we got in return). The point is he created a hole, then made it worse, its his job not to do that.

Yep and we just have to look at his trades and our needs

1. Our needs are to get younger, faster more talented

2. We traded away youth with talent, and more importantly, players proving they could do in in the NHL and got nothing at the same level of development to replace them in return.

3. Hodgson, Schnieder, Grabner are all players of the mold we are attempting to find.

4. This mess, is therefore all of MG's doing plain and simple. Trading away NHL assets for potential non nhl assets when you need what you are trading is stupidity, it shows a lack of understanding of what your roster has, needs and what you will need in the future to be competitive.

5. He is a fool and a failure and I am not saying some of those players may be good in the future (those we got in return). The point is he created a hole, then made it worse, its his job not to do that.

Well said

It's sad when people say everything has already been said about Gillis and thus these posts are redundant. Absolutely not. As events unfold the story of Gillis changes. Currently the Canucks have two new scandals. The Kesler wants a trade scandal and the LU is being sat issue. How any thinking Canucks fan can dismiss these items is beyond me. Gillis made a mess of last year with the goalie fiasco. There was no reason to sit LU and start this all over again this year. And if you paid 300 for a ticket tomorrow don' t you deserve an explanation? Of course you do. This incompetent GM is classless and arrogant and if the owners had confidence in their own abilities they would fire him.

GILLIS DOESN'T SAY WHO PLAYS TORTS DOES

If the Canucks season hinged on injuries to a journeyman 3rd-4th line forward and a waiver wire pick up depth d-man then this team was doomed from game 1 this season. Just sayin'...

Well Canucks lost a lot of games by one goal. If Santorelli or Stanton, who were able to contribute offensively, just scored a goal/assist or two in a fraction of those games the team probably could have had 5 or 6 more points which puts the team in playoff position.. Not saying the team would be cup contenders but it helps when you have that kind of support. Plus Santorelli would probably be in the 2nd line right now.

and 2 idiots + this.....

I am fast becoming thoroughly disgusted by Gillis. There's a "what have you done for me lately" rule in performance fields such as sports and entertainment.

As pieces of the team become more stale and the team loses grounds on its competition, and fast, Gillis steps closer to the exit door.

Let's see this trade deadline.

Just one trade Gillis; one trade to improve the team and most of all, to show everyone you CAN make what Burke calls a "hockey trade".

Look . Not starting Luongo is a PR nightmare for the Canucks. Lack is playing well but he aint that much better than lui is.

The canucks obviously dont care too much what Luongo thinks of them ...............or , there is a deal in the works and they probably have told Luongo about it by now.

Archived