The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

President - Linden

GM - Benning

AGM - Gilman

Coach - Tortorella / if fired Laviolette ?

I say Neidermayer for coach. The guy is an excellent teacher, developed the young Anaheim players into what they are today, helping put them back on top. Also a BC boy and one of the greatest winners of all time.

I like Benning along with Fenton (Nashville), Botterill (Pittsburgh) and Brisebois (Tampa).

Overall I agree that this time we need someone with a healthy dose of NHL experience at the management level.

I don't think it's likely but if Feaster or someone similar is hired I may need to take a Canuck break for a few years. I know the idea is to support your club through thick and thin, but my soul has a limit to how much bull it can be fed.

IMHO, Joe Will (SJS) and David McNab (Ana) should be added to that list.

Having Western Conference experience would be nice. So would taking a top exec from a divisional opponent.

Linden keeps talking about Boston. Must be on his mind....

More like the Aquilinis still trying to win the 2011 Cup. If they're going to continue to interfere, this team is going to continue to be a mess.

I like Benning along with Fenton (Nashville), Botterill (Pittsburgh) and Brisebois (Tampa).

Overall I agree that this time we need someone with a healthy dose of NHL experience at the management level.

I don't think it's likely but if Feaster or someone similar is hired I may need to take a Canuck break for a few years. I know the idea is to support your club through thick and thin, but my soul has a limit to how much bull it can be fed.

Had dinner with a friend from Calgary last night who's an avid hockey fan. He said we could have Feaster for a bag of pucks.

I say Neidermayer for coach. The guy is an excellent teacher, developed the young Anaheim players into what they are today, helping put them back on top. Also a BC boy and one of the greatest winners of all time.

I believe Neidermayer is already working for the Ducks.

I have to think Benning is high on the list as Linden has stated he wants a hands on role. That might

not be well received by potential applicants as it could evolve into a problem. I assume that since

Benning already knows Linden he might be less reluctant to work along with him. Benning does not have a

GM future in Boston in the near future. I love his scouting background as scouting is a hugh weakness

in Vancouver.

As long as Carolina comes through or the Canucks can lose one more Vancouver will draft #6. If there is

a pick higher that they absolutely want it puts them in striking distance to trade up. Unless Linden

acts quickly he will be drafting on recommendations of the existing team. Not necessarily a bad thing

as their picks last year look very good a year later.

News is slowly leaking out from reputable sources that the Canucks/Linden has indeed been speaking to Jim Benning, assistant GM of the Bruins for the vacant GM spot. Linden strictly said in his press conference he wanted someone with lots of experience to take the spot and someone who could help him settle in. Jim Benning has every bit of that, check it out:

Jim has worked his way up the ranks and knows just about everything in managing a team. After playing his last four NHL seasons for the Canucks from '86-'90, Benning officially retired one year later. He then quickly looked for positions on teams and was given the chance where he would then pave his own legacy. '93-'94 he was hired as an amateur scout for Anaheim. He soon-after joined as a scout with Buffalo from '94-'96 where he was then promoted as Director of Amateur Scouting from '96-'04. After taking a couple years off, he joined the Bruins in '06 for one year as Director of Player Personnel and was promoted as AGM from '07-now. ...as you can see, Benning has had a taste at almost all levels of management with nearly 20 years of organizational scouting-managing involvement, wisdom, understanding, and exposure.

He must have a lot of ties around the league being around so long and Trevor wanting experience to help him get settled in, this is the guy it seems. No coincidence the Bruins began building their current empire when Benning joined in '06 and he must have played huge dividends with that. In fact, the B's haven't missed the playoffs since acquiring Benning which is a crazy track record, Benning also has his name on Lord Stanley from 2011. Rumour also has it Aquilini wants the Canucks to play Bruins style hockey and what better way to do so then getting the guy responsible for creating it? It all adds up and with Trevor saying he'll likely have a GM announced early June, would make sense considering Benning will likely be with Bruins for a mid-long playoff run until they lose or potentially win the Cup. Gives enough time for Trev to talk to him and Benning to make the transition.

