The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Once José is back I would hope that he would be DH'ing, nothing wrong with Edwin at first, Although maybe taking turns with Edwin to get smoak some playing time too. José at DH would be the best thing for the team anyway, he hasn't been himself defensively at RF. 

On 7/18/2016 at 8:01 PM, ShakyWalton said:

who knows how innocent he is..but in my travels no one has been innocent so far..they will tell you they are...but its never proven.

But it doesnt seem to matter in baseball..so its really a non issue.

But normally it's pretty obvious, you can really tell in their body. Let's be honest here, sure didn't look like Colabellos bodied transformed into anything....  

Sometimes I wonder what's really in American food/meat, because I feel they still put steroids in their meat, it was proven years ago to make their people bigger, so you never know...

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

But normally it's pretty obvious, you can really tell in their body. Let's be honest here, sure didn't look like Colabellos bodied transformed into anything....  

Sometimes I wonder what's really in American food/meat, because I feel they still put steroids in their meat, it was proven years ago to make their people bigger, so you never know...

I thought so too but we could be wrong. There are steroids that don't make drastic changes to your body but can to your performance. Primobolan (what A-Rod took) doesn't make huge aesthetic changes, for example. 

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

true,,he isnt what you would call roided up for sure...they also put hormones in beef to make the beef bigger...that could be...anyway..he has served his 80 games..what happens now we will have to wait and see....but he wasnt doing much before he got suspended.

On 7/18/2016 at 9:04 PM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'd bet he was juicing last year, or did at some point prior to the season. It just seems a little far fetched that a guy would jump from Indy ball to hitting well over .300 in the bigs at that age. 

I see that side of the situation as well, and as mentioned why I am a still 50/50 on the whole situation still. Like I'm not going to lie his whole body language, posture, fielding doesn't look like a regular type player, but somehow he got it done. As mentioned to Shaky though, we never really saw any size or more athletic ability to his overall body, so how did it really help him become better? Had better eye vision to see the ball?

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

true,,he isnt what you would call roided up for sure...they also put hormones in beef to make the beef bigger...that could be...anyway..he has served his 80 games..what happens now we will have to wait and see....but he wasnt doing much before he got suspended.

Well he is pretty much a right off for the season, because I read he isnt even eligible for playoffs if the Jay's make it, so not much for him. I really believe being known in advance that no matter what your being suspended, and it played big time in his mind and he couldn't concentrate at all.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I see that side of the situation as well, and as mentioned why I am a still 50/50 on the whole situation still. Like I'm not going to lie his whole body language, posture, fielding doesn't look like a regular type player, but somehow he got it done. As mentioned to Shaky though, we never really saw any size or more athletic ability to his overall body, so how did it really help him become better? Had better eye vision to see the ball?

Well added strength could help him st the plate in a lot of ways. Increased bat speed would allow him to get the barrel to the ball more often, ground ball outs suddenly have eyes and make their way through infield, jam shots turn into blooper singles, fly ball outs become doubles and home runs, etc. I think the increased bat speed would be a big one though. 

Ultimately you still have to be able to hit, the steroids and their benefits just make it easier to do that. I played with plenty of guys that juiced- some of them saw major improvements, others saw minimal. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Well added strength could help him st the plate in a lot of ways. Increased bat speed would allow him to get the barrel to the ball more often, ground ball outs suddenly have eyes and make their way through infield, jam shots turn into blooper singles, fly ball outs become doubles and home runs, etc. I think the increased bat speed would be a big one though. 

Ultimately you still have to be able to hit, the steroids and their benefits just make it easier to do that. I played with plenty of guys that juiced- some of them saw major improvements, others saw minimal. 

Definitely can agree on your points the bat speed for sure, I just don't see why he would risk it all after everything he did to finally get where he was, but yeah you can argue he wanted to make sure he stayed in the bigs. I just can't pick a side yet, but I still want to believe him for now. 

When I played with the Coquitlam Reds back in the day, had a couple pitchers go down South to play with some Americans. They came back and said it's crazy down there everyone is doing roids, guys are all like 6"3-6"4 just jacked. They just want to get to that next level, but everyone they are competing against are juicing as well so they need to beat them. This was 13 years ago though.

And just on a side note I play against Michael Saunders in my last year on the Reds. And also played against Adam Lowen, who did play for the Jays a couple years ago. 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

18 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Definitely can agree on your points the bat speed for sure, I just don't see why he would risk it all after everything he did to finally get where he was, but yeah you can argue he wanted to make sure he stayed in the bigs. I just can't pick a side yet, but I still want to believe him for now. 

When I played with the Coquitlam Reds back in the day, had a couple pitchers go down South to play with some Americans. They came back and said it's crazy down there everyone is doing roids, guys are all like 6"3-6"4 just jacked. They just want to get to that next level, but everyone they are competing against are juicing as well so they need to beat them. This was 13 years ago though.

