The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New image, new identity... New jerseys?

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is why we can't get a winning culture. People can't even agree on a damn jersey.

Disco downhill skate. Really makes a great statement of a team going downhill, just what we want to promote.

Flying V? Only place it's flying to is the garbage heap.

Just leave it like it is, if you want change, that's what the third jersey is for.

Our constant changing logos and jerseys are a punchline on an ongoing joke.

Do you see the Yankee's changing their uniform? No.

Blackhawks? Again No.

Leafs, Bruins, Rangers, Canadiens?

NO.

+1 keep it the same, We got bigger problems than jerseys....

Merchandising and branding costs a lot of money. What the Canucks need to focus on is their on-ice identity and their work ethic and their motivation. That should not be impacted by what they are wearing. The committment to playing good hockey has to come from within.

From a business standpoint, I don't think it would be wise either. The team is coming off a terrible season, ticket renewals are down, and fans are going to need convincing that this team isn't entering into a period of major decline. It would be unwise to spend millions on re-branding and then expect that the fans will pay for new jerseys, tshirts, etc.

I personally wouldn't spend a single penny on Canucks merchandise until I see at least their work ethic and attitude improve. I'm not saying they need to win a Cup for me to support them again. I get that they're not elite anymore and the next few years will be tough. But I'd like to see them at least try to be competitive in every game. If they do that they have my support, but probably still not a portion of my paycheques!

Oh my god no thank you I am not supporting another jersey change the Orca is a great logo and the blue/green is a good unique combination now we just need to grow the brand and you do that by not changing the freaking logo or jersey every 7 years.

Merchandising and branding costs a lot of money. What the Canucks need to focus on is their on-ice identity and their work ethic and their motivation. That should not be impacted by what they are wearing. The committment to playing good hockey has to come from within.

From a business standpoint, I don't think it would be wise either. The team is coming off a terrible season, ticket renewals are down, and fans are going to need convincing that this team isn't entering into a period of major decline. It would be unwise to spend millions on re-branding and then expect that the fans will pay for new jerseys, tshirts, etc.

I personally wouldn't spend a single penny on Canucks merchandise until I see at least their work ethic and attitude improve. I'm not saying they need to win a Cup for me to support them again. I get that they're not elite anymore and the next few years will be tough. But I'd like to see them at least try to be competitive in every game. If they do that they have my support, but probably still not a portion of my paycheques!

Am I reading you right, Hockeyville88? You're not supporting the Canucks until they demonstrate a higher work ethic and improved attitude? Based on your posts during the past season, you've always come across as someone who backed the boys no matter what (albeit it wasn't in the blind/pom-pom waving variety)...or do you mean that you'll still support the Canucks but are not willing to spend any do-ray-me on anything Canucks until such time they has shown consistent effort?

I haven't supported the Canucks with my paycheques since the end of 2011-2012 season when I cancelled our season tix when it looked like there was going to be a work stoppage (though the truth be told, the real reason for cancelling was my wife wanted to move from our Coopers Lookout condo which was three blocks away from Rogers Arena to White Rock...and you know, what the wives want, they usually get...happy wife, happy life). I like to think I still support the Canucks, though it's not in a financial way.

Am I reading you right, Hockeyville88? You're not supporting the Canucks until they demonstrate a higher work ethic and improved attitude? Based on your posts during the past season, you've always come across as someone who backed the boys no matter what (albeit it wasn't in the blind/pom-pom waving variety)...or do you mean that you'll still support the Canucks but are not willing to spend any do-ray-me on anything Canucks until such time they has shown consistent effort?

I haven't supported the Canucks with my paycheques since the end of 2011-2012 season when I cancelled our season tix when it looked like there was going to be a work stoppage (though the truth be told, the real reason for cancelling was my wife wanted to move from our Coopers Lookout condo which was three blocks away from Rogers Arena to White Rock...and you know, what the wives want, they usually get...happy wife, happy life). I like to think I still support the Canucks, though it's not in a financial way.

Truth be told, I'm having a bit of a hockey fan identity crisis. Most people on here know that I'm an avid supporter of women's hockey. I know many of the players, have had the pleasure of working with a few of them, and I also spend part of my time working in the field of women's hockey growth and development.

During the course of my interactions with these ladies (most of whom were on the Sochi gold medal winning team), one thing that is apparent to me is that they are obviously not in it for the money...because they ain't getting paid! I'm not complaining about this - I understand that in order to make money you have to be able to generate revenue, and outside of the olympics, women's hockey isn't there yet. But my point is, that these women are full time athletes and they train like pros despite not being paid like that.

