The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That was awesome!  Previous record fir most HRs in the derby 61 by Stanton.  Vlady jr. already has 67.  He’s still got the final round!  The game tomorrow is going to very anticlimactic.  I love this!  

Yeah very exciting, especially when the guy you want to win, wins :gocan:

• Upvote 1

Was bored, so for a summer project I'm throwing together a Blue Jay spreadsheet like a do for the Canucks.

The all-time Blue Jays team based on at-bats and innings pitched looks as follows:

C  Ernie Whitt

1B  Carlos Delgado

2B  Damaso Garcia

3B  Ed Sprague

SS  Tony Fernadez

LF  George Bell

CF  Vernon Wells

RF  Jose Bautista

DH  Edwin Encarnacion

SP  Dave Stieb

SP  Jim Clancy

SP  Roy Halladay

SP  Pat Hentgen

SP  Jimmy Key

RP  Bret Cecil

RP  Duane Ward

RP  Jerry Garvin

RP  Tom Henke

RP  Jim Acker

For the most part a whos who of Blue Jays history but Ed Sprague?!  (Edged out Gruber and Mulliniks)  Never realized Blue Jays never had a guy for too long at that position.  Hopefully Vladdy can blow past him in time.

Watching the game right now against Detroit and thinking the Jays are looking really good, in terms of the future, for batters and fielders.

However I don't know that the same can be said for their pitching, is there anyone on their roster that would/will be with the team when it tries to contend in the play offs?

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

Watching the game right now against Detroit and thinking the Jays are looking really good, in terms of the future, for batters and fielders.

However I don't know that the same can be said for their pitching, is there anyone on their roster that would/will be with the team when it tries to contend in the play offs?

Ahaha, "Clean Shaven Danny Jansen", I hope that is a nickname that'll stick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/decision-haunt-blue-jays-looms-dalton-pompey/

I'll go on the record and state that waiving Pompey will not come back to haunt the Jays.  The guy has wheels but, at this point (26 years old), that's about it.

This one I do question a bit tbh just because he is still only 26 he isn't 30 yet, I get the frustration part due to injuries but he's got skill, if they're willing to hang onto Travis this long still and he's 28, I don't see why they couldn't of done the same with Pompey. 

I really hope no one grabs him, but I believe a team will.

I got a feeling @Xbox isn't going to be liking this move by the Jays.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This one I do question a bit tbh just because he is still only 26 he isn't 30 yet, I get the frustration part due to injuries but he's got skill, if they're willing to hang onto Travis this long still and he's 28, I don't see why they couldn't of done the same with Pompey. 

I really hope no one grabs him, but I believe a team will.

I got a feeling @Xbox isn't going to be liking this move by the Jays.

Yeah, stranger things have happened with prospects finally getting it together, but I still have serious doubts that he can be a MLB batter.  That being said, I would be a little surprised too if he clears waivers, he could aid some playoff-bound team as a pitch-runner.

It may not happen this year, but I don't think Travis' days with Jays are long either.  There's a lot of depth in the middle infield that is passing him now.  He could be done the moment he gets healthy.  So what I'm saying is, I guess he's a Jay for life.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/decision-haunt-blue-jays-looms-dalton-pompey/

I'll go on the record and state that waiving Pompey will not come back to haunt the Jays.  The guy has wheels but, at this point (26 years old), that's about it.

I read this article earlier and I was wondering if the Jays move some guys (Stroman, Sogard, Giles, Smoak, Galvis) would this open a spot for them to keep DP?

I guess the DFA answers that question...

Been catching games on delay but Youtube has last night.    More and more impressed with how the younger Jays are playing their positions and taking their at bats even if the results were lean last night.   This team reminds me of the Yankees of a few years ago when they fell off the earth in the standings but were back two years later and people wondered how that happened when it was all due to having some great young talent brought along the right way.   Very impressed with this new manager - Charlie seems to understand development.

• Upvote 2