The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Seems to be trending Benning's way .. lets hope so, as he certainly has all the qualifications and pedigree ..

100% agree would be great fit

Also could help revamp our scouting system, improve it in areas we are week keep the parts that are strong

All I can say is this: We are so much better off having Linden look for a GM than the Aquilinis. Nothing against the Aquilinis, but they don't know hockey as well as people who have spent a lifetime in the business.

And we need more people who know hockey, who have actually drafted well - imagine if coho and schroeder were great players, playing on the 1st line this last year? Gillis - for all his talk and desire to do well in this area - just couldn't draft. When he got hired I was hoping that this would be the spark to gut the scouting team - cause it really lies on them. but no... cause he couldn't see anything wrong with what they had been doing. Hopefully Linden can... or his GM

Benning as GM is good, provided he's going to build a dominant puck possession team like Boston.

As an aside, if FAQ thinks Boston wins because of the post whistle goonery, he doesn't know frack all about hockey. I'm afraid that the post whistle bullying is exactly what Aquilani wants, forgetting that Boston wins because they are actually really skilled, they just have the size to not take crap from anyone.

Trade Garrison to Toronto for 2014 1st round pick (around 12th overall)

Trade 2014 1st round pick (8th overall) and Higgins to Buffalo for their 2014 first overall pick and 2015 second round pick

Trade Jensen, Hansen, Lack, 2015 1st round Pick to Winnipeg for Kane

Draft Sam Reinhart with 1st overall pick

Draft Haydn Fleury with 12th overall pick

Sign Matt Niskanen

Sign Mike Santorelli

Sign Halak

SEDIN SEDIN KANE

BURROWS HORVAT KESLER

BOOTH REINHART KASSIAN

MATTHIAS RICHARDSON SANTORELLI

HAMHUIS TANEV

EDLER NISKANEN

FLEURY BIEKSA

HALAK

MARKSTROM

Been saying that Benning would be an excellent choice ever since it was finalized that Gillis was gone. Either Benning or Gilman for GM and I would be happy, a combination of both would make me even happier.

Pres: Linden

GM: Jim Benning

AGM: Laurance Gillman

Senior Advisor: Pat Quinn

Coach: ???

this

With Bostons 4.5m cap penalty next year, Lucic being a fan of Linden, and Jim Benning possibly coming to Vancouver, can we expect a Lucic to Vancouver trade?????

Probably not.

"but one can only dream"

-Pears/Derek Roy/Steven stamkos mullet

I think Lucic would appear on an ESPN special with Jim Gray, and tell him, "This fall, I'm taking my talents (as UFA) to the Pacific Northwest and join the Vancouver Canucks."

I would love to play Bruins style hockey. Most people think they are just a big, and hitting team. They actually are well balanced and can play any style. They play with speed off the rush, with skilled players.

They can play 1-0, 2-1 defensive games, but also can play 4-3, 5-4 high scoring games. IMO this is key for the playoffs, being able to win all types of games.

I would rather play a Canucks style hockey, than emulate the Bruins (or anyone else). Emulation doesn't win, leading and setting your own style does.

What kind of style? Rebuild through the draft, shed old stars for new. Attract free agents

Don't have time to give a full lineup, but headlining this Canuck style hockey would be these guys:

Top line: Reinhart-McDavid-Jensen/Lucic

First pairing: Day-Hamhuis/Garrison

Starting goaltender: Price

Put this team against the Bruins, McDavid will (properly handled) zip right through them. Marhant can try beating him up (but he probably can't catch him). Chara couldn't stop him. Day and Price would lock them down.

Blackhawks? Canucks could match them tit-for-tat. McDavid is better than Kane, Day could outdo Keith or Seabrook. Price? Yeah, dare Crawford to outduel him.

I think it would be very very difficult to get Milan Lucic to join the Canucks. Both value wise in a trade and the Canucks actually wanting to bring him in with the way fans have treated him in the past. I know it doesn't make every Canuck fan an idiot because of some individuals but it would be very odd to see him in a canuck uniform ever in his career.

I think Lucic would appear on an ESPN special with Jim Gray, and tell him, "This fall, I'm taking my talents (as UFA) to the Pacific Northwest and join the Vancouver Canucks."

He actually had a feature on sportsnet in which he said that he wanted to play for the canucks after boston (but that was years ago)

No reason Gilman cant resume doing what he has already been doing. Benning is an awesome hire. Good to get a GM that is respected by his peers. Now we have more dance partners

Perhaps more dance partners, but their respect doesn't mean that they would be any more willing to present a reasonable return in any trade discussion.

regards,

G.

Archived