The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I don't give a rats patootie who else they bring in... (just so long as it's Trotz) :bigblush: but I really really want this guy for our strength and conditioning coach.

Coach_symposium_Whitesides%20talking%20t

Wonder what it would take to get John out of Boston. :lol:

I think every single one of the Canucks who have NTC clauses in their contract would waive their NTCs and look for a way OUTTA here.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=592163

Poor Fin...he'd be blowing steam out his blowhole.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+know+Canucks/9860757/story.html

First analysis from Botch man has him inviting the masses to criticize the Seguin deal. Second has him applauding his drafting record. Add both points to the stew and we should adopt the notion that in the event he drafts a stud then trades him, it will be great because it defines the undertaking of a bold move. You don't need to beat a lesser team like Montreal.

Meanwhile, Kane and the Blackhawks have won two Cups since 2010. But perhaps winning only one is good enough - screw momentum. And if the Blackhawks win it again this year even if Kane takes a sidetrip to the Roxy...?

Good article. Lots of character definition/history.

Scouting in the family and blood makes me feel comfortable having JB up front:

He is a scouting rink rat, a guy so addicted to assessing and projecting players that even in management Benning continued to attend many junior and college games.

He inherited the scouting chromosome from his father, Elmer, who at 73 has spent nearly four decades tracking amateur players in Alberta for the Montreal Canadiens.

“He’s very smart, very honest,” one scout said. “He knows who’s going to play and who isn’t. He knows what’s going on all the time. And don’t let that quietness fool you. He’s intense. When he walks on to the draft floor he looks like he’s ready to fight Mike Tyson.”

With Bostons 4.5m cap penalty next year, Lucic being a fan of Linden, and Jim Benning possibly coming to Vancouver, can we expect a Lucic to Vancouver trade?????

Probably not.

"but one can only dream"

-Pears/Derek Roy/Steven stamkos mullet

that would be awesome! imagine burrows marchand and lucic all on the the same team! canucks super pests!!!

Eriksson is a Selke quality forward at RW.

Smith is a young potential 30 goal scoring RW

Fraser has high-end 3rd line scorer/banger potential.

Morrow could be a LH top pairing d-man alongside Hamilton for a decade.

They got the equivalent of multiple 1st round picks and prospects. Not even close to the Thornton deal.

Boston needed to fit under the cap and maintain organizational depth and Seguin didn't fit into their plans, on or off the ice. Peverley, a 3rd line player, may never play again for all we know. Button is a spare part.

This is the exact framework of a type of deal the Canucks need. Boston will win this deal after 5 years looking back.

In simple terms, the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.

I'm sure it was a hard decision. Sure looked like they could have used Seguins speed against Montreal. And 90 point 21 year old centers with blistering speed don't come around every day.

We compared Eriksson as a Selke calibre forward. Seguin, with Marchand and Bergeron, last year was regarded by many as not just the best shut down line, but the best line in hockey by many... Boston is not better defensively due to the move. So far anyway. That's the key question in judging the winner?

In the context that they needed cap relief and depth it was a good decision. Boston did need a succession plan immediately at RW, and longer term at D as Chara's clock is ticking. And they did get a strong return. But at the end of the day, Iginla (whom room was created for with said move), Eriksson and Smith cost Boston more (in cap) than Seguin. And it appears they took a step backwards versus maintaining their championship level. Rock and a hard place though: could they have moved Krecji to make room for him? So its a respectable move.

It will still take guys like Smith and Morrow coming very close to their ceiling to call Boston a real winner.

Edit. It's also opposite spectrum to what we need. They traded their best young player, the last thing we need to do. Look at what having patience through immaturity with Subban did for Montreal.

Linden: President

Gilman: VP

Quinn: Senior Advisor Hockey Operations

Benning: GM

Stevens/Trotz: Coach

Somehow get Edler to waive NTC to Detroit for Mantha, Tatar, and 1st

Take Mantha, Gaunce, Tatar, Alberts, and two 1st round picks 2015 to Nashville

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Somehow get Hansen to waive NTC (why was he given one?), Yannick Weber, Shinkaruk, and Markstrom to Winnipeg

E. Kane to Vancouver

Somehow get Higgins and Garrison to waive their NTCs (why were they given them?), and Sestito to Boston

Lucic to Vancouver

Sign Halak

(take another swig)

Lucic - Kesler - Kane

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Kassian - Richardson- Booth

Horvat - Matthias - Burrows

Hamhuis- Weber

Tanev - Bieksa

Stanton - Corrado

Cederholm

Lack Halak

Run the league for years, briatch!

I like fantasy too. But I like the plot to be a bit more logical.

I actually liked that last Botchford article and im one of his detractors. I love the hire, and ill love it more if they acquire Trotz but Benning was wrong about Seguin. I didnt like the trade then and I still dont. Have to disagree with you on this one Minister.

I have a feeling that Seguin being traded had a lot to do with off-ice stuff.

Yeah thats well known but he was only 21 when he was traded im pretty sure... He got 84 points last year and it wasnt a massive surprise. He will probably be on team Canada next olympics. It wasnt as bad as the Thornton trade but it still wasnt good. Eriksson had concussion issues at the time and got another one on the Bruins and hasnt looked the same since. I like Benning, and he was who I wanted as GM but this is a black mark in my opinion.

