The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Linden should have been brought into the mix a long time ago.. and the reason he wasn't, was Mike Gillis. In my opinion he should have been brought in (long ago) as an assistant GM... but Mike was too concerned about his backside to do it. In a way I think this (while I think it's great) is second best to what should have been. It's a sad, sad fact that MG was ever hired... but that's the way it is I guess. He was a guy who surrounded himself with yes men... and refused to hire the best talent.

Gillis was responsible for forcing Tom Larscheid out the door, and Trevor and Tom were always pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if Trevor avoided hanging around the Rog these past years largely because of that.

It could potentially be a long few years with these 2 bozos at the top. Hopefully he can surround himself with intelligent people. If I was them I'd be a little more hasty to get a GM in place well before the draft.

Wasting no time in projecting your Gillis hate onto Linden I see. Hardly been here 10 minutes and "dubuya" has called him a "bozo".

San Diego is calling.

What in particular that Linden said do you take issue with?

As for rushing to name a GM because of the draft - the team has an existing base of scouts and player personnel people who have been working on this draft for quite some time. Linden isn't being parachuted into the hockey world - he knows what kind of players are on the roster, he knows what is in the prospect pool, he knows what kind of team he wants to see, and undoubtedly he'll have a pretty damn solid idea of who he wants to draft, which still happens to be 10 or 11 weeks away. I think you're overstating your drama/anxiety here. Obviously a one day hiatus would be too much to ask.

Linden should have been brought into the mix a long time ago.. and the reason he wasn't, was Mike Gillis. In my opinion he should have been brought in (long ago) as an assistant GM... but Mike was too concerned about his backside to do it. In a way I think this (while I think it's great) is second best to what should have been. It's a sad, sad fact that MG was ever hired... but that's the way it is I guess. He was a guy who surrounded himself with yes men... and refused to hire the best talent.

Look, I appreciate and respect Linden (as a player) as much as anyone does. But, what exactly did he do to demonstrate that he's among "the best talent" as an executive, particularly in 2010-2011? Are you saying Linden should've been in the GM's seat the last 6 years? I hope #16 makes the right moves in his new post, but, surely you recognize a PR move when you see one, no? I just hope he's not fool enough to install himself as GM.

Wasting no time in projecting your Gillis hate onto Linden I see. Hardly been here 10 minutes and "dubuya" has called him a "bozo".

San Diego is calling.

What in particular that Linden said do you take issue with?

As for rushing to name a GM because of the draft - the team has an existing base of scouts and player personnel people who have been working on this draft for quite some time. Linden isn't being parachuted into the hockey world - he knows what kind of players are on the roster, he knows what is in the prospect pool, he knows what kind of team he wants to see, and undoubtedly he'll have a pretty damn solid idea of who he wants to draft, which still happens to be 10 or 11 weeks away. I think you're overstating your drama/anxiety here. Obviously a one day hiatus would be too much to ask.

I heard on good authority today via a text that people who know him in the business world do not look on him as a particuarily smart or sophisticated man. They see him more as a charismatic guy who is good at shaking hands and wooing clients. Potentially that could be very good for this team but if he is in fact meant to be the brainchild of this hockey team that makes me nervous, especially with NO experience running a team.

If people here choose not to believe this (99% won't I'm sure) then that's there perogative. I trust the source I heard it from and will stand by what I said earlier. This is not me trying to play NHL insider. This is not me trying to troll CDC. It's just me relaying my opinion based on my own observation of what I saw today in the presser plus (more importantly) the observation of others who know him personally in the business world.

Even without hearing about what I did I wasn't blown away by Linden, not to mention very unimpressed with Aquilini when they were speaking at the presser. What they were saying seemed like a lot of hot air. Linden has never been in the front office of an NHL team so I'm surprised he recieved such a high role. If he is meant to be a puppet that doesn't really concern me. This move reeks of PR but listening to FAq and Trevor speak I dont know what to believe.

