The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Could have realistically won 2/3.

Now just have to get back to winning streak. Still 7 games vs Yankees left. So far 8-4 season series.

Jays should have won the first game if Gibbons hadn't let Price go out for the 8th and then have Sanchez crap the bed giving Yankees the win.

Is it too late to fire Gibbons and bring in someone who is competent, experienced and won before like Cito Gaston, Bobby Cox, Lou Pinella or Joe Torre (yeah I know he works for MLB)

Jays should have won the first game if Gibbons hadn't let Price go out for the 8th and then have Sanchez crap the bed giving Yankees the win.

Is it too late to fire Gibbons and bring in someone who is competent, experienced and won before like Cito Gaston, Bobby Cox, Lou Pinella or Joe Torre (yeah I know he works for MLB)

I agree that Price shouldn't have gone out for the 8th given the number of hits he gave up, but that's one decision in a series of several hundred decisions that go into a baseball game. It also sounded from your post that Gibbons was the reason Sanchez 'crapped the bed'.

Was that one decision a very costly one? Definitely. However, I'd only hold it against Gibbons if he made the same mistake twice. He has a new pitcher in Price, and maybe the newness factored into his decision.

Pretty ridiculous to blame Gibbons for that. Price is the best pitcher on the roster and as such, gets more leeway from the manager. Any manager.

Gibby made the move to bring in Sanchez, who has been lights out up that point. He made a mistake and Beltran didn't miss it. If you'd been paying attention to the entire series, you'd note that Beltran was missing very little this weekend.

Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight is significantly lower and I think you have the two confused.

Gibby has made his share of mistakes this year, but sticking with his two best pitchers is not one of them. At some point, the players have to get the job done and in that situation, it was Sanchez's job to get Beltran out.

Hutch got demoted today. I get the reasoning but it's weird to a see a pticher with a 12-2 record (yes I know his peripherals tell a different story) get demoted. I assume he will be back shortly.

Edited by RonMexico

Hutch got demoted today. I get the reasoning but it's weird to a see a pticher with a 12-2 record (yes I know his peripherals tell a different story) get demoted. I assume he will be back shortly.

Yeah, I feel he played some of his best ball of the year his last 2 games. Improve and you get demoted? Unless the plan is to have him pitch down there, over this next period with lots of days off.

I'm pretty sure it is only because they intend to skip a start in the rotation and have him pick up a game. It's a short term transaction just like Loup.

Just meant to keep the arms fresh.

I'm pretty sure it is only because they intend to skip a start in the rotation and have him pick up a game. It's a short term transaction just like Loup.

Just meant to keep the arms fresh.

For sure I knew the reasoning when I typed it. It's actually not uncommon across the league.

They are on a 10 game road trip with 3 rest days. They only need 4 starters.

Hutch is like 9-1 or 10-1 at home, he sucks at home.

Optioning him allows them to bring backup outfielders, in case of injuries.

Edited by Jaimito