Linden was also a teammates of Benning's during his last season as a Canuck and like Linden, Jim is a Western Canadian born in Alberta. If there's anyone who can up Gillis for what he's done, I confidentially say it's Benning and hope we get him. His scouting and GMing experience is flawless and he's the man responsible for drafting Paul Kariya, Ryan Miller, Brian Campbell, Thomas Vanek, Milan Lucic and plenty of others.

that would be tampering wouldn't it... the season isn't over yet.

that would be tampering wouldn't it... the season isn't over yet.

Depends. I think protocol is to ask permission. That might have happened already.

Carolina beating Philly 3 - 1 end of 1st period. Hang in there Manny (scored the 3rd goal) and do your old team a favor. #6 pick is looking good!

@IanEsplen:

Reports out of #Vancouver are that the Canucks want #Boston #Bruins Ast. GM Jim Benning to be their next GM. Owner wants "Boston Model"

Just hope Aquaman doesn't translate Boston model being just goons and thugs. Have to realize they have tons of skill that match with their toughness that makes them so successful and hard to play against.

I still think this "copying Boston" thing is being overblown by the media.

Gee a team with a mix of size, grit, skill, speed and can put pucks in the net and keep them out of their own. Has Boston got a copyright on that? :rolleyes:

Like I said a couple pages ago:

Personally I think the "let's copy Boston" thing is being overblown in regards to Benning.

If he gets hired it's because he has 20 years experience, a cup, excellent drafting and contract record, was once a Canuck and Linden team mate and perhaps most importantly would be the ideal "yang" to Trevor's "ying". He has the exact things Trevor lacks (experience, contracts, "nuts and bolts" etc) and Trevor has the things he lacks (Personality, PR presence etc). They both have lots of hockey knowledge and would make an excellent team IMO.

That he happens to currently work for Boston is more a matter of coincidence IMO. He could currently be working for the 'Canes for all I care. Though I do like that his time in Boston has likely given him ties to the leagues power brokers. That could also help us out.

None of that has anything to do with "copying Boston" though. To me that's a very simplistic commentary.

^well the arguably do have a copyright of that and the best mix of it in the league. Thus why copying them would be a good thing : p

All teams are building towards that "model" though. Some have more skill, some have more size, some have more speed etc but the basic framework is the same regardless. You just fill in the gaps a bit differently depending on who you already have on your roster, who you draft, who you sign, your budget, your coaches, management etc, etc

It's not the "Boston model", it's the NHL model. Success on building it has many variables including quality management experience and player assessment. Two things Benning has in spades which is why he's likely on the top of the short list.

Again, the "copying the Boston model" line is a silly oversimplification of a very complex subject. I can already see it will be nauseously over-used in the media and regurgitated here. Right up there with lines like "country club" :rolleyes:

On a more serious note though:

#Linden interview on @GlobalBC, used words "big and powerful" to describe players #Canucks will be looking at. The #bostonmodel #jimbenning

^if that's the case, for the draft, don't assume Canucks draft a player under 5'11" with the 1st round pick. Players that are big and powerful that we can possibly get:

- Dal Colle (6'2", 175 lbs...will have to add more weight and fill in)

- Draisaitl (6'1", 209 lbs...reminds me of Kopitar)

- Virtanen (6'1", 210 lbs...BC boy)

On a more serious note though:

^if that's the case, for the draft, don't assume Canucks draft a player under 5'11" with the 1st round pick. Players that are big and powerful that we can possibly get:

- Dal Colle (6'2", 175 lbs...will have to add more weight and fill in)

- Draisaitl (6'1", 209 lbs...reminds me of Kopitar)

- Virtanen (6'1", 210 lbs...BC boy)

I'm leaning towards those guys but we'll see who gets picked ahead of us...

Archived