The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Renewed respect for Kevin Bieksa

hockeyville88

I pray he is here until he retires.

I've loved him his entire career - through all the trade speculation and rumours.

I sincerely hope he's around to mentor some young defensemen for us; He has ALWAYS reminded me of Chris Pronger in the sense that he plays his best hockey when he's a little bit p!ssed off.

Kevin Bieksa is everything young players should strive to be.

Warrior.

How has he not been Captain for the past 3-4 years is what I would like to know ?

Because, you clown, Henrik Sedin won the Art Ross trophy and the Hart a few years ago. He was given the C the next year. Remember the Hart trophy? It's the one given to the player deemed most valuable to their team across the entire league. Let's not forget that Henrik possesses some great leadership qualities as well. If anyone suggested Bieksa's name for captain over Henrik when the C was in the air and Henrik had just made a quantum leap they would have been laughed to scorn. The guy put the team on his back and proved he could create offence without his all-star placenta pal Daniel. All while building a nice ironman streak despite a nightly beating on the boards and no respect from the officials. Juice is awesome. Total captain material. But let's not just turn on Hank.

Juice would make a great captain sure. So would Kes, so would Henrik. You think Bieksa wearing the C would change anything about how he or anyone else approached the game? Give your heads a shake. Everyone looked up to Hank a few years ago, now what his point totals are down and his ironman streak is over we should strip him of the C? Get a life. You've never had a letter on your shoulder and you've never been in the Canucks dressing room so you don't know what you are talking about.

Henrik already gets enough disrespect from the league, opposing teams, and fans of other markets. He doesn't need it from fans of his own team.

Good teammates get behind their captain, whoever he is, and support him. Good fans do the same.

Great guy to have on your team. If you don't want to go too far back just think back to the Calgary game and how he stepped in for Lain in the faceoff dot. Juice is all heart. He stands up for himself and everybody else on the team whether it's the skilled players, seasoned vets, or young rookies... he's always going to have his teammates backs. Great guy to have in the locker room too, you can tell by the way he conducts interviews, and with the way he's been taking care of Kassian. He knows Kass is a vital part of this team going forward, and he's tried to support him. You can tell the 2 of them have become real close. Can't say enough about Mr. Bieksa. All the respect in the world for him.

And let's not forget his awesome shenanigans such as these ones:

and of course

You can tell that he cares about putting on the Canucks uniform and representing the team and the city.

Have to admit that part of me wanted him gone when Hamhuis and Ballard came over in the 2010 offseason. For probably the only time ever, Salo getting injured was a good thing as he provided just enough cap relief to keep Bieksa on the team. Then Edler got hurt when Salo was about to come back and there never was a need to trade Juice.

People always point out how good the 2010-11 team was and how the Canucks were never able to replicate that kind of success, but the Canucks benefited from luck in the way that they were able to keep Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Salo, and Ballard on the team for the whole year without going over the cap. Without it, they probably don't make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Anyway, Bieksa is one of those players that gives me pride in supporting this team and I haven't been able to say that about many others.

It's extremely nice to see a thread where almost all the fans can come together and agree on something positive. Bieska deserves this kind of recognition.

Sorry to disappoint you. Not a KB fan, and never will be. Hope he'll be playing for some other team next season already.

We have a captain, a well deserved captain who leads by example and is every bit as loyal, plays injured, is a team-first guy and a great example of how to conduct yourself with dignity and respect.

That said, I've created a different status/title for Bieksa.

Henrik is the Captain.

Kevin is the General.

Very easy to identify with that leadership group imo.

I agree with the OP and think the team needs to galvanize around his type of personality and leadership.

I'm glad management decided to move Luongo quickly when the opportunity presented itself and I believe his comments / "advice" to Kesler were the clincher.

If Kesler doesn't want to be here, I think they shouldn't hesitate to make that happen as well - it'll be a much easier sell than Luongo was - and if in fact he is doubtful about staying or has one foot out the door, give him what he wants the moment the right offer is made.

Beyond that, I think there is a mix of character, leadership, talent and team-first players to retain and continue to build around.

Because, you clown, Henrik Sedin won the Art Ross trophy and the Hart a few years ago. He was given the C the next year. Remember the Hart trophy? It's the one given to the player deemed most valuable to their team across the entire league. Let's not forget that Henrik possesses some great leadership qualities as well. If anyone suggested Bieksa's name for captain over Henrik when the C was in the air and Henrik had just made a quantum leap they would have been laughed to scorn. The guy put the team on his back and proved he could create offence without his all-star placenta pal Daniel. All while building a nice ironman streak despite a nightly beating on the boards and no respect from the officials. Juice is awesome. Total captain material. But let's not just turn on Hank.

Juice would make a great captain sure. So would Kes, so would Henrik. You think Bieksa wearing the C would change anything about how he or anyone else approached the game? Give your heads a shake. Everyone looked up to Hank a few years ago, now what his point totals are down and his ironman streak is over we should strip him of the C? Get a life. You've never had a letter on your shoulder and you've never been in the Canucks dressing room so you don't know what you are talking about.

Henrik already gets enough disrespect from the league, opposing teams, and fans of other markets. He doesn't need it from fans of his own team.

Good teammates get behind their captain, whoever he is, and support him. Good fans do the same.

Why are you trying to fight with people? This is a positive thread about a great Canuck and some people thinking he would make a great captain. Nobody is attacking Henrik, take your hostility elsewhere.

Sorry to disappoint you. Not a KB fan, and never will be. Hope he'll be playing for some other team next season already.

+1

i don't remember our real blueliners - Ohlund and Salo - getting this kind of love from the fanbase. i guess that's what happens when you're born into mediocrity; a player can be average at best in his whole career, but hey, no worries, as long as he's funny in interviews and acts like he's a tough guy, he should wear the c and retire as a canuck. captain material my a**s

+1

i don't remember our real blueliners - Ohlund and Salo - getting this kind of love from the fanbase. i guess that's what happens when you're born into mediocrity; a player can be average at best in his whole career, but hey, no worries, as long as he's funny in interviews and acts like he's a tough guy, he should wear the c and retire as a canuck. captain material my a**s

tell us how you really feel. we're, well, i'm here for you, for maybe like, 5 more minutes cause i'm tired and you're already starting to get boring

This is a big difference from 5 years ago. When some of the jackels in here would tear him up and down. Trading him for a 3rd round pick, ect.

It was awful, I remember. I got flamed for wearing his jersey back then and people just didn't see it. He had little support here, even through those terrible injuries people were screaming for him to be moved, yet he stayed loyal and dedicated to this city. It's taken most a fair while to come around.

Archived