The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

The ones who stay the course (the fans that is) through these rough times are the fans who earn the respect of diehard fans. That's when we see who the band-wagoners really are. As someone who got royally pissed off when Jack Gordon traded Neely for what essentially turned out to be a lacklustre Barry Pederson; I could have jumped ship then, but didn't and stayed the course through. Seen three cup runs all unsuccessful, but I'm still a Canucks fan through and through and will be till my last breath. We've seen a lot of ups and downs since the Canucks came into this league in 1970. But the Jim Benning hiring to me seems to be the first step towards turning the corner. And I welcome it with open arms.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait till the draft. :bigblush::towel:

There were a lot of 'hard times' in the past .. I remember the disappointment when it turned out Pederson was injured .. self-induced vomiting over Keenan/Messier .. the sadness over Wayne Maki, Luc, Pavel and Ryp .. RIP.

Perhaps our time to shine will come, and soon.

I don't think that Benning will want to trade Edler.

It was reported that the Bruin's had a trade deadline deal for Edler ready to go, but it fell through.

I am sure that Benning would have had his input on that trade.

I don't see how he would want to acquire Edler when he was on the Bruin's and then when he becomes GM of the Canucks he would want to trade him, that makes no sense.

I don't think that Benning will want to trade Edler.

It was reported that the Bruin's had a trade deadline deal for Edler ready to go, but it fell through.

I am sure that Benning would have had his input on that trade.

I don't see how he would want to acquire Edler when he was on the Bruin's and then when he becomes GM of the Canucks he would want to trade him, that makes no sense.

Then Benning has to go.

There were a lot of 'hard times' in the past .. I remember the disappointment when it turned out Pederson was injured .. self-induced vomiting over Keenan/Messier .. the sadness over Wayne Maki, Luc, Pavel and Ryp .. RIP.

Perhaps our time to shine will come, and soon.

I don't quite go back as far as you do—only moved to BC back in 1980 when I was a kid. I do remember the first Cup run and the excitement surrounding it, but I was too young to really know much about the subtleties of the game. Still, since that time, I've stuck with the team through good times and bad; and now that I'm older, I realize that every franchise goes through ebbs and flows.

I'd love to be wrong, but I do think we're in a downturn. Benning is a good step in the right direction, but I think it'll be a few years before we really see a Canucks team with his fingerprints on it, longer for that team to become a genuine contender again.

The Booth and Luongo deals come to mind,amongst others.

Ballard, Booth, Luongo to FLA, C. Schneider to NJD, M. Schneider, Ehrhoff to NYI, just a line of bad trades. Some good ones. But bad trades outweigh the good trades ever slightly, but with the parity in today's NHL, one bad trade can mean years of mediocrity.

The Booth and Luongo deals come to mind,amongst others.

You mean the booth deal where we ditched two old players and also picked up a 3rd which we used to draft Cassels, I'd make that deal any day. even with Booth going through the injuries. Prior to his knee injury he was on pace to put up 20 goals in 60 games.

Sedin - Sedin - _____

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Jensen

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Santorelli

Unfortunately your 2 top line players are the very one's that sucked last year..lol !Let's hope to God you're wrong and their will be several new faces on the top 2 lines,or we're in for another bad season.Let us also hope Tort's description of the core does NOT go unheeded.

Ballard, Booth, Luongo to FLA, C. Schneider to NJD, M. Schneider, Ehrhoff to NYI, just a line of bad trades. Some good ones. But bad trades outweigh the good trades ever slightly, but with the parity in today's NHL, one bad trade can mean years of mediocrity.

the Luongo and Schneider trade are way too early to tell and Luongo forced Gillis to move Schneider during the draft then Luongo got pissy and wanted to move again when another goalie outplayed him he gets what he wants and screws the team again he could of easily accepted a trade during the draft Schneider got moved instead he was stubborn and would only accept a trade to Florida so he doesn't have to deal with the spot light because he couldn't handle anymore

end rant

Canucks got Booth for some retired scraps end of story i would do that trade any day of the week and so would a lot of other GM's

Ehrhoff wasn't signing for what Gillis proposed so he traded his rights for whatever he could get

Ballard is the only bad trade out of the bunch that is proven and even then that was on the coach

the Luongo and Schneider trade are way too early to tell and Luongo forced Gillis to move Schneider during the draft then Luongo got pissy and wanted to move again when another goalie outplayed him he gets what he wants and screws the team again he could of easily accepted a trade during the draft Schneider got moved instead he was stubborn and would only accept a trade to Florida so he doesn't have to deal with the spot light because he couldn't handle anymore

end rant

Canucks got Booth for some retired scraps end of story i would do that trade any day of the week and so would a lot of other GM's

Ehrhoff wasn't signing for what Gillis proposed so he traded his rights for whatever he could get

Ballard is the only bad trade out of the bunch that is proven and even then that was on the coach

There a lot of wrong with your rant above...

It's also the fact that the media know not to mess with Linden because of his respect level in this city.

They try and tarnish Linden like they did with other GMs, they might as well find a new city to work in.

:lol::lol:

Wasn't laughing at your post DeNiro.....I'm just trying to imagine Botch and Gallagher being less popular in this market... :lol:

It's not "proven" at all. This past season, Ballard put up similar numbers to those he put up in Vancouver. His main problem was that he is a left handed shot who struggles to play the right side.

It wasn't going to be an issue when he was acquired, because Hamhuis had not yet signed and there was no guarantee that he would. Ballard's had to deal with injuries immediately after arriving in Vancouver and was unable to supplant Hamhuis or Edler on the left side, which meant bottom pairing minutes and a mandate to play a defensively responsible style, something that he also struggled with.

It was felt at times by the coaching staff that the team was better off with a less dynamic, but more reliable option on the third pairing, which was why he was sometimes scratched for Aaron Rome.

To anyone watching at the time, who has an understanding of the position, the coaching staff made the correct decision.

There is literally nothing wrong with anything he said actually. All of it is based on fact.

the Luongo and Schneider trade are way too early to tell: fact.

Luongo forced Gillis to move Schneider during the draft: how did Luongo "force" Gillis to move Schneider? The market was bare, the new CBA called for a retraction in cap space, Florida did not have new willing spender ownership.

then Luongo got pissy and wanted to move again when another goalie outplayed him: Luongo was surprised to be moved. Again, you don't risk a Luongo injury in the process of trade discussion. Lack plays the Heritage Classic.

he gets what he wants and screws the team again: how did Luongo "screw the team again"? I think Gillis pooched that one... Luongo didn't trade himself, and was caught off guard.

he could of easily accepted a trade during the draft Schneider got moved instead: non fact. Florida wasn't interested at the time. The goalie market was bare and Luongo's "contract sucks".

he was stubborn and would only accept a trade to Florida: known fact

so he doesn't have to deal with the spot light because he couldn't handle anymore: assumption. The other, more well known assumption is, Luongo wanted to go back home to his family.

So yes, there's a lot of wrong with the dude's post.

Archived