The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New image, new identity... New jerseys?

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Win Lose Tie... We need to stick with one brand... Enough of this ______ era stuff. All teams with culture and history don't change their whole appearance with new coach/management. Lets stick to what we have and build a brand and culture around it. How awesome is it watching games in Calgary where you see everyone wearing red... In Vancouver we have every color under the sun in the stands... lets gets a Sea of Blue..

I have always been a fan of one clear symbol on the front of the jersey, nice and simple. Montreal, Botson, Chicago, LA have this down pat. Lets make the stick in the rink jersey our regular one, with a nice white home jersey. They can do whatever they want in terms of the alternate jersey.

I have always been a fan of one clear symbol on the front of the jersey, nice and simple. Montreal, Botson, Chicago, LA have this down pat. Lets make the stick in the rink jersey our regular one, with a nice white home jersey. They can do whatever they want in terms of the alternate jersey.

they can't have a white home jersey.

they can't have a white home jersey.

Sorry, I should have clarified it by saying I wish they could have a home white jersey! lol.

I am mixed on re-branding. Good arguements on both sides, however I think a jersey change maybe sybolic of hope and change, and if the next few years are rough ones for us Canuck fans, maybe a new jersey would at least be something.

The Orca already looks "first nations-y" enough. And while the Haida art style is unique and wonderful, it doesn't work as a hockey logo. Its too busy. A good logo is simple, clean and stands the test of time. The orca does not. On top of not making any sense "We're the Canucks, so lets obviously put a whale on our jerseys"(Yes I understand Orcas represent BC. So do half a hundred other things) It has too much detail. It has too many extraneous lines, the colours are horribly balanced, and because of the stupid concept (an orca in the haida art style breaking out of ice that is cut out of the field of view to form a 'c') its equilibrium is messed up. It wants to convey motion yet the 'C' shape throws it off. It looks horribly dated and doesn't look like a classic logo the team can grow with. It looks like it belongs to a Junior B Lacrosse team called the 'Canuxx' that folded after its only season in 1998.

Appreciate your opinion, Bitter, but I would have disagree with you. Again, these are only my opinions, so take it for what it's worth...

The Orca works for a number of reasons - (1) indigenous to the pacific northwest; (2) apex predator of the ocean; (3) they function as a team, communicate with each other, they can hunt their prey with intelligence or brutal physical dominance (sort of the traits I would want in the Canucks hockey team). Sure there's hundreds of other things that can represent the west coast and BC, but I think the Orca represents everything that we want the Canucks to be. Eagle, grizzly, cougar are some of the other animals of the region, but all three are already used by the Caps, Bruins, Panthers (different cat, but you know what I mean), respectively. Other representations? Lumberjack? Trees? Mining? Mountains? Ocean? Can some rendition of these be symbolic of what we want the team to be as well as the Orca?

I personally don't think the logo is too busy or out of balance. I actually see it as a clever combination of the letter "C" and the majestic motion of the Orca in the wild. I would actually like to see the subtle embossing or watermarking of more first nations imagery in the same colors of the logo right on the logo (not like the shiny leaf or stars of the Olympic unis, but as as I say, the subtle underlay of the logo itself). I'd actually like to see it little larger (15% larger) and to see the "Vancouver" removed...IMO the "Vancouver" makes the entire logo look busy and is an unnecessary element to the logo.

Lastly, I'd like to see silver added into the color mix...not in a prominent way, but to add definition and additional structure to the logo.

Not saying that you're endorsing it, but IMO, the Johnny Canuck logo is more in line with a junior B or lacrosse style logo.

I personally like the Orca and believe it is iconic and will stand the test of time. Just my 2 cents worth.

Canucks-2.png

Would be a way to generate money for the owners...

I like these ones! I am in favor of a new look... Out with the old!

Not a fan of the dumb orca on our current ones... Plus the color doesn't even match, it's some random dark blue. Also, maybe it's just me but the lines on the socks bug me too as they're different from the stripes on the jersey. Just looks janky.

Appreciate your opinion, Bitter, but I would have disagree with you. Again, these are only my opinions, so take it for what it's worth...

The Orca works for a number of reasons - (1) indigenous to the pacific northwest; (2) apex predator of the ocean; (3) they function as a team, communicate with each other, they can hunt their prey with intelligence or brutal physical dominance (sort of the traits I would want in the Canucks hockey team). Sure there's hundreds of other things that can represent the west coast and BC, but I think the Orca represents everything that we want the Canucks to be. Eagle, grizzly, cougar are some of the other animals of the region, but all three are already used by the Caps, Bruins, Panthers (different cat, but you know what I mean), respectively. Other representations? Lumberjack? Trees? Mining? Mountains? Ocean? Can some rendition of these be symbolic of what we want the team to be as well as the Orca?

