The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison potential buyout candidate

missioncanucksfan

This has nothing to do with the Sedins. Sure the whole team is having a poor year but that doesn't automatically excuse the obvious. Garrison constantly misses the net, when he does hit it it's usually in the crest of the goalie. He isn't a very fast skater, I have seen him beat to the puck several times leading to a 2 on 1 or a breakaway. He's not worth what is being paid for him, I don't understand why Gillis gives such long contracts with NTC's to so many players, where if it doesn't work out there's not much that can be done about it.

The guy has a terrible shooting percentage, but its still higher than all of our core defensemen besides Tanev. He has higher shooting percentage than Elder, Hammer, Bieksa and Stanton. Garrison may miss the net more than he should, but so does a ton of our players. Regardless of missed shots he has been far and wide our best defensemen offensively and no one in their right mind should be trying to make a case that we should buy him out. Insanity.

Not a chance Garrison is bought out.

- Leads our d-core in goals (7) and points (32). Next closest in points is Bieksa (24).

- Leads our d-core in PP goals and PP points.
- His (+/-) is -5, which is better than Edler and Weber, and only one point less than Bieska at -4.
- He lead our d-core with a +18 last year, and was 2nd on the team overall behind H. Sedin (+19).
- He lead our d-core in goals last year as well.
- It is entirely possible that like pretty much the entire roster, he has struggled to adjust to Tortorella's system, while a guy like Booth has just individually struggled over several seasons and different coaches.

So Garrison is our best defenceman in points. He plays 20+ minutes every game. He sits at a respectable 4,6M per year.
David Booth is our 9th best forward point production-wise, 17 points in 60 games. He's injury prone, get way more money than he deserves, and simply isn't a fit at all since he isn't good enough for the 2nd line, and we have plenty of 3rd liners already.
Conclusion?
CDC want Garrison bought out. That's logic on a whole new level. I honestly just wanna scream.

Obviously Garrison will never be bought out this summer. I rather hope that Booth isn't either. I'd much much much much rather have Edler bought out, as he has been a far greater liability than asset. Let one of the young guys move in and take his place.

Not a chance Garrison is bought out.

- Leads our d-core in goals (7) and points (32). Next closest in points is Bieksa (24).

- Leads our d-core in PP goals and PP points.

- His (+/-) is -5, which is better than Edler and Weber, and only one point less than Bieska at -4.

- He lead our d-core with a +18 last year, and was 2nd on the team overall behind H. Sedin (+19).

- He lead our d-core in goals last year as well.

- It is entirely possible that like pretty much the entire roster, he has struggled to adjust to Tortorella's system, while a guy like Booth has just individually struggled over several seasons and different coaches.

Good post.

Worst season in years with many players slumping/struggling and fans jump on Garrison?

Oh, I forgot...an off year means the player should be bought out, traded or put on waivers. So far I have seen Kesler, Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Schroeder, Edler, Garrison, Higgins, Sestito and of course Booth as the top candidates.

There are so many varibles that have contributed to this poor season and many people realized early on that it was a wash. Next year, the team won't be as restricted by cap hit, injured players will return healthy and the prospect pool will look even better.

"Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man" (Neil Finn). :shock:

Garrison's (+/-) vs Current Playoff Teams:

2013/2014 to date, reverse order. Taken from the Canucks' website.

ANA -1

COL 0

TBL -1

STL 0

MTL 0

BOS -1

CHI -1

ANA -1

LAK 0

9 games since he was (+) vs a playoff team.

STL +1

PIT +2

ANA -2

LAK -3

TBL -1

PHI -1

CHI +1

BOS +2

COL +1

NYR 0

LAK -2

CHI 0

SJS 0

ANA -1

LAK -2

SJS 0

STL +2

PIT -2

PHI +1

SJS -2

SJS -1

So first off, the Canucks have only played 30 games (of 76) vs teams that are currently in a playoff position. :bigblush:

Garrison is -13 in these 30 games. In games that mean the most, and are allegedly used to show the best just where you and your team stand in this league, he is -13.

Some say the (+/-) stat is useless. But its not. Especially when its spread out over a whole season. It is rating of how you play 5 on 5, which is the bulk of every game. Some say, a guy just steps onto the ice, on a bad change, and get a (-) and its not fair. What about stepping onto the ice and your team scoring. Is this fair? It all evens out in the end when using a large sample size.

I did this with Edler and Bieksa too and not surprisingly the same thing happened. In fact this might be true for most dmen in the NHL.

