The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Probably just Smoak. I thought Bourn was a minor league contract?

Should of explained more in depth, but your right they want to see if he can get back to his old self first. But like myself and I think the Jays as well they don't feel to comfortable with Smoak they will give him a chance, but I think they may look at the option I suggested if Smoak fails, of course he's on a 4 game hitting streak now lol.

I read this 5 days ago.

Due to the struggles of Smoak and Chris Colabello, manager John Gibbons said Edwin Encarnacion may begin to see more playing time at first base with someone else taking over DH duties, the Toronto Sun reports.

19 hours ago, Pears said:

Yankees fans can't say anything because they have A-Roid but jeez...

...and Aroldis Chapman...

15 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Anyone else getting tired of all the phone calls checking if they need a replay...

I said it last year: There should be a time limit on challenges. If you really think your guy was jobbed, call for the replay. If it's so close that it takes 10 minutes to decide, live with the ump's call.

• Upvote 1

One good thing came of the Colabello suspension...It opened up a roster spot, which the Jays used to add pitcher Chad Girodo. Sure enough, Aaron Sanchez had his first poor start of the season and Girodo was called on to keep the Jays in it.

Which he did. For two solid innings.

I know it's only one appearance, but the idea of a lefty reliever who can go more than one inning makes me warm and fuzzy...

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One good thing came of the Colabello suspension...It opened up a roster spot, which the Jays used to add pitcher Chad Girodo. Sure enough, Aaron Sanchez had his first poor start of the season and Girodo was called on to keep the Jays in it.

Which he did. For two solid innings.

I know it's only one appearance, but the idea of a lefty reliever who can go more than one inning makes me warm and fuzzy...

Also, we don't have to watch Colabello flail around at the plate and swing over every changeup he sees.

9 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Also, we don't have to watch Colabello flail around at the plate and swing over every changeup he sees.

You actually reminded me of something I saw yesterday that just drove me nuts...

I can't remember what inning it was, but Edwing and Smoak had both just struck out on two-strike curveballs. Up came Martin who immediately got into his own two-strike count. I was trying to telepathically tell him to lay off the breaking ball, because after the tow previous at-bats, it was obvious to me what was coming from Gray.

Sure enough Martin swings at a 59 foot overhand curve. :wacko: 

It's no wonder the bottom half of the order sucks. When hitters can't see what's right in front of their faces...

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

I have to say...as much as I didnt like Happ the first time around with the Jays..Im liking him more this time..looks real comfortable out there and a good solid lefty starter.

Yeah I was as critical of the signing as anybody but he's put up so far this year. I remember reading a quote from him saying that his time in Pittsburgh wasn't just a fluke, that he'd actually made some adjustments and felt a lot better. So far he's showing that.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You actually reminded me of something I saw yesterday that just drove me nuts...

I can't remember what inning it was, but Edwing and Smoak had both just struck out on two-strike curveballs. Up came Martin who immediately got into his own two-strike count. I was trying to telepathically tell him to lay off the breaking ball, because after the tow previous at-bats, it was obvious to me what was coming from Gray.

Sure enough Martin swings at a 59 foot overhand curve. :wacko: 

It's no wonder the bottom half of the order sucks. When hitters can't see what's right in front of their faces...

I don't get too upset seeing that from a guy like Smoak- at this point in his career, what you see is what you get and what you get isn't a ton of emphasis on the 'ol BA. Martin though...should know better. This is a guy who's spent some time as a leadoff hitter in his career but sometimes his pitch selection is just crap.

17 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I thought they were supposed to be performance enhancing….I don't think Colabello was taking them right lol!

Maybe the guy was not taking them?  Or, maybe he's the one of a group that got caught?  

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I see Hutch is pitching tomorrow...I dont like the sounds of that...when did he come back up..must have missed it..is that because a spot opened up with Colobello gone?

Yeah, plus an excuse to give the starters a bit of a break with all the games they've had lately.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I see Hutch is pitching tomorrow...I dont like the sounds of that...when did he come back up..must have missed it..is that because a spot opened up with Colobello gone?

Jays have played more games than anybody in the league, so Gibby and co. likely think an extra starter is the way to go. (Looking at Sanchez's last start, it's hard to argue)

Wade Leblanc has been Buffalo's best starter so far, but the Jays probably think Hutch's pro experience gives him the edge. His ERA is a bit high at 4.11, but his last two starts have been good (1 ER in each) and his WHIP is pretty good at 1.11. He also has a pretty good SO/BB ratio in his last 2, at 14/6.

It's likely only going to be a spot start, so I'm not too concerned. It's a long season and more important to protect the arms of Stroman and Sanchez than worry about winning the series with the A's, especially with the 11-6 Chisox coming in for three games, starting on Monday.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I have to say...as much as I didnt like Happ the first time around with the Jays..Im liking him more this time..looks real comfortable out there and a good solid lefty starter.

he is doing better than Price at the moment.

• Upvote 1