The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

56 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yep. I've come to terms with that now but still desperately wish for a Jose Fernandez trade. 

The raw tools on this Junior Lake are pretty solid though. Could end up being a good player.

aint gonna be there...Revere, Saunders, Pillar and Bats make it almost impossible for this kid...I wish they would trade Pillar for pitching help....great field, no stick we can live with...Saunders can go get em...except for his fracked knee...we will see...dont forget Pompey...Bats can be moved to DH but what about EE....I really think he should go too.

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

aint gonna be there...Revere, Saunders, Pillar and Bats make it almost impossible for this kid...I wish they would trade Pillar for pitching help....great field, no stick we can live with...Saunders can go get em...except for his fracked knee...we will see...dont forget Pompey...Bats can be moved to DH but what about EE....I really think he should go too.

I think there's a good chance EE is in s different uniform next year. Luckily I think Lake is eligible for the minors unlike rule 5 players. Get him lots of reps, see what he can do. I think Pillar has the makings of an adequate offensive player, definitely needs to draw more walks and find more ways on base though. The defence he brings at a premium position is too valuable to let go IMO, unless you're somehow acquiring a guy who's great on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I think there's a good chance EE is in s different uniform next year. Luckily I think Lake is eligible for the minors unlike rule 5 players. Get him lots of reps, see what he can do. I think Pillar has the makings of an adequate offensive player, definitely needs to draw more walks and find more ways on base though. The defence he brings at a premium position is too valuable to let go IMO, unless you're somehow acquiring a guy who's great on both sides of the ball.

Agreed..but I cant stand Pillar..I have for a couple of years now..I just dont like the guy and I find myself hoping for his downfall...strange..eh?

Reports have it that AA might be joining the Marlins front office in some capacity (not GM), after the new year. I'm surprised he would work for that POS owner Loria, with him being a die-hard Expos fan growing up.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Money talks

Then there's something called pride. Loria is arguably one of worst owners in baseball history. The shady stuff he did with the Expos and Marlins, makes Steinbrenner look like a Saint to Red Sox fans.

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Reports have it that AA might be joining the Marlins front office in some capacity (not GM), after the new year. I'm surprised he would work for that POS owner Loria, with him being a die-hard Expos fan growing up.

Well, you know, as they say "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Do elaborate - feel free to provide a context.

Probably the issue some fans have with him over-running his corner guys on balls in the gap. I actually like the mentality he has of catching whatever he can get to, he just needs to communicate better with his corner guys.

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Probably the issue some fans have with him over-running his corner guys on balls in the gap. I actually like the mentality he has of catching whatever he can get to, he just needs to communicate better with his corner guys.

I agree that you want that mentality out of your centerfielder.

Most of the criticisms I've heard come from people who don't know what they're talking about.  I also think some people simply don't respect him because they perceive him to be a leprechaun or something lol.

People tried to blame him for Tulo's injury - but they obviously never played the position and don't know the game. 

As for 'over-running his corner guys' - he's the field general - what he wants is his - it's not up to him to yield to L/R fielders - it's really that simple.   Bautista is a decent outfielder - with a great arm, but he's not a vacuum cleaner like Pillar.  He might yield a bit with the kind of speed they have in left field - particularly Revere, but on the other hand, Revere's arm is weak and regardless, Pillar's role is to run the outfield.

He's a playmaker - you want him aggressive and making plays.  It's true that it's his job to back up on balls he clearly can't get to (that goes both ways), but Pillar is a special talent- the type you let do what he does and live with the odd time his judgement isn't perfect - no player's is.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree that you want that mentality out of your centerfielder.

Most of the criticisms I've heard come from people who don't know what they're talking about.  I also think some people simply don't respect him because they perceive him to be a leprechaun or something lol.

People tried to blame him for Tulo's injury - but they obviously never played the position and don't know the game. 

As for 'over-running his corner guys' - he's the field general - what he wants is his - it's not up to him to yield to L/R fielders - it's really that simple.   Bautista is a decent outfielder - with a great arm, but he's not a vacuum cleaner like Pillar.  He might yield a bit with the kind of speed they have in left field - particularly Revere, but on the other hand, Revere's arm is weak and regardless, Pillar's role is to run the outfield.

He's a playmaker - you want him aggressive and making plays.  It's true that it's his job to back up on balls he clearly can't get to (that goes both ways), but Pillar is a special talent- the type you let do what he does and live with the odd time his judgement isn't perfect - no player's is.

Trust me I know the game and played it at s high level. The CF gets priority but there's times where the corner guys have a better angle to come through the ball and make s throw and sometimes he ignores that.