The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If You Could

JeremyCuddles

Since we are all certified arm chair GM's and Gillis is not fit to lead. I figured we could go back and look at his decisions and figure out which we would veto, or pull the trigger on. Have to be legitimate rumors. No Weise for Crosby trades.

You could over write any one decision Gillis has made. Maybe not trading for Ballard, or not hiring Torts/not firing AV. Or you could do something that was rumored he didn't do. Kes to Pittsburgh, Not resign so and so. No re-drafts cause those are easy and we'd all do some picks over others in hindsight.

Edit: Some trades were done for specific reasons outside improving. Example is the Grabner trade was done to keep Raymond apparently. So if you veto a trade you could do an alternative trade that you think would've been more benficial.

I'd add the caveat that if you want to override a specific thing, you have to suggest the alternative. For instance, if you don't do the Ballard trade, do you trade Grabner somewhere else or lose him on waivers for nothing?

Trade Luongo for Matthias before we traded Schneider

That's even less of a return than what he got this year, and it was harder to trade him previously with the lower cap. That said even Tallon confirmed Florida couldn't make the trade previously because they didn't have the financial backing to do so until they got new ownership this year.

Do the rumoured Luongo for Bjugstad deal, but add on to Luongo to sweeten it for Florida. That way we'd still have Schneider (although I wasn't against picking up Horvat), as well as a potential Getzlaf-type first line center.

Trade Ballard for a 7th round pick, offer Ehrhoff a fair contract instead of the lowball "Bieksa caphit".

Not trade Hodgson for Kassian.

Re-sign Torres.

Trade Edler. Guy is just a freeloader and depends on a good partner to look good. ie. Salo or Ehrhoff.

Trade Bieksa (been calling this for a long time). Similarly to Edler, only plays well when he is riding shotgun with a good defensive partner. Useless when he is the anchor. Laughable to think we can win a championship with him as our top pairing. This is why the Edler-Bieksa pairing has always been dynamite waiting to explode.

Not force Malholtra into retirement. It'll take years for the reputation of the Canucks organization to recover from that.

Trade Ballard for a 7th round pick, offer Ehrhoff a fair contract instead of the lowball "Bieksa caphit".

Not trade Hodgson for Kassian.

Re-sign Torres.

Trade Edler. Guy is just a freeloader and depends on a good partner to look good. ie. Salo or Ehrhoff.

Trade Bieksa (been calling this for a long time). Similarly to Edler, only plays well when he is riding shotgun with a good defensive partner. Useless when he is the anchor. Laughable to think we can win a championship with him as our top pairing. This is why the Edler-Bieksa pairing has always been dynamite waiting to explode.

Not force Malholtra into retirement. It'll take years for the reputation of the Canucks organization to recover from that.

You only get one cheater. Lol.

I think I would've moved Luo first chance I got. Love him but that saga went on way too long and mentally destroyed our team.

I just really hated the Ballard deal and the Kassian deal.

For the Ballard one I disliked the fact that we let Mitchell go cause he had a concussion than gave so much to bring a smaller, concussion history, no defense player.

The kassian deal made no sense to me cause when Hodgson was with us we basically had 3 lines of constant offence (recall american express line before booth injury). If he had to do it he should picked another time cause I hated the fact kassian wasn`t ready for the playoffs when booth and daniel got injured. In the end none of our lines clicked which kind of sucked. The traded essentially blow our playoff chances since the american line shutdown and henriks line slowed down.

Otherwise I understand the logic behind all the other trades and support gillis at the time of each other trade considering the circumstances.

1. Wouldn't have made that ridiculously, long contract with Luongo

2. Wouldn't have signed Edler an NTC

3. Wouldn't have signed most of our players with NTCs

4. Would have tried to get more out of the Hodgeson-Kassian deal

5. Would have traded Schneider to Edmonton who was willing to give more than just a 1st round

6. Wouldn't have gotten Booth, I personally never saw much in him

7. Would have kept Ehrhoff

Had to list 7 I couldn't decide which one I would have done, Gillis made too many mistakes IMO

Matched LA's offer for Mitchell and made him Captain.

Given Luongo a 5 year $6 million deal with a LIMITED NO TRADE.

Traded Grabner, Schroeder, and our first in 2010 to Columbus and drafted Ryan Johansen.