Everyone was wondering why V didnt use Garrison on the first unit PP last year. V knew what he was doing.

In order for Garrison's shot to have any accuracy at high velocity he has to seemingly stop the puck first, set it up, then shoot. His one timer isnt very good - nowhere near Salo's (the guy he was supposed to replace)

How many times have the guys on the half wall setup the puck for him perfectly, he one times it and misses.

When he stops the puck before shooting it the opposing D and goalie have opportunity to setup and block the shot.

Just because he has a heavy shot doesnt mean it is accurate or reliable.

There is a reason Garrison wasnt drafted.....

The other guy that drives me nuts on the PP is Kesler. How many times have the passed the puck around only for him to end up using his wrist shot - he misses the net more often than not and the puck rolls around the glass and out to the D zone.

A little off topic but.........Toronto had used both of their buy outs last year with Grabovski and Komisarek and I bet they would love to buy out Clarkson if they could.

With Booth finally showing up. Maybe we'll just keep him for one more season. So here's the question: would you trade with Toronto with Clarkson coming here along with their 1st round pick of this year so we can buy him out for them? We're literally buying that 1st round pick (11th overall) from them. The buy out is $20 million by the way.

A little off topic but.........Toronto had used both of their buy outs last year with Grabovski and Komisarek and I bet they would love to buy out Clarkson if they could.

With Booth finally showing up. Maybe we'll just keep him for one more season. So here's the question: would you trade with Toronto with Clarkson coming here along with their 1st round pick of this year so we can buy him out for them? We're literally buying that 1st round pick (11th overall) from them. The buy out is $20 million by the way.

Posted almost at the same time on the Leaf's site:

Posted Today, 01:01 PM

leafer22, on 31 Mar 2014 - 00:41, said:snapback.png

Phaneuf, and Clarkson are NOT going anywhere. They have terrible contracts, no sensible GM will take.

Maybe Vancouver's GM is interested...he doesn't seem to be very sensible...

God damn it why couldn't we have kept Ehrhoff?

God damn it, because he wanted too much money and term. The Sabres also gave him a better chance to win the cup with Cody (teehee). He did and does miss the net an awful lot, the grass is just greener ya know. I would have been quite happy to keep Erhoff, I wouldn't want the contract, but probably would have been fine with it if he was here now. I guess what I'm saying is, he's no better than what we have...in my opinion anyways.

duncan keith only has 35 hits in 11 more games played.

tanev is nearing elite as a shutdown defenceman, and is becoming very good as a puck mover. he plays to his strengths.

garrison doesn't have strengths to play to.

Except his outlet pass, his shot and him moving people out of the crease, but it's clear you are going to ignore any positives so I think I just wasted my time typing this.

Except his outlet pass, his shot and him moving people out of the crease, but it's clear you are going to ignore any positives so I think I just wasted my time typing this.

Funny for how much tas rips Canuck brass his player assessment is 20 times worse than the guys he complains about.

I wish people would realize that our entire defense sucks collectively instead of looking to prop some up (Bieksa, Hamhuis) by flogging others (Garrison).

Garrison needs to improve in a few areas for sure. Should he be bought out? Not unless the reason for it is a true #1 offensive dman is coming to town. But then I would say Bieksa and Edler could be shown the door as well if that were going to happen. Garrison is not terrible. He is just average. Like our entire defense as a group.

Too many like-minded and miscast players and not enough willing to do the dirty work.

actually defensively were alright its our top 9 that needs improvement.

I was thinking, it's a fore gone conclusion that Vancouver will use it's buy out right. Why would they? Only to state that a investment they'd made had run it's course. Just because we hear some CBC hack state Garrison could be a buy out candidate doesn't mean it's remotely true. I for one have been disappointed in Garrison offensively and considered the buy thought on him and soon came to the conclusion he'd be hard to replace even though he's not scoring as much as we'd like. Hell I'd like to see the puck shot on net for once or even a hit from Garrison but he's not a defensive liability like Edler has become.

Using the buy out just because it's there doesn't make sense. With Booth coming on maybe the only buy out will be the coach.

I would keep Jensen and replace him in that package with Garrison. The Predators would lose big player with a hard shot, so Garrison would help to assuage the pain.

Jensen will be amazing by next season. I could see a line of Jensen Matthias Kassian causing a lot of teams some grief.

Losing Tanev would hurt, but (and this is a big but) Weber is a better defenseman than both Garrison and Tanev combined.

The main thing I'd miss about Hansen is his voice.

Archived