The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Renewed respect for Kevin Bieksa

hockeyville88

i remember the summer after 09-10, when luongo gave up the captaincy and people were debating who would get it, the bieksa trashing was in full force at the same time. i made the suggestion that it was a no-brainer that hank gets the 'c' and juice would definitely get an 'a'. well, the majority here wanted bieksa gone for scraps at the time, and the same people typically thought kesler was the obvious choice for captain. needless to say, i took a hell of a lot of flak for that view.

and yet here we are.

I'll miss him when Gillis trade Bieksa away for magic beans.

I agree with a lot of commenters, give this guy the C next season. What really surprises me, is we actually have a defenseman that everyone doesn't want a buyout or trade for. I think there is a thread on every other D-man on the team, screaming that they suck and we need to ditch them

Go Juice

Because, you clown, Henrik Sedin won the Art Ross trophy and the Hart a few years ago. He was given the C the next year. Remember the Hart trophy? It's the one given to the player deemed most valuable to their team across the entire league. Let's not forget that Henrik possesses some great leadership qualities as well. If anyone suggested Bieksa's name for captain over Henrik when the C was in the air and Henrik had just made a quantum leap they would have been laughed to scorn. The guy put the team on his back and proved he could create offence without his all-star placenta pal Daniel. All while building a nice ironman streak despite a nightly beating on the boards and no respect from the officials. Juice is awesome. Total captain material. But let's not just turn on Hank.

Juice would make a great captain sure. So would Kes, so would Henrik. You think Bieksa wearing the C would change anything about how he or anyone else approached the game? Give your heads a shake. Everyone looked up to Hank a few years ago, now what his point totals are down and his ironman streak is over we should strip him of the C? Get a life. You've never had a letter on your shoulder and you've never been in the Canucks dressing room so you don't know what you are talking about.

Henrik already gets enough disrespect from the league, opposing teams, and fans of other markets. He doesn't need it from fans of his own team.

Good teammates get behind their captain, whoever he is, and support him. Good fans do the same.

While I agree that Hank was and is a deserving captain, you took a good point and spoiled it by resorting to calling someone a "clown" for having an opposing viewpoint.

Stick with the point (which was a valid one) and skip the vitriol and you've got a solid post. The one above just makes you look like a jerk.

i remember the summer after 09-10, when luongo gave up the captaincy and people were debating who would get it, the bieksa trashing was in full force at the same time. i made the suggestion that it was a no-brainer that hank gets the 'c' and juice would definitely get an 'a'. well, the majority here wanted bieksa gone for scraps at the time, and the same people typically thought kesler was the obvious choice for captain. needless to say, i took a hell of a lot of flak for that view.

and yet here we are.

I remember this as well. I also remember that giving Juice the "A" was reportedly Hank's idea. It was widely panned by the then legion of Bieksa bashers.

Some of us who supported him used this as an example of what his teammates thought about him.

Kevin Bieksa has always been my favourite Canuck (along with Kes).

Bieksa earned full respect when the reporters asked why he took a pay cut and he said "How much money do I really need? I'm happy with my 2003 Nissan".

Source? Link?

Damage done wouldn't be worth it to give Bieksa the C IMO. These days it's a leadership core anyway, so it's not like Bieksa isn't recognized as one of the leaders on the team if he's not wearing the C.

And who knows what happens behind closed doors? Henrik isn't as outspoken as Bieksa, it doesn't mean he's not the leader privately.

Damage done wouldn't be worth it to give Bieksa the C IMO. These days it's a leadership core anyway, so it's not like Bieksa isn't recognized as one of the leaders on the team if he's not wearing the C.

And who knows what happens behind closed doors? Henrik isn't as outspoken as Bieksa, it doesn't mean he's not the leader privately.

I think it's more of a "lead by example" kind of thing. Things like stepping up in weight class to fight guys like Getzlaf and Boyle, (even though his detractors would have you believe that he "picks his spots") or taking Lain's spot for the faceoff against Westgarth that endears Juice to fans and his teammates.

That being said, I agree about Hank. I think there are some people who feel you have to be an all-out "heart on your sleeve" person to be an effective captain, but when you look at guys like Lidstom, Sakic and Yzerman, you can see that it really isn't an accurate assessment.

When I think of a current player that would make a great impact, later on, I can only think of Kevin. He brings what Steamer has brought the Canucks; tons of grit, the heart of a lion. All-round great person. One can only hope...

Why are you trying to fight with people? This is a positive thread about a great Canuck and some people thinking he would make a great captain. Nobody is attacking Henrik, take your hostility elsewhere.

Sorry. I was a little pissed off the other day. I took it as a knock on Hank with everyone rushing off to ... Bieksa and give him the C. Remember you have to take it from one guy to give it to another.

PS. I liked Bieksa before it was cool.

Because, you clown, Henrik Sedin won the Art Ross trophy and the Hart a few years ago. He was given the C the next year. Remember the Hart trophy? It's the one given to the player deemed most valuable to their team across the entire league. Let's not forget that Henrik possesses some great leadership qualities as well. If anyone suggested Bieksa's name for captain over Henrik when the C was in the air and Henrik had just made a quantum leap they would have been laughed to scorn. The guy put the team on his back and proved he could create offence without his all-star placenta pal Daniel. All while building a nice ironman streak despite a nightly beating on the boards and no respect from the officials. Juice is awesome. Total captain material. But let's not just turn on Hank.

Juice would make a great captain sure. So would Kes, so would Henrik. You think Bieksa wearing the C would change anything about how he or anyone else approached the game? Give your heads a shake. Everyone looked up to Hank a few years ago, now what his point totals are down and his ironman streak is over we should strip him of the C? Get a life. You've never had a letter on your shoulder and you've never been in the Canucks dressing room so you don't know what you are talking about.

Henrik already gets enough disrespect from the league, opposing teams, and fans of other markets. He doesn't need it from fans of his own team.

Good teammates get behind their captain, whoever he is, and support him. Good fans do the same.

Remember, the captaincy is for the fans and the media. It's a PR position.

Henrik and Beiksa could really care less about who has the "C" I don't think it means anything to the players at all.

All it really means is you have to do more interviews and you get blamed for everything.

? Your wild assumptions as to what I think about Henrik from my 17 words are monumentally idiotic. Take a few steps back from the keyboard and rethink your life.

tumblr_ml4dliWiz31ris79ko1_500.gif

Archived