What I saw with the Canucks last season was that they stopped trying. We have a lot of players on some hefty contracts right now. That money gets paid to them no matter how they perform. And a majority of our team didn't earn their keep last season. That is disappointing to me when I compare them to the women who don't get paid but still never stray from their work ethic.

It might not be entirely the Canucks players' faults though. Torts sounds like he was awful to play for and Gillis seemed to have lost the attention of the players. Our team has done very well in the past 10 years or so and maybe they were just having an off year where the chemistries with the new coach weren't quite clicking. I'm interested to see how they respond to Linden, Benning, and whomever the new coach is.

I understand that they might not be elite anymore and that a push for a Cup or even a playoff spot is going to be extremely tough. But I'd like to see the effort be there. The Flames (yes, I'm praising the Flames...this is so sad) are an example of a team that isn't in the hunt for a Cup either. But they outworked every team they played last season, especially in the 2nd half of the season. They didn't make it easy to take 2 points from them and they certainly didn't lie down and let teams steal points from them.

To me it seemed like we had no fight last year. I can't support a team full of millionaires who don't even want to work for those millions. If I see the spirit of Canucks hockey return to this team, my heart is all theirs. But they have some winning back the fans to do for sure. I will always be a Canucks fan. That will never change. But being a casual fan is very different from caring about the players and the team. Right now I'm a fan but I don't care a whole lot about the team or their outcomes. I don't look at them as role models. I wouldn't say to my kid - "hey you should model yourself after that player." I'd like that to return next season.

no .. they are the seahawks colours

Actually, the Seahawks jerseys essentially went all blue from like 2005-2009, where they didn't really utilize the green whatsoever until they brought back the green in 09 with their alternates (nothing similar), and used no more than a simple green stripe before then besides their jerseys they wore from 1976 - 2001; and as I said, didn't really return to the green/blue scheme until after 09-10.

Also notice, the Seahawks were founded in 1976, and Vancouver 1970. Do you even remember our original colors? Give your head a shake.

1970-1978: before the Seahawks were even formed.

Canucks01.png

Truth be told, I'm having a bit of a hockey fan identity crisis. Most people on here know that I'm an avid supporter of women's hockey. I know many of the players, have had the pleasure of working with a few of them, and I also spend part of my time working in the field of women's hockey growth and development.

During the course of my interactions with these ladies (most of whom were on the Sochi gold medal winning team), one thing that is apparent to me is that they are obviously not in it for the money...because they ain't getting paid! I'm not complaining about this - I understand that in order to make money you have to be able to generate revenue, and outside of the olympics, women's hockey isn't there yet. But my point is, that these women are full time athletes and they train like pros despite not being paid like that.

What I saw with the Canucks last season was that they stopped trying. We have a lot of players on some hefty contracts right now. That money gets paid to them no matter how they perform. And a majority of our team didn't earn their keep last season. That is disappointing to me when I compare them to the women who don't get paid but still never stray from their work ethic.

It might not be entirely the Canucks players' faults though. Torts sounds like he was awful to play for and Gillis seemed to have lost the attention of the players. Our team has done very well in the past 10 years or so and maybe they were just having an off year where the chemistries with the new coach weren't quite clicking. I'm interested to see how they respond to Linden, Benning, and whomever the new coach is.

I understand that they might not be elite anymore and that a push for a Cup or even a playoff spot is going to be extremely tough. But I'd like to see the effort be there. The Flames (yes, I'm praising the Flames...this is so sad) are an example of a team that isn't in the hunt for a Cup either. But they outworked every team they played last season, especially in the 2nd half of the season. They didn't make it easy to take 2 points from them and they certainly didn't lie down and let teams steal points from them.

To me it seemed like we had no fight last year. I can't support a team full of millionaires who don't even want to work for those millions. If I see the spirit of Canucks hockey return to this team, my heart is all theirs. But they have some winning back the fans to do for sure. I will always be a Canucks fan. That will never change. But being a casual fan is very different from caring about the players and the team. Right now I'm a fan but I don't care a whole lot about the team or their outcomes. I don't look at them as role models. I wouldn't say to my kid - "hey you should model yourself after that player." I'd like that to return next season.

