The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs Choking Again

Jiggs50

If the Leafs do miss the playoffs..Carlyle will most likely get the chop..Unfortunate really,because coaching isn't the problem here..

Coaching has been a problem since Ron Wilson.

Carlyle's 'systems' are a joke, his emphasis on shot quality is laughable.

We needed a coach like Alain Vigneault who would focus on puck possession, what a shame.

We needed a coach like Alain Vigneault who would focus on puck possession, what a shame.

I often wonder if Randy Carlyle is actually conscious during the game. There is no way a sane human could watch the territorial massacre that goes on every night and think that your system emphasizing shot quality is working.

This exactly. Leafs spend so much time trying to retrieve the puck that they are gassed by the time it is on their stick.

Their team isn't that bad on paper, and they're healthy. They're in the east. They have an 'mvp candidate' in Kessel. Their coach is a winner. They're core isn't all that young. They have some decent goaltending. They're ready to do something. They were looking good just a few days ago.

What happened?

Out of these past 6 losses, 5 were against perfectly beatable teams.

Nonis screwed up, i think. Not only did he botch multiple things in the offseason, but he didn't do anything to address team weaknesses at the deadline either. Prices were cheap, so no real excuse there. Robidas went for a conditional 3rd, forcryingoutloud.

Anyway, TO is streaky. They can easily turn it around on a pin drop. There are 7 pretty beatable teams in their 8 remaining games. The Boston games should be interesting.

If the Leafs do miss the playoffs..Carlyle will most likely get the chop..Unfortunate really,because coaching isn't the problem here..

How on earth can you say coaching is not the problem? They are the most outshot team in the league, and then their coach goes and calls out their backup goaltender for having an "okay" game on a night when Reimer was the only reason they weren't thoroughly embarrassed. At least 50% of the Leafs' problems are coaching.

Carlyle's not the core of the problem, that'd be the make up of their defense imo, but he isn't helping. Kind of similar to the way Tortorella had some issues making adjustments when we weren't scoring, except that was partially helped along by some clear cut bad luck. Toronto on the other hand has been coasting along on good luck, and everyone paying attention was waiting for this crash to happen.

I don't know what will happen if they continue to spiral out and miss the playoffs. He might be the requisite sacrifice despite not being the main issue. God forbid they acknowledge Phaneuf is not the saviour.

Carlyle's not the core of the problem, that'd be the make up of their defense imo, but he isn't helping. Kind of similar to the way Tortorella had some issues making adjustments when we weren't scoring, except that was partially helped along by some clear cut bad luck. Toronto on the other hand has been coasting along on good luck, and everyone paying attention was waiting for this crash to happen.

I don't know what will happen if they continue to spiral out and miss the playoffs. He might be the requisite sacrifice despite not being the main issue. God forbid they acknowledge Phaneuf is not the saviour.

A good coach would take that team and try to make them play team defense and puck possession style hockey. Carlyle isn't doing that, therefore he's just as big a problem as their defense core. Half of their forwards never backcheck...

All the 'boys' on Hockey Central write much of it off to 'weak leadership" .. when Phaneuf and Kessel are your two key components, you are in trouble .. Phaneuf seriously lacks any leadership qualities (turtle impersonator) and Kessel is a one-trick pony(shoot and coast) .. pressure Dion and take away Kessels space and they are hooped, as are the Leafs .. I hope they barely scrape into the playoffs and then get crushed ..

People, people, people...

Can't we just get along and agree that both of our franchises have been just terrible?

Since the Canucks have been in the league we have had 3 conference championships, 2 Art Ross winners. A Hart winner, a Selke winner , 2 presidents trophies and 2 game 7s finals.

Leafs have none of the above and have never even made the finals since it stopped being a 6 team house league. The levels of fail are different.

Watching the leafs fall has helped make me feel better about Canucks struggles. I think I mostly don't like the Leafs because of the media attention they get. All CBC and TSN do is talk about them all the time and show so many of their games. Its unbearable to listen to them talk about them when their playing well. At least it's kinda funny where their playing terrible.

This is my feeling as well. They are such a huge market that I dont think its anyones fault. Its just the way it plays out.

According to Dreger, every player is rumoured to be going to the Leafs, every ref is jacking them around, every coach and almost every player sucks according to their pundits and fans.

I wonder what kind of fishbowl Pavel would have said that circus is ?

going to throw this gem from Dreger talking about which team is in Crisis mode if the Canadian teams on the outside looking in

Darren Dreger on That's Hockey decides to throw Vancouver into it as top spot claiming the Kesler situation is somehow similar to Luongo

can't say i am surprised Dreger takes any chance he gets to take shots at Vancouver to protect his precious Leafs team Vancouver is nowhere close in terms of chaos between the other Canadian teams

Leafs has a GM that has no idea what he is doing throwing 5.25 a year for 7 years for an unproven top 6 forward who has 10 points this year

Edmonton is a mess multiple top picks and they still can't get out of the basement

Ottawa goes up and down every other season it seems very inconsistent Anderson plays good one year then crap the next year they have a good group of young players but very inconsistent

probably could of made a whole thread to cover this but wasn't sure decided to throw it in here

going to throw this gem from Dreger talking about which team is in Crisis mode if the Canadian teams on the outside looking in

Darren Dreger on That's Hockey decides to throw Vancouver into it as top spot claiming the Kesler situation is somehow similar to Luongo

can't say i am surprised Dreger takes any chance he gets to take shots at Vancouver to protect his precious Leafs team Vancouver is nowhere close in terms of chaos between the other Canadian teams

Leafs has a GM that has no idea what he is doing throwing 5.25 a year for 7 years for an unproven top 6 forward who has 10 points this year

Edmonton is a mess multiple top picks and they still can't get out of the basement

Ottawa goes up and down every other season it seems very inconsistent Anderson plays good one year then crap the next year they have a good group of young players but very inconsistent

probably could of made a whole thread to cover this but wasn't sure decided to throw it in here

I couldn't help but Laugh at Dreger's ridiculous assumptions.

Says Canucks issues are Center ice & goaltending which are completely incorrect, it seems he has forgotten about Mike Santorelli, aswell as the recent acquisition of Shawn Matthias. (Then add the possibility of Bo Horvat).

Then on goaltending, I think most people who have seen a Canucks game this season know Eddie Lack is a perfectly capable starter. Playing just as well as Luongo at the time of his trade. Goaltending isn't a problem and never has been, whether its Luongo, Schneider, or Lack between the pipes. But hey, I guess his suggestion would be make Toronto an offer for Riemer.

Then the Kesler/Luongo comparison is just the icing on the cake, situations are absolutely nothing alike, only similarities are they play/played for the same team when a trade talk/speculation began.

Leafs TV should hire him, he'd fit right in.

It's come to the point that pretty much all of the Canadian hockey teams are fairly weak right now compared to the rest of the league, Montreal is the only best chance to making it to the SCF and Montreal aren't the team they were a couple years ago. I'm hoping Toronto and perhaps Winnipeg can grab a playoff spot though unlikely for Winnipeg.

Archived