Waited until the offseason to trade Hodgson, perhaps later as you'll see

Traded last year at the deadline Luongo for Mattias and Markstrom.

Traded Edler and Hodgson to New Jersey in 2013 for a 1st rounder, a 2015 First rounder and 2014 2nd rounder.

Still draft Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk .

Not traded for Booth, no trade for Ballard.

Re-Hire Marc Crawford and give him one final kick at the cat instead of Torts.

Line Up:

H. Sedin D.Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Shinkaruk

Horvat Johansen Hansen

Archibald Lain Volpatti

Jensen

Defense:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Mitchell Corrado

Stanton

Goal:

Schneider

Lack

Markstrom

But since hindsight is 20/20 what can you do?

Didn't Tallon say that they couldn't acquire Luongo until the new ownership came in and said they were committed to spending money so the team could win?

Yup. That's kind of the issue with this idea for a thread. People will ignore whether or not something was actually possible and, as it already has, turn into the theme du jour of Gillis sucks.

For the Ballard one I disliked the fact that we let Mitchell go cause he had a concussion than gave so much to bring a smaller, concussion history, no defense player.

Since when did Ballard have concussions prior to coming to us, or are you actually thinking of Booth?

Malhotra before gillis shut him down was a defensve libility I agree with gillis on that one

Kassian is becoming a better player slowly And hodgson was a cry baby good riddance

Luongo wanted out 2 yrs ago mattias is decent

Edler is a defensive liability id cut his ice time and trade him in summer hes a bum second worst plus minus behind yakupov says alot

Kesler wants to win. Get as many assets for him as u can.... a 1st and couturier pretty please

Couturier horvat mattias gaunce lain is decent center depth all between ages 19-24

The whole goalie fiasco. Gillis let it get out of control.

2 world class goalies gone for .... basically....the hope that Horvat turns out to be an impact player in the NHL.

Could you imagine the Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Boston GMs making the same boneheaded moves if they were in the same situation?

I doubt Kevin Lowe would have created such a mess...

Better still...convince Labatt's and the NHL to have bought the Oakland Seals and moved them to Vancouver in 1968.

1968 Draft: Curt Bennett

1969 Draft: Andre Dupont, 4th Round Butch Goring

1970 Draft: Mike Murphy, Yvan Lambert,

1971 Draft: Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson, Bill Hajt

Could have won the Stanley cup in 1975 maybe even a mini-dynasty. Vancouver Seals?

1967-68SealsTeamPhoto.jpg

Better still...convince Labatt's and the NHL to have bought the Oakland Seals and moved them to Vancouver in 1968.

1968 Draft: Curt Bennett

1969 Draft: Andre Dupont, 4th Round Butch Goring

1970 Draft: Mike Murphy, Yvan Lambert,

1971 Draft: Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson, Bill Hajt

Could have won the Stanley cup in 1975 maybe even a mini-dynasty. Vancouver Seals?

1967-68SealsTeamPhoto.jpg

Lol, that's an out of the box idea. I like it.

If I could, I would have done at least one out of many things differently:

1) Re-sign Mitchell (who proved to still be effective)

2) Not pull the Grabner + 1st rounder for Ballard

3) (I'm going to get flak for this) Trade Schneider to Colorado for their first-rounder in 2011 and draft Adam Larsson

There are several more things I could do, but suffice to say, had #2 been reversed alone - Vancouver would have won the Cup, because Ballard was woefully ineffective the whole time. Grabner was actually not only offensively sound, but really underrated on the physical, two-way going, and could have kindled the needed extra offense with the Sedins silenced. Reversing #1 would further help, because you eliminate the black hole left by Ballard's no-show against Boston, and Hamhuis' injury. (It'd be another story if Mitchell also got injured, but he still would have provided insulation).

Who knows whom they could have drafted at 25th - lets say Quinton Howden, that guy actually has a future, more upside than Mathias.

Why Schneider over Luongo? Simply put, Schneider was the more tradable one, given his contract. Also, Colorado already had the pieces of the puzzle in place - they would be better off acquiring Schneider in a trade than trying to find an NHL-ready goalie at the draft. Larsson could keep things going strong in Vancouver.

That's my thought, or the tip of the iceberg of it.

Archived