The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

This is my issue as well. A lot of Gibbons pitching choices are awful and I dont understand why they pull good pitchers so soon or why they leave in pitchers having an off night for so long. It's killing our season.

This has been a problem for years he doesn't read his players properly in a game as it's going on. But he gets all this credit for being good, with a stacked line up to win him games, it's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I agree with Travis watching him last year the guys got power, he fits better in a non lead off role too drive players in, could take EEs spot. Personally I don't see why Upton can't be the lead off guy especially with his speed, but agree they need a legit leadoff guy who has speed. 

I would rather have Justin Morneau then Smoak at first. Maybe someone can find the stats on Smoak, but what's his average as a RH vs being LH at bat... Because I feel he needs to be better on one side before he continues being a switch hitter, he looks like a better LH hitter, but he needs to just stick to one side and become better IMO. 

Like I was saying about Gibby last year in playoffs, playing Colabello over Smoak was the right decision. Colabello was the better overall player at the time, and watching Smoak yesterday he had 2 chances to pick balls and didn't come up with any, would rather do without him.

I don't see Travis as an RBI guy. To me he's an ideal #2 hitter. He handles the bat extremely well and has the ability to shoot the ball to right field and take advantage of the gap between first and second when they have a man on first. He can also pull the ball when he wants, which means that the defense has to play him honest, rather than shifting to the right side of the infield in that situation.

He makes good contact and along with his ability to hit from "line to line", it makes him an excellent hit an run guy as well.

Bossman has pretty good speed, but he strikes out too much for a leadoff guy, IMO and he'll likely be needed in the middle of the order to offset the loss of some of the power bats this offseason.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see Travis as an RBI guy. To me he's an ideal #2 hitter. He handles the bat extremely well and has the ability to shoot the ball to right field and take advantage of the gap between first and second when they have a man on first. He can also pull the ball when he wants, which means that the defense has to play him honest, rather than shifting to the right side of the infield in that situation.

He makes good contact and along with his ability to hit from "line to line", it makes him an excellent hit an run guy as well.

Bossman has pretty good speed, but he strikes out too much for a leadoff guy, IMO and he'll likely be needed in the middle of the order to offset the loss of some of the power bats this offseason.

Travis was in the top 5 last year in RBIs before he was put into the lead off spot, then his numbers dropped, then he was injured. No question the guy can put the ball anywhere in the field, but hes adjusted his approach more because he's in a lead off position and isn't in a position to drive guys in. He's an amazing hitter and imo knows how to adjust to be put in any position actually.

Will also add with Travis it's amazing how many times he goes down 0-2 at bat. He battles up there whether it's watching balls or fouling balls off, and get a hit or walk not many walks but more hits, still he's a great batter.

Regarding Upton, I go back to last year with Revere. Revere who is a lead off batter, was not put into that position at first so he's in the middle of the lineup and needs to adjust his approach. He struggled and my argument was to have him leading off especially with his speed, finally after so long Gibbons puts him lead off and what happened? He excelled at it because he's most comfortable being in that position. Same goes for Upton he's always been a lead off guy, but here in Toronto he's in the middle of the lineup so his approach is different to try and drive guys in. Put him in his position where he is most comfortable being a lead off, and chances are he will excell at it because that's where he is most comfortable.

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

"Brawl" my a**. I hate when that crap happens. If you're gonna clear benches, somebody please throw a punch. Otherwise just sit down, shut up, and play. It makes the league, the players, and the game as a whole look bad. Baseball's just a few more of these "dust-ups" away from being laughed at the way soccer is. 

Buck and Tabby saying Smoak didn't hesitate to charge the mound. He absolutely did hesitate. He stopped and looked to his bench before making any move, and then was restrained by the ump with little to no effort. You're telling me Smoak, a big man in the physical prime of his life, couldn't have gotten after Severino if he actually wanted to? This little old man could actually hold him back? 

It's all posturing and chest-puffing IMO. 

I want MLB to institute a rule where leaving the dugout as a player results in a five game suspension. I think you'd get to see more punches thrown as guys couldn't do something stupid and then hide behind the ten members of the bullpen (I'm looking at you, Severino).

• Upvote 1

Man tbh, looking back at yesterday's events, was it ever uncalled for and stupid from a Jays POV - now knowing the results that have come from it.

...there have been 10x worse pitches thrown at JD throughout the season and this is the time the team chooses to send a message back and fight? There's less than 10 games left in the season and the Jays are in the midst of a crucial wild card race. Why risk standing up now all of a sudden,this late in the season, when in all honesty the pitch to JD wasn't terrible at all and hit him on his elbow padding. Why didn't they fracken do anything during game 62, 75, or a 100? Waiting this late into the season and now seeing what came of it is one of the most idiotic things that could've happened. You lose your bullpen arm who's been lights out with an ERA under 1 and your lead off hitter for who knows how long. And for fracken what?!...man. This team. Brutal timing to have stood up. Had all season long when JD/JB/EE were getting decked by way worse pitches and they decide to at this point of the season fight back. 