I personally don't think the logo is too busy or out of balance. I actually see it as a clever combination of the letter "C" and the majestic motion of the Orca in the wild. I would actually like to see the subtle embossing or watermarking of more first nations imagery in the same colors of the logo right on the logo (not like the shiny leaf or stars of the Olympic unis, but as as I say, the subtle underlay of the logo itself). I'd actually like to see it little larger (15% larger) and to see the "Vancouver" removed...IMO the "Vancouver" makes the entire logo look busy and is an unnecessary element to the logo.

Lastly, I'd like to see silver added into the color mix...not in a prominent way, but to add definition and additional structure to the logo.

Not saying that you're endorsing it, but IMO, the Johnny Canuck logo is more in line with a junior B or lacrosse style logo.

I personally like the Orca and believe it is iconic and will stand the test of time. Just my 2 cents worth.

very well said, the orca will be an Iconic logo we just have to stick with it. Its a beautiful logo.

I dont agree with adding additional subtle underlay of native art though, it needs to be left as is.

Truth be told, I'm having a bit of a hockey fan identity crisis. Most people on here know that I'm an avid supporter of women's hockey. I know many of the players, have had the pleasure of working with a few of them, and I also spend part of my time working in the field of women's hockey growth and development.

During the course of my interactions with these ladies (most of whom were on the Sochi gold medal winning team), one thing that is apparent to me is that they are obviously not in it for the money...because they ain't getting paid! I'm not complaining about this - I understand that in order to make money you have to be able to generate revenue, and outside of the olympics, women's hockey isn't there yet. But my point is, that these women are full time athletes and they train like pros despite not being paid like that.

What I saw with the Canucks last season was that they stopped trying. We have a lot of players on some hefty contracts right now. That money gets paid to them no matter how they perform. And a majority of our team didn't earn their keep last season. That is disappointing to me when I compare them to the women who don't get paid but still never stray from their work ethic.

It might not be entirely the Canucks players' faults though. Torts sounds like he was awful to play for and Gillis seemed to have lost the attention of the players. Our team has done very well in the past 10 years or so and maybe they were just having an off year where the chemistries with the new coach weren't quite clicking. I'm interested to see how they respond to Linden, Benning, and whomever the new coach is.

I understand that they might not be elite anymore and that a push for a Cup or even a playoff spot is going to be extremely tough. But I'd like to see the effort be there. The Flames (yes, I'm praising the Flames...this is so sad) are an example of a team that isn't in the hunt for a Cup either. But they outworked every team they played last season, especially in the 2nd half of the season. They didn't make it easy to take 2 points from them and they certainly didn't lie down and let teams steal points from them.

To me it seemed like we had no fight last year. I can't support a team full of millionaires who don't even want to work for those millions. If I see the spirit of Canucks hockey return to this team, my heart is all theirs. But they have some winning back the fans to do for sure. I will always be a Canucks fan. That will never change. But being a casual fan is very different from caring about the players and the team. Right now I'm a fan but I don't care a whole lot about the team or their outcomes. I don't look at them as role models. I wouldn't say to my kid - "hey you should model yourself after that player." I'd like that to return next season.

Words of a bandwagoner....

... KIDDING!

Canucks-2.png

Would be a way to generate money for the owners...

Please god no. This would be a disaster.

No one will understand the reference:

I can guarantee you that to everyone outside the Canuck sphere of influence, this is a completely unknown cartoon character who happens to have a touque, facial hair, and somewhat menacing expression.

Everyone will laugh at us:

Who the hell is this? Is he seriously RUNNING with skates on? I havent seen anything this hilarious since the Islander dude with the raincoat and the Mighty Duck exploding through the ice.

Im sorry, but this is basically what we will have to deal with if we hitch our trailer to the Johnny Canuck logo design.

While my favourite uniforms were the flying skate from the 90s, I realize that's mostly due to positive memory association with the 1994 Cup final. That said, I think the uniforms that best reflect the West Coast are the original stick-in-rink design and colours (not the redesign they use now) and if they're going to change anything, my vote would go to going full-time retro.

I wish there were a way to determine the demographic breakdown of this poll. I have a sneaking suspicion that those who want a brand new logo/uniform are younger fans. Just to be clear: that's not any kind of negative judgement, BTW.

I realize that Vancouver is a Beautiful City surrounded by Sea and Trees, but ditch the soft looking green and BLue colors...

I love the SKate color scheme, and the stick and Rink logo...Combine the 2 for a winning Jersey

That's incredibly stupid. The team will play better because they're wearing more aggressive colours? That's exactly the reasoning that got out beautiful blue and green ditched for those Flying V monstrosities in the first place.

Archived