The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

As a CF myself, I do take control, but I know when my other fielders are in a better position to catch it, I let them and trust them. Pillar doesn't seem to see it like this, and feels he needs to take control way too much, almost as if he doesn't trust his fielders, that's not good on his part.

Exactly. He's got two veteran guys who can field well. Hopefully it's something he'll grow out of.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere else that would have been a pop fly out. The wall is tall, but the field is ridiculously short. It's a compensation thing. Back when Fenway started there was actually seating in front of it, but things changed. If they wanted to keep baseball in Fenway, that thing it had to exist, with all the right handed sluggers out there. The right field fence at Yankee stadium is probably far worse of a quirk, where guys like Babe Ruth and many others have made incredible use of it, where it's very short and low.

But I love that these parks don't have standardized regulations. Baseball would be far more boring if every field looked the same. These variations stop things from feeling so sterile.

Yeah, it's just weird to see since NHL rinks all have the same dimensions nowadays even though that wasn't always the case. I would assume NBA courts too; NFL and MLS and EPL fields, etc.

Yeah, it's just weird to see since NHL rinks all have the same dimensions nowadays even though that wasn't always the case. I would assume NBA courts too; NFL and MLS and EPL fields, etc.

NHL, NBA and NFL fields yes. But Soccer fields can be expanded or shrunk in their dimensions to a certain extent if the team decides that's what they want for the season.

Idk about you guys but have a feeling in about a months time Boston will leapfrog the Jays in the standings.

Was a solid prediction.

AA was on Sportsnet yesterday saying they have the assets and money to make moves for pitching, and also they are prepared to do it. But then he says the trade market is slow right now. AA keeps sprewing the same non-sense. I laugh at the comment about them having the money. Yeah, right. Rogers is cheap.

This guy isn't going to do anything and Jays will waste the season offense is having and how the division is wide open for anyone to win. This should and has to be AA's last chance and want him and Gibbons fired if they miss the playoffs again.

Also a solid prediction.

:bigblush:

I was reading back in this thread a week ago and all of us were writing the season off in July. Amazing how quickly things can turn around.

However go back and read TRR's hate for Cecil. Never got the hate back then and now he has been automatic lately.

Edited by gmen81

I was reading back in this thread a week ago and all of us were writing the season off in July. Amazing how quickly things can turn around.

However go back and read TRR's hate for Cecil. Never got the hate back then and now he has been automatic lately.

Amazing to see what good defense and an indisputable ace will do. In my mind Reyes hurt us far to often. Tulo has closed that up and goins has filled in nicely for Travis. This team is well worth watching daily :)

Why is Pennington in the game? He can't even hit against Lefties anyways, Goins or Kawasaki still give you a better chance at bat.

Always will dislike Gibbons no matter what.

Switch hitter. Both Goins and Moony are lefties, so CP is there to start against left handed pitching. He's hitting well below the Mendoza line as a Jay, but all it takes is an injury to Gogo and he becomes a needed commodity. Gibby has to get him some ABs, so he isn't completely rusty when needed.

Red Sox were 7-3 before the series started, so even though their overall record is poor, its not like the Jays are facing a team currently struggling.

Gibbons must have a HUGE crush on Martin.

Far and away the best defensive catcher on the roster. (As we saw on that steal attempt)

His average hasn't been great, but his defense is the important thing. He has to get some credit for the way the pitching has rebounded in the second half as well.

Switch hitter. Both Goins and Moony are lefties, so CP is there to start against left handed pitching. He's hitting well below the Mendoza line as a Jay, but all it takes is an injury to Gogo and he becomes a needed commodity. Gibby has to get him some ABs, so he isn't completely rusty when needed.

Far and away the best defensive catcher on the roster. (As we saw on that steal attempt)

His average hasn't been great, but his defense is the important thing. He has to get some credit for the way the pitching has rebounded in the second half as well.

I agree, but why not start him in the bottom of the inning instead of in an important offensive situation.

I sound like I'm always harping on the guy. The truth is he is one of my favourite Jays (I have to have a soft spot for the Canadian). I just want him to be given a mental/physical break (like a week) as he is in a rut and hasn't been able to pull himself out.

I agree, but why not start him in the bottom of the inning instead of in an important offensive situation.

I sound like I'm always harping on the guy. The truth is he is one of my favourite Jays (I have to have a soft spot for the Canadian). I just want him to be given a mental/physical break (like a week) as he is in a rut and hasn't been able to pull himself out.

He's certainly no worse offensively than Thole and in a tie game you want the guy with 17 homers to get a shot.

It would have been nice to be able to give Navarro an AB, but with the game going into extras, you can't burn all three catchers.

Did you not read past what you highlighted? I know why Gibby is putting him in the game, but it doesn't MATTER because he can't hit anyways. Great switch hitter who went 0-5 and is now batting 0.74, wow that switch hitting is so much better option then Goins or Kawasaki..................NOT.

Did you not read past what you highlighted? I know why Gibby is putting him in the game, but it doesn't MATTER because he can't hit anyways. Great switch hitter who went 0-5 and is now batting 0.74, wow that switch hitting is so much better option then Goins or Kawasaki..................NOT.

I understand that he's not hitting and said as much in my post. I also pointed out that he might be needed if Goins is injured, which is why Gibby gave him the start against a tough lefty who likely would have given Goins and/or Kawasaki a tough time.

It's easy to use 20/20 hindsight and say that he had a poor night at the plate so it was a bad decision, but it's solid baseball strategy and it's been around for over 100 years.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

I understand that he's not hitting and said as much in my post. I also pointed out that he might be needed if Goins is injured, which is why Gibby gave him the start against a tough lefty who likely would have given Goins and/or Kawasaki a tough time.

