The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Botterill

JASON BOTTERILL

Assistant General Manager

Jason Botterill is in his fifth full season as assistant general manager after being promoted to his current position in May, 2009, by GM Ray Shero.

As assistant GM, Botterill works closely with Shero on all hockey-related matters, including scouting, player development and contract negotiations. He also manages hockey operations and acts as GM for the club’s top minor-league affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

Prior to his promotion, Botterill, 37, worked two seasons as director of hockey administration with the Penguins; his responsibilities included salary cap management, professional and amateur scouting and overseeing prospect development. His avant-garde approach and understanding of the salary cap has been a major asset for the Penguins.

Before joining the Pittsburgh organization, Botterill worked with NHL Central Registry and also scouted for the Dallas Stars.

Botterill was a first-round draft pick (20th overall) by Dallas in the 1994 NHL Draft and played 88 NHL games over six seasons with Dallas, Atlanta, Calgary and Buffalo. He also played 393 career games in the AHL and IHL, recording 127 goals and 257 points.

A native of Edmonton who grew up in Winnipeg, Botterill played four seasons at the University of Michigan and helped lead the Wolverines to the NCAA title in 1996. He also played for Team Canada at the World Junior Championships in 1994, ‘95 and ‘96 and won gold medals in all three tournaments.

Following his playing career, he returned to the University of Michigan to earn his MBA.

Jason and his wife, Andrea, and their daughter Alisa reside in Pittsburgh.

Quite a resume.

How did Gillis get a GM gig without any scouting,coaching,player development or assessment abilities?

Quite a resume.

How did Gillis get a GM gig without any scouting,coaching,player development or assessment abilities?

Negotiating abilities during his time as a player agent. Kesler at 5m and the Sedins at 6.1M who were art ross winners made him look godlike don't you agree?

I like what I'm hearing about his drafting, because in this cap era it's important to be able to pick out good young talent that fits the team's mold. As long as Benning can have a definite vision for the team (like Nill in Dallas) then I'd be glad to see him take the reins and bring that vision to reality in the near future.

agreed, don't want him at all

much rather have Ladd

I would love to see Benning/Botterill/Briesbois or whoever our GM is gonna be pry Scott Kosmachuk from the Jets. 2nd round pick who absolutely lit up the OHL this year.

EDIT: He was a 3rd rounder, which makes it all the more impressive. The Jets have been drafting excellently since they moved to Winnipeg.

Why would the Jets want Horvat? Scheifele and Little are their top two centres, and I see them re-signing Jokinen as he's been a great fit there to be their 3rd line centre. I just find Horvat to be a little redundant to them.

Horvat isn't redundant for 30 teams

Would love

Benning as GM

Keep Gilman as a Asst/Cap guro. And with Linden as Prez, our top level management would be golden...hopefully

Possibly even bring in Bob Nicholson in some kind of role as well as keep Stan Smyl but maybe as head of scouting dep. on who we hire

Kesler at 5m and the Sedins at 6.1M who were art ross winners made him look godlike don't you agree?

God isn't unemployed.

Kesler and the twins signing for far less than market value for their club and mates is very admirable.

i'd love some background info on other potential candidates. the OP's version of benning's resume has me quite fired up. he's exactly what this team needs in such a bad way. i remember looking back at the gillis hiring wondering if his prior job might keep him out of "the club". if the big boys aren't in your contacts folder it must make making deals and other transactions much harder. the gm position should be a roster coaching based position pure and simple. let someone else deal with merchandise and tv and all the other crap and bring this team a pure hockey man to run the show.

Quite a resume.

oops. missed the Botterill resume post at the top of the page. impressive.

totally agree. i wonder how Gillis' resume would look compared to Botterill's and Benning's. i really feel that having come up through the ranks of a club is an important asset to have. kind of makes me a little worried for Trev. sure hope this works.

oops. missed the Botterill resume post at the top of the page. impressive.

totally agree. i wonder how Gillis' resume would look compared to Botterill's and Benning's. i really feel that having come up through the ranks of a club is an important asset to have. kind of makes me a little worried for Trev. sure hope this works.

That's why he will be looking to surround himself with people who have much more experience than him. All Linden needs is a vision, and to hire the right people that he thinks can implement it.

An off-topic analogy follows, but it is nonetheless relevant. Back when Schwarzenegger was first elected governor of California one of his new staffers came in with this big initiative that would help to ease part of the California energy problem/crisis.

Arnold said he liked it to which the staffer replied "Well, it looks like you have a lot of work to do on this"

Arnold calmly says " No, you do".

The point is, I think that Linden can be very successful as President, provided that surrounds himself with very intelligent hockey people who are already intrenched in the management aspect.

With Bostons 4.5m cap penalty next year, Lucic being a fan of Linden, and Jim Benning possibly coming to Vancouver, can we expect a Lucic to Vancouver trade?????

Probably not.

"but one can only dream"

-Pears/Derek Roy/Steven stamkos mullet

Doubt Lucic would bite on a trade to Vancouver, his recent visits back home has been atrocious- getting sucker punched numerous times downtown and having things thrown at him. He openly said that he doesn't like Vancouver anymore.

Horvat is redundant to the Jets. They have two young centres in Little and Scheifele so there's no place for Horvat in their top 6.

Horvat (as I'm sure Little and Scheifele can as well) can also play wing. Merci's right, Horvat wouldn't be redundant on ANY team.

They'd either simply have more depth or the ability to move a lesser player. Any NHL team would gladly take him off our hands.

Archived