I don't even know what to say. Took the piss that's for sure. Now what? You retaliated with 8 games left in the season and lose your lead off and very important bullpen arm. Good job? Man.......

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

I just don't get retaliating against a team that is irrelevant right now. THey have nothing to lose we have everything to lose. 

I went back and watched the Yankees feed just to see what they would say about it all and I agree with them. Donaldson got hit in the elbow , no big deal. Severino walked 2 batters that inning so he didn't have his control. There was no need for Happ to throw at Headley at all. The Yankees announcers were saying it was all on the Jays for this happening and I agree with them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gmen81 said:

I went back and watched the Yankees feed just to see what they would say about it all and I agree with them. Donaldson got hit in the elbow , no big deal. Severino walked 2 batters that inning so he didn't have his control. There was no need for Happ to throw at Headley at all. The Yankees announcers were saying it was all on the Jays for this happening and I agree with them. 

Agree to a point.  This was a result of a accumulation of being thrown at over the past few years.  The Jays just took it out on the wrong team.  Heh, today, against Baltimore would've been a more appropriate team to go nuclear against.

57 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

If we play them at home I agree, but always be careful what you wish for. 

I dont actually want to lose a game because our last series is @Fenway Park, but the O's are the team I want to face in the Wild Card. Detroit scares me..

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I want MLB to institute a rule where leaving the dugout as a player results in a five game suspension. I think you'd get to see more punches thrown as guys couldn't do something stupid and then hide behind the ten members of the bullpen (I'm looking at you, Severino).

That'd be smart... Have a lil bit of a 9 on 1 fight. And if the guy getting beat on 9 on 1's team came to help him, you'd have at least 8-9 of your 25 get suspended. 

Would be a really good strategy to wail on that 1 guy in the first game of a series lol

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Agree to a point.  This was a result of a accumulation of being thrown at over the past few years.  The Jays just took it out on the wrong team.  Heh, today, against Baltimore would've been a more appropriate team to go nuclear against.

They were talking about this yesterday. Apparently JD has one of the higher incidences of having to bail out from high inside pitches. (who knew they kept stats on that sort of thing:unsure:) The team was saying that they just decided enough was enough...

However, I agree. It wasn't the time or place, and the injuries to Benoit and Travis come at a bad time.

The other factor I didn't like was Grilli and a couple of other Jays getting upset with Tex for pimping his home run. Any Jay (or Jays fan) who defended Bats' celebration against Texas last year looks pretty hypocritical calling out Texeira for his. This is a guy who's always been a class act, but playing in his final game ever at Rogers Center and he ties the game with a dramatic ninth-inning homer, in a game where there have already been two bench clearing  incidents...

....to me, that's when you flip the bat.

Once again though, I have to disagree with those criticizing Gibby for his pitching moves. Grilli has been money ever since they got him fro Atlanta and there was no reason to think that he wouldn't be again. 20/20 hindsight strikes again.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They were talking about this yesterday. Apparently JD has one of the higher incidences of having to bail out from high inside pitches. (who knew they kept stats on that sort of thing:unsure:) The team was saying that they just decided enough was enough...

However, I agree. It wasn't the time or place, and the injuries to Benoit and Travis come at a bad time.

The other factor I didn't like was Grilli and a couple of other Jays getting upset with Tex for pimping his home run. Any Jay (or Jays fan) who defended Bats' celebration against Texas last year looks pretty hypocritical calling out Texeira for his. This is a guy who's always been a class act, but playing in his final game ever at Rogers Center and he ties the game with a dramatic ninth-inning homer, in a game where there have already been two bench clearing  incidents...

....to me, that's when you flip the bat.

Once again though, I have to disagree with those criticizing Gibby for his pitching moves. Grilli has been money ever since they got him fro Atlanta and there was no reason to think that he wouldn't be again. 20/20 hindsight strikes again.

Bautista also did a mini-bat flap in either the previous game or two games before Tex...

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Bautista also did a mini-bat flap in either the previous game or two games before Tex...

Big Papi has also done several highlight reel flips in his career, but everyone loves him.

To me, the level of vitriol directed at a player who flips the bat is directly tied to how popular he is. Guys like Papi and Junior can flip to their heart's content, but guys who are universally disliked outside their own fan base (like Joey Bats, Harper and Puig) get called out on it more often than not.