I get where you are coming from, hockeyville88. Sounds like you have the privilege of being associated with hockey purists, and I'm sure that gives you a whole different perspective and understanding of the true meaning of the phrase "the love of the game". I am really envious of that, because I haven't had that feeling about hockey since I was fifteen years old.

I'm hopeful that TL/JB and the new coaching staff will re-invigorate the franchise that we've all come to be loyal to (at least in spirit, since I haven't spent a dime to support the Canucks over the past two years).

One of the truths in life and sports was articulated by Julius Campbell in my favorite sports movie of all time, Remember the Titans..."attitude reflects leadership". It was pretty clear to me that the Canucks lost their way...all the way from Gillis, to Tortorella to the players. I hope TL/JB are able to provide that leadership to turn this team around.

Good lord...a Canuck is not a fish. Johnny Canuck is a logger and there is nothing more BC than that. They should have killed the stupid whale years ago...it can't happen soon enough for me.

The killer whale is a mammal...and the apex hunter of the ocean...far and above the great white shark that gets all the love for being the top hunter of the sea.

IMO, the orca "C" breaking out of the ice is an awesome logo. I like the ocean blue, but think a darker forest/hunter green would be more pac-nor-west-like, and maybe add a more prominent first-nations feel with embossing or watermarking within the orca-c. And get rid of the VANCOUVER running across the top.

The killer whale is a mammal...and the apex hunter of the ocean...far and above the great white shark that gets all the love for being the top hunter of the sea.

IMO, the orca "C" breaking out of the ice is an awesome logo. I like the ocean blue, but think a darker forest/hunter green would be more pac-nor-west-like, and maybe add a more prominent first-nations feel with embossing or watermarking within the orca-c. And get rid of the VANCOUVER running across the top.

The Orca already looks "first nations-y" enough. And while the Haida art style is unique and wonderful, it doesn't work as a hockey logo. Its too busy. A good logo is simple, clean and stands the test of time. The orca does not. On top of not making any sense "We're the Canucks, so lets obviously put a whale on our jerseys"(Yes I understand Orcas represent BC. So do half a hundred other things) It has too much detail. It has too many extraneous lines, the colours are horribly balanced, and because of the stupid concept (an orca in the haida art style breaking out of ice that is cut out of the field of view to form a 'c') its equilibrium is messed up. It wants to convey motion yet the 'C' shape throws it off. It looks horribly dated and doesn't look like a classic logo the team can grow with. It looks like it belongs to a Junior B Lacrosse team called the 'Canuxx' that folded after its only season in 1998.

The Orca already looks "first nations-y" enough. And while the Haida art style is unique and wonderful, it doesn't work as a hockey logo. Its too busy. A good logo is simple, clean and stands the test of time. The orca does not. On top of not making any sense "We're the Canucks, so lets obviously put a whale on our jerseys"(Yes I understand Orcas represent BC. So do half a hundred other things) It has too much detail. It has too many extraneous lines, the colours are horribly balanced, and because of the stupid concept (an orca in the haida art style breaking out of ice that is cut out of the field of view to form a 'c') its equilibrium is messed up. It wants to convey motion yet the 'C' shape throws it off. It looks horribly dated and doesn't look like a classic logo the team can grow with. It looks like it belongs to a Junior B Lacrosse team called the 'Canuxx' that folded after its only season in 1998.

I disagree 100% our logo will stand the test of time, how the hell is it too busy? Its one of the top 5 in this league IMO

Hows any of our logos supposed to stand the test if time if we keep changing it? This franchise has an identity crisis, we need to stick with what we have got.

Somebody should tell Chicago their logo is "to busy" to be a hockey logo and won't "stand the test of time". You think our Orca is to busy? Theirs is a colorful kaleidoscope compared to ours.

Blackhawks_zpse86f58f8.jpg

Btw, our logo is the opposite of Calgary's. Where theirs is a 'C' for Calgary styled on fire for Flames. Ours is a 'C' for Canucks stylized as an Orca to represent Vancouver. I'd take the logo that reps where the team plays over a fictional eastern created political cartoon character anytime. Now cartoon characters are definitely junior B imo.

Also it was in the EAST that the term Canuck was used in reference French Canadians in the logging industry. In the Pacific northwest it was used in reference to French and Hawaiians working the fur trade. Now that's a logo I'd like to see - a large Hawaiian in fur coat and coon cap holding a hockey stick. Somebody artsy should get on that.

Or maybe just stick with the Orca.

Archived