And just on a side note I play against Michael Saunders in my last year on the Reds. And also played against Adam Lowen, who did play for the Jays a couple years ago. 

Yeah steroids are super prevalent st the junior college level especially. Testing is pretty lax, only 3 guys tested at random each month so it's possible you can go 2 years at Juco and never take a test. Steroids are getting more and more common here in Canada too. When I was playing high school baseball in the PBL (you're familiar with it) about 5-7 years ago now there was some guys juicing. At least three I played with. It's kind of sad, really. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well he is pretty much a right off for the season, because I read he isnt even eligible for playoffs if the Jay's make it, so not much for him. I really believe being known in advance that no matter what your being suspended, and it played big time in his mind and he couldn't concentrate at all.

I didnt know he isnt eligible for the playoffs...why is that,,same as Barney last year?

Sanchez seriously saving this management group's ass for the mediocre offseason efforts to keep the pitching staff competitive.

Happ has been alright, but not enough for a team that has the guns to make a run at the WS.

Previous management groups - you'd expect them to go out and augment before the deadline.

Shapiro...not so sure.

Get an arm to two.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sanchez seriously saving this management group's ass for the mediocre offseason efforts to keep the pitching staff competitive.

Happ has been alright, but not enough for a team that has the guns to make a run at the WS.

Previous management groups - you'd expect them to go out and augment before the deadline.

Shapiro...not so sure.

Get an arm to two.

Easier said than done.

...as for all this "talk" of moving Sanchez to the pen, one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Like seriously. This guy is the ace and there's speculation on whether or not he should be moved out of the rotation. Give me a break. If anything Stroman should be the once being considered instead of Sanchez seeing how shaky he's been. Flabbergasting.

6 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Easier said than done.

...as for all this "talk" of moving Sanchez to the pen, one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Like seriously. This guy is the ace and there's speculation on whether or not he should be moved out of the rotation. Give me a break. If anything Stroman should be the once being considered instead of Sanchez seeing how shaky he's been. Flabbergasting.

The reasons for this have been discussed ad nauseam earlier in the thread. As much as it sucks for the Jays fans it's not totally unreasonable.

I never thought to start the season I'd be more excited for Sanchez, Estrada and Happ starts over Stroman. I'll say Sanchez Happ and Estrada have been very good. If Sanchez gets moved to the pen for innings limitation does anybody think they'd move him back to a starter for the playoffs if we make it?

8 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Easier said than done.

I agree but its all to do with innings pitched...from what I understand even the union can get involved if the Jays dont handle it right..good interview with Buster Olney touches on these things..

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/video/how-has-the-plan-changed-for-sanchez~914549

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree but its all to do with innings pitched...from what I understand even the union can get involved if the Jays dont handle it right..good interview with Buster Olney touches on these things..

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/video/how-has-the-plan-changed-for-sanchez~914549

They have talked about velocity too.  I wonder if Sanchez's velocity stays constant if they'll let him breeze past the innings limit.

8 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Easier said than done.

Anything is easier said than done TRR -  but get it done.  If Shapiro does nothing at this deadline he should be shown the door after one season.  Of course, that won't happen, because ownership aren't winners.

Stroman never should have been put in the position of being a rookie ace - too young, too much pressure - and it's not surprising he has been inconsistent.

They've been fortunate Sanchez has stepped up so well, but that doesn't change the fact their bullpen is spotty and their starting rotation is lead by a pair of young, inexperienced arms.

Get something done.  No excuses.  The team has the makings of a contender.  Doing nothing is unacceptable, but unfortunately it looks like quarter measures are enough to make Rogers happy.

If they let the deadline pass without attempting to improve their pitching staff, they've misread their fanbase. 

And insulted veterans like JB, EE, Tulo and Donaldson.

They're at a crossroads - management inactivity would be inexcusable imo.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

I think it will ultimately come down to what Atkins can do at the trade deadline.

If he adds a decent starter, I think Sanchez moves to the Pen. A 7th, 8th and 9th combo of Cecil, Sanchez and Osuna would look pretty good. However, if they could somehow land an 8th inning guy like Miller (or a cheaper option like Jeanmar Gomez of the Phillies, or Will Smith from the Brewers), I could see Sanchez staying in the rotation and possibly being held out for a start here and there, to keep his arm fresh.

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it will ultimately come down to what Atkins can do at the trade deadline.

If he adds a decent starter, I think Sanchez moves to the Pen. A 7th, 8th and 9th combo of Cecil, Sanchez and Osuna would look pretty good. However, if they could somehow land an 8th inning guy like Miller (or a cheaper option like Jeanmar Gomez of the Phillies, or Will Smith from the Brewers), I could see Sanchez staying in the rotation and possibly being held out for a start here and there, to keep his arm fresh.

They said yesterday that they have pretty much found their 8th inning guy in Grilli...he has been nothing short of outstanding since his arrival...where Cecil has been nothing short of crappy..although he is a leftie...