The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Of course the right choice needs to be made, but it's just as important to act swiftly before the music stops and you don't have a chair. Especially when you have an incompetent scouting staff and a draft rapidly approaching.

The last two years do not reflect incompetence in many 'experts' eyes .. care to point out the 'incompetent 20/20 hindsight picks' you WOULD have chosen?

Of course the right choice needs to be made, but it's just as important to act swiftly before the music stops and you don't have a chair. Especially when you have an incompetent scouting staff and a draft rapidly approaching.

Eric Crawford is not incompetent.

Deciphering the reports from his scouts, and interpreting their value based on his evaluation of their abilities, is the most important aspect.

There is absolutely no reason to need the new GM by the draft as delegation is very important in this type of management structure. It would be once to have one hired but it isn't paramount. The most important influence from the new GM will be the impact of the 6th pick, so they can steer the direction of the future roster, while the rest of the rounds will be mostly left up to the Head Scout.

Regardless, I still think we could have an announcement as soon as Tuesday.

The last two years do not reflect incompetence in many 'experts' eyes .. care to point out the 'incompetent 20/20 hindsight picks' you WOULD have chosen?

2012 draft was awful, 2013 and 2011 were okay but are flukes not the norm. We have the same scouts that blew the 2010, 2009, 2008, etc.. etc.. etc.. drafts.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008756.html

I don't really need to defend my statement, 10 years of picks that missed the broad side of a barn does it for me.

2012 draft was awful, 2013 and 2011 were okay but are flukes not the norm. We have the same scouts that blew the 2010, 2009, 2008, etc.. etc.. etc.. drafts.

I don't really need to defend my statement, 10 years of picks that missed the broad side of a barn does it for me.

Ben Hutton was not a bad pick. i didn't like the Mallet pick even at the time but we didn't have a 3rd or 4th round pick so the year might still wi8eld two NHL players. That's not awful.

Also, you do realize that the staff is not the same, nor in the same roles, using the same methodology for the last 1o years, correct? Things have changed considerably in the last two seasons.

What happened before is irrelevant to what happens this year when there are new people making the final decisions.

You were talking about 2 years originally, versus 10 years now .. 2012 was not great by any stretch, but as The Minister stated, changes have been made and 2013 proved that .. i believe 2014 will see equal gains made as we seem to have improved our 'process' and staff versus what Gillis inherited. Mallet was the only questionable pick in 2012 in my eyes. Gaunce and Hutton should make it to the 'game'.

Omg, everyone calm down. IF Canucks management don't have a GM in place by the draft, I am comfortable with linden making the pick, under the advisement of the scouts, you know he will do his DD if called upon.

As for benning, I wouldn't let him go before the draft either, if I was his current team.

You can also look at it this way. IF the Canucks are preparing to go to the draft without a GM, and IF Boston is withholding benning till after the draft. Then the signs can still concievably point to Benning becoming the new Canucks GM.

Ben Hutton was not a bad pick. i didn't like the Mallet pick even at the time but we didn't have a 3rd or 4th round pick so the year might still wi8eld two NHL players. That's not awful.

Also, you do realize that the staff is not the same, nor in the same roles, using the same methodology for the last 1o years, correct? Things have changed considerably in the last two seasons.

What happened before is irrelevant to what happens this year when there are new people making the final decisions.

What are these big changes? Delorme has been here since 1990, Chibisov 1994, Snepst 2006, Gradin 1994, Frank Kollar 2008, Brian Chapman 2008.

So they did the age old canucks scouting makeover and shuffled scouting positions by putting Eric Crawford in charge, big deal. Was anyone in charge held accountable and fired? No, Delorme, Chibisov, Gradin, and Snepsts are still here and in very important positions. This is a problem, with the exception of Gradin who has done some good work in Sweden.

I have a question hopefuly someone can answer

I thought scouts did alot of the looking into who the team will draft and that the GM impelements their findings? Im sure there is alot more to it then that but am i that far off?

The scouts give their opinion on the players. The senior scouts and head scout will take that info to the GM/Pres and make their recommendations. GM/Pres will make the picks based on the type of player they want. The entire system is based on the guy at the bottom of the scouting pole knowing what he is talking about.

What are these big changes? Delorme has been here since 1990, Chibisov 1994, Snepst 2006, Gradin 1994, Frank Kollar 2008, Brian Chapman 2008.

So they did the age old canucks scouting makeover and shuffled scouting positions by putting Eric Crawford in charge, big deal. Was anyone in charge held accountable and fired? No, Delorme, Chibisov, Gradin, and Snepsts are still here and in very important positions. This is a problem, with the exception of Gradin who has done some good work in Sweden.

It's hard to formulate any kind of reasonable defence of the Canucks draft record for the last 10 years. Delorme and Snepsts have been massive disappointments when it comes to CHL draft choices and the dub in particular. Even Gradin, who was a pretty good Swedish scout for us, was also our head of Euro scouting for the better part of a decade between 97-07, and I fail to remember the Canucks drafting many (any ?) successful non-Swedish players during that time either. Wouldn't break my heart to see a housecleaning take place in that department as well.

Well it kind of is a big deal.....Crawford makes the executive decision,not Delorme...He was calling the shots in the 2013 draft,and it was on his recommendation that they acquired Kassian,Stanton and Richardson....Snepst and Gradin are still scouts,and Im glad they are still part of the organization..

Well it kind of is a big deal.....Crawford makes the executive decision,not Delorme...He was calling the shots in the 2013 draft,and it was on his recommendation that they acquired Kassian,Stanton and Richardson....Snepst and Gradin are still scouts,and Im glad they are still part of the organization..

Right, but if the information Crawford is being given is sh*t then you can see the problem. I like Crawford, my issue is with the organizations inability to recognize 10 years of mostly dreadful scouting as grounds for termination. You cannot go to your job and 90% of the time accomplish nothing and say "hey, remember that one year I did good".

I wish for nothing more this offseason than for the new GM to come in, look at our draft history and absolutely clean house.

Everyone needs to calm down. Lol...

Linden is a Roman Catholic and wouldn't have dreamed of conducting a press conference today, and tomorrow is a holiday. Expect a press conference on Tuesday. :)

People all of a sudden think that Benning won't be hired up until after the draft just because he hasn't been hired yet? Why? What's the rush anyways...

Too many of you are over thinking. 4 days of Boston being out of the playoffs isn't a large enough sample size to make assumptions like "Benning's not interested" or "Benning would prefer Pittsburgh".

Even if he isn't hired in Tuesday (which I believe he will), there's no need for panic.

I know its stupid. Some of us who wer actualy paying atention said it had to be fast but after several days now its become obvious its over and now with reports bening is no longer interested in the offer. I would cry if linden seddles on mcphee would be a catastrophey

Oh the irony. It looks like you paid way more attention to this thread instead of your spelling lessons. Anyway, trust Trevor, he is going to take the time he needs to make the right decision. I still believe it's going to Benning though.

Archived