It's easy to use 20/20 hindsight and say that he had a poor night at the plate so it was a bad decision, but it's solid baseball strategy and it's been around for over 100 years.

If you don't think I know baseball and the way the game is played your wrong, I've been playing for 26 years. Yeah I don't have a problem with them doing that if one the player is actually hitting, or two your team is not in a postion for post season and it makes total sense to do it. But when your in a Pennant race, and these are games you need to win no matter what, I don't care you put out the best player available for you to win period. And I'm sorry, but CP is not the best option at the moment and where this team is standing, hence another reason why I have never been a fan of Gibby, some of the moves he makes just all you can do is shake your head.

My whole point is he shouldn't even be in ANY games right now, he doesn't help this team to win and that's all that matters right now.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

If you don't think I know baseball and the way the game is played your wrong, I've been playing for 26 years. Yeah I don't have a problem with them doing that if one the player is actually hitting, or two your team is not in a postion for post season and it makes total sense to do it. But when your in a Pennant race, and these are games you need to win no matter what, I don't care you put out the best player available for you to win period. And I'm sorry, but CP is not the best option at the moment and where this team is standing, hence another reason why I have never been a fan of Gibby, some of the moves he makes just all you can do is shake your head.

My whole point is he shouldn't even be in ANY games right now, he doesn't help this team to win and that's all that matters right now.

I've been playing for about 46 years. So we've got that out of the way.

Are you familiar with the lefty-righty match up strategy that teams have been employing since before your grandfather was born? DO you remember the John Olerud years? Cito used to sit him against lefties as well.

I don't think you know baseball as well as you think you do...

I've been playing for about 46 years. So we've got that out of the way.

Are you familiar with the lefty-righty match up strategy that teams have been employing since before your grandfather was born? DO you remember the John Olerud years? Cito used to sit him against lefties as well.

I don't think you know baseball as well as you think you do...

Well your trying to explain information to me that I already know, and acting like I don't know the game when I clearly do, and your missing my whole point. The lefty-Righty works when the guy can HIT, obviously CP can't hit so how is he the better option? Jezz even Adam Lind hits better against Lefties then CP can, just because you don't want lefty-lefty, you might as well if the guy has a better chance at hitting and clearly they all do over CP. Sometimes you need to evolve, just because it's the most common thing to do in the game, you need to open your eyes and see sometimes it's not the better option anyways.

Well your trying to explain information to me that I already know, and acting like I don't know the game when I clearly do, and your missing my whole point. The lefty-Righty works when the guy can HIT, obviously CP can't hit so how is he the better option? Jezz even Adam Lind hits better against Lefties then CP can, just because you don't want lefty-lefty, you might as well if the guy has a better chance at hitting and clearly they all do over CP. Sometimes you need to evolve, just because it's the most common thing to do in the game, you need to open your eyes and see sometimes it's not the better option anyways.

You're basing this opinion on far too small a sample size. That's what makes me question your knowledge of the game.

People who understand the game know that players go through slumps, especially players joining a new team. If Gibby had used your philosophy, Ben Revere would be on the bench instead of leading off.

It's worth noting that both Revere and Tulowitzski struggled at the plate right after their acquisitions. Both have had far more ABs to turn that around than CP has. It's also worth noting that when you include Pennington's time in Arizona, his 162 game average is virtually identical to that of Goins and Kawasaki.

You're basing this opinion on far too small a sample size. That's what makes me question your knowledge of the game.

People who understand the game know that players go through slumps, especially players joining a new team. If Gibby had used your philosophy, Ben Revere would be on the bench instead of leading off.

It's worth noting that both Revere and Tulowitzski struggled at the plate right after their acquisitions. Both have had far more ABs to turn that around than CP has. It's also worth noting that when you include Pennington's time in Arizona, his 162 game average is virtually identical to that of Goins and Kawasaki.

Ben Revere was the top hitter in the NL last year and Tulo is a 300 hitter and allstar SS you knew they would come around...comparing them to Pennington is a stretch even as an example..although I do get what you are saying..its a lefty righty thing but I also get that you play the best player on any given night in a pennant race...but you need lefties on the bench.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Ben Revere was the top hitter in the NL last year and Tulo is a 300 hitter and allstar SS you knew they would come around...comparing them to Pennington is a stretch even as an example..although I do get what you are saying..its a lefty righty thing but I also get that you play the best player on any given night in a pennant race...but you need lefties on the bench.

It's more a matter of comparing the respective slumps of those three and comparing the lifetime averages of Pennington, Kawasaki and Goins. It would be a different case if Goins was a .300 hitter, but he's not. His numbers over his career are similar to those of Pennington, but he doesn't have as much experience and CP is a switch hitter and draws more walks.

All of those things considered, I think it's hardly the egregious error in judgement for Gibby than certain posters are claiming, especially when we're talking about a guy hitting at the bottom of the order.

It's more a matter of comparing the respective slumps of those three and comparing the lifetime averages of Pennington, Kawasaki and Goins. It would be a different case if Goins was a .300 hitter, but he's not. His numbers over his career are similar to those of Pennington, but he doesn't have as much experience and CP is a switch hitter and draws more walks.

All of those things considered, I think it's hardly the egregious error in judgement for Gibby than certain posters are claiming, especially when we're talking about a guy hitting at the bottom of the order.

Understood...Goins wasnt exactly lighting it up till recently..but as I said the other day..Goins seemed to tweak his leg the other day getting out of the box..could have been just maintenance.