The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Agreed. Gets a little hyper out there sometimes and encroaches into the other fielders territory. I've seen Bautista get pissed off at him a couple times.

The center fielder is the general of the OF. Most times, the corner OFs will defer to the CF if the CF thinks he can get to it.

On the ball that Pillar missed in the first inning, I'd give Revere about 50% of the blame.

KP went after the ball as he should have. The rule of thumb is that anything the center fielder can get to, he takes, unless the left or right fielder has called it early and has an easier play.

On this particular fly ball, Pillar put his arms out in a gesture that to any outfielder, says "I can't see the ball". At that point, Revere has to take charge and call Pillar off. If you watch the replay, Revere is very indecisive and by the time he decides to go after the ball it's too late.

I think that they'll talk it over and Revere will eventually become more comfortable with taking charge in such a situation.

This doesn't mean the KP is blameless. He obviously would have been aware that a fly ball in the left-center gap was going to be a tough play for him because of the position of the sun. He should have discussed the situation with Revere before the game started.

I've played a lot of center field in my lifetime and have been in the exact situation that Pillar was in this morning. I always made a point to go to the left fielder ahead of time and tell him, "Hey, the sun is going to be right in my eyes on any fly ball hit between us. If you can get to it, go ahead and call me off".

Luckily, the play didn't cost the Jays, but the outfield needs to sort this sort of thing out before it does.

• Upvote 1

On the ball that Pillar missed in the first inning, I'd give Revere about 50% of the blame.

KP went after the ball as he should have. The rule of thumb is that anything the center fielder can get to, he takes, unless the left or right fielder has called it early and has an easier play.

On this particular fly ball, Pillar put his arms out in a gesture that to any outfielder, says "I can't see the ball". At that point, Revere has to take charge and call Pillar off. If you watch the replay, Revere is very indecisive and by the time he decides to go after the ball it's too late.

I think that they'll talk it over and Revere will eventually become more comfortable with taking charge in such a situation.

This doesn't mean the KP is blameless. He obviously would have been aware that a fly ball in the left-center gap was going to be a tough play for him because of the position of the sun. He should have discussed the situation with Revere before the game started.

I've played a lot of center field in my lifetime and have been in the exact situation that Pillar was in this morning. I always made a point to go to the left fielder ahead of time and tell him, "Hey, the sun is going to be right in my eyes on any fly ball hit between us. If you can get to it, go ahead and call me off".

Luckily, the play didn't cost the Jays, but the outfield needs to sort this sort of thing out before it does.

Revere is a CF..he probably knows whats going on..he has been in the league a lot longer than Pillar he is probably used to taking charge and playing LF he was unsure..I see Pillar running madly waving his arms quite a bit and I agree..I think Bautista might have been a little mad a few times, but you are right,,they need to both get on the same page a bit more.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Revere is a CF..he probably knows whats going on..he has been in the league a lot longer than Pillar he is probably used to taking charge and playing LF he was unsure..I see Pillar running madly waving his arms quite a bit and I agree..I think Bautista might have been a little mad a few times, but you are right,,they need to both get on the same page a bit more.

I think it's more a case of being the new guy and not wanting to upset the apple cart as it were, rather than being unsure about the play.

I think Revere knows that he should have called Pillar off, but was reluctant to do so with a CF he's not all that familiar with. I also think that this will become less and less of an issue as the two play together and get to know each other more.

I think it's more a case of being the new guy and not wanting to upset the apple cart as it were, rather than being unsure about the play.

I think Revere knows that he should have called Pillar off, but was reluctant to do so with a CF he's not all that familiar with. I also think that this will become less and less of an issue as the two play together and get to know each other more.

agree..pretty much nailed it ..a mistake or 2 after the run they are on we can live with.

Agreed. Gets a little hyper out there sometimes and encroaches into the other fielders territory. I've seen Bautista get pissed off at him a couple times.

The center fielder is the general of the OF. Most times, the corner OFs will defer to the CF if the CF thinks he can get to it.

agree..pretty much nailed it ..a mistake or 2 after the run they are on we can live with.

Hee hee, aren't we all glad this is about the only issue about the Jays we can talk about?

Shows how much the bullpen has been turned around. :P

I love how this team keeps pulling these 11 game winning streaks out. Was reading about how they've now had 5 in their franchise's history, but that doesn't factor in that 4 of those streaks have happened within the last 3 years. So far those other 3 were sadly followed by very mediocre ball. I'm hoping that their fall back to earth when it happens won't be so hard this year, and also that 11 wins is not some arbitrary limit that they struggle to overcome either. With Price pitching I have to predict 12.

Just watching the game as I type this; but man is this team ever fun to watch right now.

And it's fun by committee, from the lead-off->9, everybody is capable of changing the game on 1 swing these days it seems. I have confidence in the defense. The Rotation is mostly strong...the "weak link" in it still has found ways to win many games. Can't say enough about the bullpen now with Sanchez, Hawkins and Lowe strengthening it. With every outting in gaining faith in Osuna as the pressure has been taken off him. It's a great time to be a Jays fan.

Really?

Yep. The CF has priority on any ball that is in the gaps. It's basically a fail-safe to keep outfielders from running into each other. You're taught from Little League up, if the center fiielder calls for it, you give way.

It helps that the CF is almost always the guy with the best range, as well...

Yep. The CF has priority on any ball that is in the gaps. It's basically a fail-safe to keep outfielders from running into each other. You're taught from Little League up, if the center fiielder calls for it, you give way.

It helps that the CF is almost always the guy with the best range, as well...

I am surprised that more people don't know about the subtleties of the game.

I am surprised that more people don't know about the subtleties of the game.

I'm actually surprised (and gratified) that there's been so much interest and discussion here lately. I've always loved talking baseball, but for the most part all I ever heard was "Baseball sucks! It's too boring" etc. etc.

I think the more people learn about the nuances and subtleties of the game, the more they come to appreciate it.

Of course, having the Jays in first place doesn't hurt either... B)

I'm actually surprised (and gratified) that there's been so much interest and discussion here lately. I've always loved talking baseball, but for the most part all I ever heard was "Baseball sucks! It's too boring" etc. etc.

I think the more people learn about the nuances and subtleties of the game, the more they come to appreciate it.

Of course, having the Jays in first place doesn't hurt either... B)

Baseball is all about the game behind the game.

John Farrell was discovered to have Stage 1 Lymphoma while undergoing surgery for his hernia.

I hate the guys as much/more than the next Blue Jays fan, but I wish him a quick and full recovery. Luckily they found it early, so they could deal with it.