The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Really scary event in Houston yesterday:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/us/houston-foul-ball-hurts-child-trnd/index.html

A little girl was hit by a foul ball off the bat of Albert Almora Jr of the Cubs. She was taken to hospital and Almora was in tears.

There hasn't been any update on the girl's condition, but she was conscious (and crying) while being carried from the stands. Really hoping she's okay...:(

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:42 PM, shiznak said:

Bellinger is killing it right now. Leading the league in almost every offensive category and has a full 2 points WAR rating over the next guy.

Traded him for a pick in my baseball pool cuz I didn’t have room for him as a keeper. Kept these guys instead over him. 

JD Martinez 

Blackmon

Machado

Turner

DeGrom

Verlander

Benintendi

Sanchez. 

After searching for 2 days for updates on the little girl who was hit by the foul ball at the Cubs-Astros game, I finally found this:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article230978543.html

Sports Talk 790 in Houston tweeted that the child was awake, responsive and taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons. Best of all, the girl is expected to be fine, the station said.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'd ask when is the Edwin Jackson experiment going to end but with the Jays apparently more than eager to trade Stroman, Sanchez, and Giles, I'm thinking 13-2 will be the norm this year.

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/blue-jays-aaron-sanchez-leaves-another-start-with-finger-issue-570173.html

"

Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Aaron Sanchez left Monday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays after three innings of work because of a right middle finger nail avulsion, the team announced.

Sanchez has been bothered by finger issues on multiple occasions this season and over the past three years."

I heard a clip on either 650 or 1040 that said Sanchez ripped off a fingernail, so I'm guessing it will be awhile before he's tradeable :(

Blue Jays select West Virginia ace Alek Manoah No. 11 overall

With the 11th pick in the 2019 MLB amateur draft, the Toronto Blue Jaysselected Alek Manoah, a junior right-handed pitcher from West Virginia.

Manoah was not drafted out of high school but broke out almost immediately after arriving at West Virginia. He was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman team as a reliever, then built on his solid sophomore campaign by averaging nearly 13 strikeouts per nine innings in seven Cape Cod League starts last summer.

This season, Manoah truly emerged as West Virginia's ace. He was named Big 12 Pitcher of the Year by unanimous vote after leading the conference in multiple categories and became the first Big 12 hurler since at least 2003 to strike out 15 in consecutive conference starts. He's also excelled at limiting power, giving up just three homers this year and seven during his entire college career.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1759346

• Upvote 1

Blue Jays select prep hurler Kendall Williams No. 52 overall

With the 52nd pick of the 2019 MLB amateur draft, the Toronto Blue Jays selected right-handed pitcher Kendall Williams from IMG Academy.

The 6-foot-6 Williams can regularly reach 94 mph with his fastball and could add more velocity as he matures. Because of his height, the ball is deceivingly faster due to the steep plane and angle that Williams throws it at. He also throws a slider, changeup, and curve with the latter being his best secondary pitch as scouts like his high three-quarter slot.

Williams is committed to Vanderbilt and his draft stock is trending in the right direction thanks in large part to a switch to IMG Academy in Florida. The 18-year-old has thrived with better competition after moving in January 2017 from his home in Mississippi.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1768060

(I kind of like this one more then the 1st pick due to the age for potential)

48 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Blue Jays select prep hurler Kendall Williams No. 52 overall

With the 52nd pick of the 2019 MLB amateur draft, the Toronto Blue Jays selected right-handed pitcher Kendall Williams from IMG Academy.

The 6-foot-6 Williams can regularly reach 94 mph with his fastball and could add more velocity as he matures. Because of his height, the ball is deceivingly faster due to the steep plane and angle that Williams throws it at. He also throws a slider, changeup, and curve with the latter being his best secondary pitch as scouts like his high three-quarter slot.

Williams is committed to Vanderbilt and his draft stock is trending in the right direction thanks in large part to a switch to IMG Academy in Florida. The 18-year-old has thrived with better competition after moving in January 2017 from his home in Mississippi.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1768060

(I kind of like this one more then the 1st pick due to the age for potential)

Which makes me wonder if they'll be able to sign him.

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Which makes me wonder if they'll be able to sign him.

Yeah that's the risk so I get why he was the 2nd pick, but I feel the Jays have some good youth coming up which may help a player young like that see an opportunity available here, and having Guerrero Jr, is a good selling point.

Blue Jays select Canadian Dasan Brown in 3rd round of MLB draft

The Toronto Blue Jays selected Canadian outfielder Dasan Brown with the 88th pick in the third round of the 2019 MLB amateur draft on Tuesday.

Brown, an Oakville, Ont., native who attends Abbey Park High School, is the first Canuck to be selected in this year's draft. He took the day off school because he didn't want to disrupt his teachers by getting a phone call from an MLB front office during class, according to Scott Mitchell of TSN.