I actually liked that last Botchford article and im one of his detractors. I love the hire, and ill love it more if they acquire Trotz but Benning was wrong about Seguin. I didnt like the trade then and I still dont. Have to disagree with you on this one Minister.

Everyone says that Benning is to blame for the Seguin trade, yet no one has proof that he's the one that pushed for the Dallas package.

He may have very well pushed for a better more attractive package, and if not he may have even pushed for better pieces in the Dallas one. Nobody knows.

Everyone says that Benning is to blame for the Seguin trade, yet no one has proof that he's the one that pushed for the Dallas package.

He may have very well pushed for a better more attractive package, and if not he may have even pushed for better pieces in the Dallas one. Nobody knows.

Well I love your movies but I disagree with you. It was pretty clear he was in favor of getting rid of him. "We are winners not babysitters" or something to that effect when he was asked by Chiarelli what he wanted to do with Seguin point blank.

You can't disagree with the Bruins trading Seguin. It was the right move at the time.

He wasn't a fit with the team
He had off ice issues
His weaknesses had seen little improvement

Would you rather trade one of Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, or Marchand to keep him around? Don't think so.

They got Loui Eriksson, a player that caused CDC users mouths to froth and wanted Vancouver to trade for him so badly, a young top 6 forward in Smith. Bottom 6 prospect in Fraser, and a potential top 4 D in Morrow.

I really don't see how Boston wouldn't pull that trade off.. It's too bad that Loui just hasn't found his game yet.

Im not going to fart all over this hiring as I hope Benning does this team well. But on the Seguin deal:

http://hockeyjournal.com/news/bruins/The_life_of_Reilly-_Smith_steps_up_for_Bruins

“We didn’t know we were going to move Tyler until after the season. (GM) Pete (Chiarelli) was doing all his work behind the scenes and with the cap and everything. You have to be ready as scouts when your GM comes to you to ask questions about other teams’ players, and what our likes and dislikes are. That was the case with Dallas. You’ve got to be ready for every team. We have a book on every team. Between (assistant GM) Jim Benning, Donny, Pete and myself, we go over certain scenarios. We have an A plan, a B plan, and I think Pete was on top of it all along. You have to give a lot of credit to him.”

Bradley and crew were very keen on making sure Smith was part of the package that headed Boston’s way in the swap.

“It was a major desire that he was one of the pieces of the puzzle,” said Bradley, who’s been part of Boston’s staff for over two decades. “You don’t give a player away of Tyler’s stature, caliber and potential without getting potential back. We saw the potential in Reilly as a group. Adam Creighton, Donny Sweeney, Jim Benning. We work pretty closely on that front. Pete takes everybody’s information and makes that decision.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/13602/behind-the-b-seguin-had-to-go

It also was obvious during the episode that the Bruins hockey operations staff believed there were “too many red flags” concerning forward Tyler Seguin and all agreed it was time to trade him.

At one point, assistant GM Jim Benning said, “We’re not babysitters.” He then added if Seguin gave the Bruins half of what the Blackhawks’ Patrick Kane gave Chicago, Boston would have won the Stanley Cup.

In the meantime, according to Mike Smith, fans dont look at the wrong stats necessarily and chances are there is no "...but...." to be added with any fancy analytics sideswing, seeing its rather obvious when you measure up Seguins performance last year to Patrick Kane

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2&team=&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary

People over think things way too much.

Just because Benning wanted Seguin gone doesn't mean that he conducted the actual trade.

Newsflash: Chiarelli called the other teams, not Benning. It clearly showed that in the movie.

Benning wasn't the only one on board with getting rid of Seguin.

People on this board speak of it as if it's like: "OH NO, BENNING TRADED SEGUIN!" Chiarelli makes the final decisions imo.

People over think things way too much.

Just because Benning wanted Seguin gone doesn't mean that he conducted the actual trade.

Newsflash: Chiarelli called the other teams, not Benning. It clearly showed that in the movie.

Benning wasn't the only one on board with getting rid of Seguin.

People on this board speak of it as if it's like: "OH NO, BENNING TRADED SEGUIN!" Chiarelli makes the final decisions imo.

I guess if you are a slob in Switzerland, you're also one in Boston?

http://www.thelocal.ch/20130108/nhl-star-playing-in-switzerland-branded-a-slob

“The parquet floor was littered with coins worth 220 francs,” Blick reported.

Coca-cola bottles, garbage and dirty linen lay scattered across the floor, while rotten bananas were left on a table, the newspaper said.

The bathroom was a shambles and the cleaning company spent a full day tidying the apartment.

In December, when Seguin returned to America, the staff were met with a similar stiff challenge.

Blick said the hockey player was “not versed in appliances” and as a result tried to wash his clothes in the dryer.

“He also did not know how to operate the dishwasher . . . when he ran out of clean plates, glasses and cutlery, he bought plastic tableware.”

Marc Lüpold, the managing director of the cleaning company, was diplomatic about the revelations.

“You could tell it was the first time a young, single man had an apartment,” Lüpold told Blick.

Archived