The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella on 1040 Bro Show

Neversummer

It's funny. When asked about being here next year, he says that they need to ask the guy that makes that decision....and what's interesting is who he goes on to name first.... "and if Francesco and his family, or Mike, if they deemed those decisions are wrong and they're not happy, they'll show me the door."

Maybe nothing to it, maybe something. Interesting.

It's funny. When asked about being here next year, he says that they need to ask the guy that makes that decision....and what's interesting is who he goes on to name first.... "and if Francesco and his family, or Mike, if they deemed those decisions are wrong and they're not happy, they'll show me the door."

Maybe nothing to it, maybe something. Interesting.

Did Tony G or Botch get a hold of your CDC account? :lol:

I didn't like Torts going in, but I like him now. OP doesn't apply to me.

Really, curious ... what about the interview changed your mind?

Personally, I've never understood coaches that make decisions based on purely winning the next game or getting the next 2 pts. You should focus on getting 95 pts or whatever it is you think is necessary to get into the playoffs EVEN if you lose the next 2 pts ... bigger picture. Coaching decision based on winning next 2 pts is myopic.

Did Tony G or Botch get a hold of your CDC account? :lol:

C'mon now J.R. Have a sense of humour and intrigue.

If Botch or Gallagher had a hold of my account I'd be running wild publishing assumptions that Gillis is not the de facto GM, that FA hired Torts, that FA orchestrated the Schneider deal, that he blocked a Kesler trade, etc, etc,

I simply find it interesting that when the question is asked regarding his future, he bypasses his GM, who ostensibly hired him and refers to ownership.

The decision is apparently a committee one, so as I first surmised, perhaps nothing to it.

Perhaps something. :lol:

Really, curious ... what about the interview changed your mind?Personally, I've never understood coaches that make decisions based purely winning the next game or getting the next 2 pts. You should focus on getting 95 pts or whatever it is you think is necessary to get into the playoffs EVEN if you lose the next 2 pts ... bigger picture. Coaching decision based on winning next 2 pts is myopic.

So you are saying Coaches make decisions to not win a game?

So you are saying Coaches make decisions to not win a game?

No, managing roster so that even if there may be less of a chance to win a particular game, you keep your eyes on the the prize.

Happens all the time, doesn't it? When coaches put in backup goalie to give starting goalie a break on back to back. Assuming starting goalie has better chance to win on any given night.

Really, curious ... what about the interview changed your mind?Personally, I've never understood coaches that make decisions based purely winning the next game or getting the next 2 pts. You should focus on getting 95 pts or whatever it is you think is necessary to get into the playoffs EVEN if you lose the next 2 pts ... bigger picture. Coaching decision based on winning next 2 pts is myopic.

Agreed.

Not sure he has a place next year. But only time will tell.

I do like his straightforward attitude, willingness to take a time out early, and willingness to blend lines at time to get of fence going, don't like how he thinks all goals are in the blue, that is only one type of goal....

i don't care if i'm a minority of one....i believe the aquilinni's will give both the management team and the coaching team the summer and next season to build a winning attitude back into this team and the fan base....

I agree Joe. I don't see us being as far off as some folks think we are. I just hope we can attract a free agent without over paying.

i don't care if i'm a minority of one....i believe the aquilinni's will give both the management team and the coaching team the summer and next season to build a winning attitude back into this team and the fan base....

Not a minority of one smithers joe. I think they'll both return next season - and I'm ok with that. If I could only retain one, I'd keep the GM, but I also wouldn't scapegoat Tortorella for what's transpired in the past few months. I disagree with a number of his decisions, but I've also agreed with quite a few others. I don't think either of them will be on their way out.

I find the idea of firing Tortz to be asinine.

Ask yourselves objectively if a different coach would have yielded a greater result.

Certainly there are some things to iron out as far as the use of certain personnel and losing his mind against Calgary but I think he deserves to be back.

Torts' formal interviews always leave me with the impression that he is a very genuine and caring guy.

The problem is that that doesn't necessarily make him a good coach. I get the sense that Torts doesn't give as much thought into systems and strategy as other coaches.

Nailed it. That's why its difficult to get on the fire him train but at the same time he just doesn't seem very cerebral in terms of strategy nor is he adaptable. Sort of a one trick pony who would be IMO much better suited on a team like edmonton.

Archived