The 18-year-old, who's listed at 6-feet and 185 lbs, has committed to Texas A&M University and played for the Canadian junior national team.

"He's got game-changing speed," Baseball Canada director Greg Hamilton said. "He's probably going to be one of the fastest guys in the draft, regardless of who's in there. Game-changing speed on defense and game-changing speed offensively. Rarely do you see that kind of speed on (the) baseball field.

"Is he a finished product as a hitter? Not yet. But there's certainly the hand speed to handle good velocity and he's shown that he's able to make some adjustments now and show some productivity as a hitter."

For the first time since 2012, no Canadians were picked in the first two rounds of the draft. Mississauga's Bo Naylor was the highest Canadian selected in 2018 when he went 29th overall to the Cleveland Indians.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1781613

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Blue Jays select Canadian Dasan Brown in 3rd round of MLB draft

The Toronto Blue Jays selected Canadian outfielder Dasan Brown with the 88th pick in the third round of the 2019 MLB amateur draft on Tuesday.

Brown, an Oakville, Ont., native who attends Abbey Park High School, is the first Canuck to be selected in this year's draft. He took the day off school because he didn't want to disrupt his teachers by getting a phone call from an MLB front office during class, according to Scott Mitchell of TSN.

The 18-year-old, who's listed at 6-feet and 185 lbs, has committed to Texas A&M University and played for the Canadian junior national team.

"He's got game-changing speed," Baseball Canada director Greg Hamilton said. "He's probably going to be one of the fastest guys in the draft, regardless of who's in there. Game-changing speed on defense and game-changing speed offensively. Rarely do you see that kind of speed on (the) baseball field.

"Is he a finished product as a hitter? Not yet. But there's certainly the hand speed to handle good velocity and he's shown that he's able to make some adjustments now and show some productivity as a hitter."

For the first time since 2012, no Canadians were picked in the first two rounds of the draft. Mississauga's Bo Naylor was the highest Canadian selected in 2018 when he went 29th overall to the Cleveland Indians.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1781613

Man, sure hope the Jays know what they're doing with all these guys.  Sure hope they convince these kids to skip college or it'll be a wasted pick.  (I don't think they get compensatory picks outside the first round do they?)

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Man, sure hope the Jays know what they're doing with all these guys.  Sure hope they convince these kids to skip college or it'll be a wasted pick.  (I don't think they get compensatory picks outside the first round do they?)

You need to still draft young and develop to find out, nothing wrong with drafting skilled players who are young. If the Jays feel the player is worth it they can sign them, and hold his rights for him a bit I believe, similar to what they did with Guerrero Jr.. 

Not sure about the compensatory pick.

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You need to still draft young and develop to find out, nothing wrong with drafting skilled players who are young. If the Jays feel the player is worth it they can sign them, and hold his rights for him a bit I believe, similar to what they did with Guerrero Jr.. 

It's not so much the development curve that I worry about, it's the lure of going to college and getting a bigger pay day if they get picked higher a couple of years from now.

For example, if someone like Kendall Williams thinks he can go in the first round after a year or two of college, he's probably better off not signing and going to college.  This can easily backfire (like with an injury), but college life is probably better than Gulf Coast League life.

Just hoping the Jays did their homework and are picking high school guys they know they can sign.  It may take paying above slot to pay away those college years, but yeah, the higher ceiling could be worth it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just found this:

A Rule 4 Draft compensation pick is awarded to a club if the club is unable to sign a player selected in one of the first three rounds of the MLB Rule 4 Draft 

So, not a disaster if they don't sign.  Crisis averted.:frantic:

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just found this:

So, not a disaster if they don't sign.  Crisis averted.:frantic:

wording of this has me wondering if they meant any of their first three picks, all of them, or just "one of the first three rounds"?

so all three don't sign and the Jay's get just one compensatory pick?

Blue Jays select Braden Halladay in 32nd round

With their 32nd-round selection (957th overall) in the 2019 MLB Draft, the Toronto Blue Jays selected Braden Halladay, a pitcher from Calvary Christian High School in Florida.

Braden is the son of Blue Jays icon and Hall of Fame pitcher Roy Halladay, who died in a plane crash in 2017. Roy Halladay wore No. 32 with the Blue Jays, and his number is retired by the team.

Braden is committed to pitching at Penn State University.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1782135

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

@ReggieBush: So Clint Frazier is finally getting some playing time with the Yanks and he's doing pretty well....

That being said, when Judge and Stanton are healthy, there isn't really any room for Frazier in the outfield and in addition, he appears to have a bit of a feud going with the NY media.

Do you still take the Stroman for Frazier straight up deal?