And if through his connections and network he can bring in (or retain) a top flight assistant GM who has paid his dues and learned the ropes on a top notch staff I will be happy. As for the timing of the GM hire, people can talk about how we have a scouting team/ other personel still in place but ultimately the pick falls on the shoulders of the GM. When MG first came in CoHo was the first stamp he put on the team and one of the few significant moves that marked his legacy with us. I think the more time a GM has to get familiarized with the big board as well as our expendable assets the better off he will be starting his tenure here.

I love this team and I hope everything works out. I believe the team as it is now could come back strong next season with a good signing or two and a blue chip prospect in the jrs. I just really hope that our owner doesn't drive this team into the ground by hiring an inept president as a PR stunt. And I hope to God that they hire a good GM.

That's because he hasn't had to do any heavy lifting yet. Wait until they interview him again this summer.

I'm glad Trevor was signed as President. The one concern I have is the effect this position might have on him.

I'd hate to see him -- after four or five years of dealing with the fans, the owners and the team in this city -- weighing 250 lbs, smoking, alcoholic, watching the Canucks lose another game as the fans chant: "Fire Lin-Den Fire Lin-Den".

But best of luck, Trevor.

I can't believe that the Province is already slagging Trevor freakin Linden. One of the most popular guys in British Columbia, and he gets less than a day on the job before they publish an anonymous editorial calling him a liar. Why? Because he didn't confirm his position to some random reporter the day before the introductory press conference! What a bunch of freaking jokers over there, if I still lived in Van I would go down there and give them a piece of my mind. Those scum would write a hit piece on their own mothers if it got a couple of pageviews, the best thing the Canucks organization could do would be to refuse any and all comment to any Province employee. Hit em where it hurts!

Finally something to be excited about. TL is going to be really good. Great heart, hockey sense and well respected. I was sooooo pissed when they traded him. Another jersey should have never touched him. A '94 hero and man did he elevate his game for that. Sedins better start taking notes maybe have a few sit downs with TL.

Trevor Linden... is the Gentlemen that will make the final call, as in wether we move on from this season.... and go for a stanley cup... OR full out Rebuild. He's the guy that will make the decision.

Biggest turning point of the teams Franchice. A lot of the core members of the 2011 are still around, it's going to be a touch decision for him for his next 7 weeks.

I believe he wants the team to go for the Cup this season

We have Santorelli and the Sedins and others :)

I can't believe that the Province is already slagging Trevor freakin Linden. One of the most popular guys in British Columbia, and he gets less than a day on the job before they publish an anonymous editorial calling him a liar. Why? Because he didn't confirm his position to some random reporter the day before the introductory press conference! What a bunch of freaking jokers over there, if I still lived in Van I would go down there and give them a piece of my mind. Those scum would write a hit piece on their own mothers if it got a couple of pageviews, the best thing the Canucks organization could do would be to refuse any and all comment to any Province employee. Hit em where it hurts!

Still technically a liar though.

I hope this hiring doesn't change the fact that Kesler still needs to be traded, in the off-season for younger pieces. We're a better team without him in the long run and I hope Trevor realizes this.

Kesler has to stay I know everyone has personal opinion but the Canucks without Kesler is like being a Calgary or Edmonton team. We need Kesler. He once said "i started a Canuck, I want to retire as a Canuck" that answers your question and. Clearly states that he wants to be here

It's called discretion. It's the better part of valour.

Nobody in the media should criticize that. They are hardly in a place to cast stones.

If the media was trustworthy he might have been able to get them to accept a non-answer without publishing the story. Unfortunately, misdirection is required when multimillion dollar business are in the public eye.

It's common sense, really.

Finally something to be excited about. TL is going to be really good. Great heart, hockey sense and well respected. I was sooooo pissed when they traded him. Another jersey should have never touched him. A '94 hero and man did he elevate his game for that. Sedins better start taking notes maybe have a few sit downs with TL.

Same here I'm planning on buying a Linden jersey myself since this has been the most exciting news all season long :);)

It's called discretion. It's the better part of valour.

Nobody in the media should criticize that. They are hardly in a place to cast stones.

If the media was trustworthy he might have been able to get them to accept a non-answer without publishing the story. Unfortunately, misdirection is required when multimillion dollar business are in the public eye.

It's common sense, really.

So it's just discretion...

Media these days are not trustworthy

Just there for entertainment

Archived