The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

If the starters deal more effectively, we may see some reduced work and pressure on the pen, maybe things could turn around.

I agree. A solid rotation usually seems to have a "trickle down" effect on the rest of the team. The bullpen is more rested. Hitters don't go to the plate thinking they have to take one out....

Sometimes you're going to run into a starter like King Felix and even a well pitched game by your guy won't be enough, but over the long haul, I think if the Jays can get 75% quality starts, their offense will be able to get them enough runs to win games.

It sucks when you gotta score 6 runs to have a chance to win a game haha. The sad part is in the next offseason they'll probably sign Justin Morneau instead of a guy like Cueto. sigh..

Jays expressed interest in Morneau some years back. If AA is still around I can see it happening. Hopefully they clean house of AA, Gibbons and the front office and management, so it doesn't happen. But on the flip side what if Morneau wanted to finish his career in Canada with Jays.

If AA is around next offseason and spends more money on bats instead of pitching I might cry. If he can unload 12 mil ERA Dickey, 19 mil Buerhle (ufa at seasons end), 22 mil Reyes and 4 mil Navarro could free up 57 mil per year in cap space!!! Could easily add two of like the top 5 pitchers in Price, Zimmerman, Cueto, Latos and Simardzja and still have enough money for a pen arm.

A rotation of

Zimmerman, Cueto, Stroman, Hutchison, Sanchez

with the bats

2b Travis

3b Donaldson

RF Bautista

DH Encarnacion

C Martin

1b Smoak/Valencia

LF Collabelo/Saunders

CF Pillar/Saunders

SS Goins

If AA is around next offseason and spends more money on bats instead of pitching I might cry. If he can unload 12 mil ERA Dickey, 19 mil Buerhle (ufa at seasons end), 22 mil Reyes and 4 mil Navarro could free up 57 mil per year in cap space!!! Could easily add two of like the top 5 pitchers in Price, Zimmerman, Cueto, Latos and Simardzja and still have enough money for a pen arm.

A rotation of

with the bats

2b Travis

3b Donaldson

RF Bautista

DH Encarnacion

C Martin

1b Smoak/Valencia

LF Collabelo/Saunders

CF Pillar/Saunders

SS Goins

Good outlook.. I have to agree ... I really like Samaradja ,, I was hoping they got him before he was traded last year...the Jays have to make some moves soon or this season is a write off..I cant imagine how the new guys such as Donaldson and Martin are handling the losing atmosphere.

A rotation of

with the bats

2b Travis

3b Donaldson

RF Bautista

DH Encarnacion

C Martin

1b Smoak/Valencia

LF Collabelo/Saunders

CF Pillar/Saunders

SS Goins

That would help big time. However, still think doesn't solve the problem, the achilles heel of the team - closing. That's an incredible starting rotation but without any bullpen help, doubt it all of suddenly pushes us over the top as serious contenders. Or I may be wrong idk but just my opinion.

Great win today

Yep. Terrific outing by Hutch. Had the Sox off balance all night.

Dickey up against leftie John Danks tonight. Hopefully RA picks up where he left off in his last start. Colabello, Donaldson and Valencia all with good numbers against Danks.

Not crazy about Reyes having to bat right handed so soon, but we'll see what happens.

Time to start winning some series...

Hard to believe, with how uneven the pitching and bottom of the lineup have been, that the Jays are only 2.5 games out of 1st in the East.

If they can go on a little run, say 12-6 over the next few series, they could be right up at the top.

They need to make up ground vs these mediocre teams. That series vs Houston was a killer.

^^ Houston has the most wins and 2nd best record in the AL. Tied for 2nd most wins in all of baseball.

I wasn't calling them mediocre.

I was saying many of the games coming up against mediocre teams are must wins.

Edited by theminister