The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

If Trotz is hired, I hope the Canucks look at acquiring Ward from Washington.

He'd be a great addition to the second line IMO. Put up 25 goals last season and comes cheap at 3 million. He played great under Trotz too, especially in the playoffs.

I thought Ward was awesome in 2011 against us. Seemed like he was in on many chances against us. Seemed to regress after taking the money and running to Wash but he is now having a great WHC and getting to know Bieksa would prove beneficial. What could we get him for? Cap dump? Trade our dead weight for him? Bottom line is that he would be great for us

Cheering for the goal, not the player. We'd still hate the player.

Off topic: Did the fans ever not cheer when Messier scored a goal? Like, when it was obviously Messier who got the goal?

Everyone loved the Messier move at the time. It was not until the damage was well done that the fans started feeling jipped.

Jim Benning never speared other players in the crotch, skated right through a goalie, or utter death threats during the handshake line. JB joining the Canucks is nothing like Lucic joining the Canucks.

He didn't necessarily condemn those types of actions on his way to a Cup as an assistant...

I'm pretty sure that 29 teams would be scrambling for the phones if Lucic was to be made available, including Benning himself.

Everyone loved the Messier move at the time. It was not until the damage was well done that the fans started feeling jipped.

Good God, man .. were you even 'here' then? .. many of US almost burned our "I Wanna Be A Canuck" card .. Messier's 'reign' was one of absolute revulsion for a lot of 'fans', from Day One.

Good God, man .. were you even 'here' then? .. many of US almost burned our "I Wanna Be A Canuck" card .. Messier's 'reign' was one of absolute revulsion for a lot of 'fans', from Day One.

Can't even look at a bag of Lays without feeling a little sick to this day.

hope trotz signs on in wash. then we they can look forward to finding a coach that fits the style of this team without have to "change"

15 season as a d-first trapping coach. blame the team blame the players whatever, Trotz is and will always be a trap coach and i truly hope we don't see (endure) him in vancouver.hockey is suppose to be entertaining the way trotz has coached for the past decade is anything but entertaining.

go get him washington...

hope trotz signs on in wash. then we they can look forward to finding a coach that fits the style of this team without have to "change"

15 season as a d-first trapping coach. blame the team blame the players whatever, Trotz is and will always be a trap coach and i truly hope we don't see (endure) him in vancouver.hockey is suppose to be entertaining the way trotz has coached for the past decade is anything but entertaining.

go get him washington...

AV, Carlyle, Hitchcock, and Julien were all considered "trap" coaches.

Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, and Pat Burns were "trap" coaches too.

I don't think anyone would turn down 3 Stanley Cups though if that's the style that won for us. The only style of hockey anyone should care about is the one that wins us a cup.

Actually Radulov was suspended one game by the team for breaking curfew. He was out drinking with Kostitsyn till 5am with an afternoon game on the same day. After that if I remember correctly the Preds won a game and Trotz never put them back in again. If it had just been sulking, the Preds could have handled it but when a player blatantly breaks team rules in the worst possible way you have no choice but to suspend him. This was the most crucial moment for the Preds in half a decade as they knew their window would pretty much slam shut after Suter left.

I have no sympathy for Radulov, he is one of the worst players of this generation simply because he made it pretty obvious that he had no desire to win. I would not be surprised if the only reason he came back was because his season in the KHL was over and he simply saw an opportunity to burn a year off his RFA eligibility. For me it has nothing to do with his nationality or the fact that he chose the KHL over the NHL. I don't hate Kovalchuk who I think is fantastic player, Radulov on the other hand is the kind of scum that I would never want on my team.

Good riddance to him.

I forgot that was the reason for his pressbox duties. His attitude was really poor, considering he played Jr Hockey in North America, which must have made him aware of how much the SC playoffs mean.

The dude messed up for sure, in time. However, the prospect of signing Messier to play with Mogilny and Bure, at the time was seen as a stroke of genius. However short lived.

Then came the C event.

Linden traded to NYI for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd (Ruutu).

McCabe and 1st '00 (FLA from Bure trade) for 1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall)

1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall), two 3rd picks to TBL for 1st '99 (TBL)

1st '99 (TBL) to Atlanta for 2nd overall (ATL)

Canucks pick 2nd '99 (Daniel), 3rd overall (Henrik)

Bertuzzi, Allen, Auld to FLA for Luongo, Kraijcek, 6th selection

Luongo to FLA for Matthias, Markstrom.

The Messier event is still paying off dividend.

In hindsight, Messier isn't so bad...

AV, Carlyle, Hitchcock, and Julien were all considered "trap" coaches.

Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, and Pat Burns were "trap" coaches too.

I don't think anyone would turn down 3 Stanley Cups though if that's the style that won for us. The only style of hockey anyone should care about is the one that wins us a cup.

What I say here on this forum everyday....

As long as hiring Benning isn't followed by signing a washed up Chara and having him steal the C away from Henrick (we already traded away Luongo). (Keenan -> Messier era was a very bad time as a Canucks fan)

I'm looking forward to a new era and a new coach soon.

I'll take Chara any day. As for the C, it is Captain Henrik.

The dude messed up for sure, in time. However, the prospect of signing Messier to play with Mogilny and Bure, at the time was seen as a stroke of genius. However short lived.

Then came the C event.

Linden traded to NYI for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd (Ruutu).

McCabe and 1st '00 (FLA from Bure trade) for 1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall)

1st '99 (CHI - 4th overall), two 3rd picks to TBL for 1st '99 (TBL)

1st '99 (TBL) to Atlanta for 2nd overall (ATL)

Canucks pick Daniel and Henrik.

Bertuzzi, Allen, Auld to FLA for Luongo, Kraijcek, 6th selection

The Messier event is still paying off dividend.

In hindsight, Messier isn't so bad...

Messier had train wreck written all over it. Between his ego and Iron Mike's tactics, hockey in Vancouver was one of the lowest ebbs its ever been on. In hindsight, Messier was really bad....

Yea id die for oates to come and be trotz assistant.

Our prospects could do nothing but turn into gold.

Except that Oates needs a lot of work on learning how to develop talent. His track record, albeit small sample size in Washington, is not exactly glowing.

Oates would be a great assistant but I think he will look for head coach duties before taking an assistant role again (maybe he goes to Carolina / Nashville etc) If it gets late in the summer and there just aren't hc jobs out there that interest him (not sure what his stance is on going over seas etc) then maybe he takes an assistant role

Except that Oates needs a lot of work on learning how to develop talent. His track record, albeit small sample size in Washington, is not exactly glowing.

Trotz and Gulutzan would be the development guys.

Oates would be the guy that gets the Sedins playing creative hockey again. Which in turn would help our powerplay out.

I still have a feeling that Desjardins is the guy they're targeting as an assistant though. His ability to develop young players, and his history with Gulutzan go along ways.

Archived