The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Considering they're at the combine this week, no.

Exactly.

As much as I would love to see us hire a new coach and get that settled sooner rather than later, I'm more excited by a GM that seems to really know what he's talking about when it comes to prospects. He's doing exactly what we need him to be doing right now.

Exactly.

As much as I would love to see us hire a new coach and get that settled sooner rather than later, I'm more excited by a GM that seems to really know what he's talking about when it comes to prospects. He's doing exactly what we need him to be doing right now.

I'm sure they are working day and night on all aspects right now.

Their minds will never be switched off on any subject.

I'm sure they are working day and night on all aspects right now.

Their minds will never be switched off on any subject.

For sure. But, I'm also sure they know how to prioritize and focus. I'm sure they're discussing who they want to interview/re-interview for the coaching position and having those appointments set up for when they return, just as when they return they'll probably have more discussions about which players they liked and why. It's not about ignoring a topic, just where their main focus is and right now I hope that's on the combine.

Go behind the scenes as we follow Jim Benning during his first 48 hours as the new Vancouver Canucks General Manager.

LOL! Road-tripping to the Combine! Toronto get ready! These jay-walkin' good ol' boys aren't always this buttoned-up....but they'll do the hard work, have fun & get along very, very well!

Yea Benning/Linden era is just too legit.

Linden is a pretty modest dude...with all the money he's got, he's driving a Cadillac SRX that any middle class dude or dudette can lease. Love that about Linden. Benning comes across as a quiet, efficient, understated, hard-working guy...great personality traits shared between Linden and Benning.

Though I wonder how long it will take them to have their patience tried by the inane questions the local media will throw their way.

For sure. But, I'm also sure they know how to prioritize and focus. I'm sure they're discussing who they want to interview/re-interview for the coaching position and having those appointments set up for when they return, just as when they return they'll probably have more discussions about which players they liked and why. It's not about ignoring a topic, just where their main focus is and right now I hope that's on the combine.

No doubt.

I'm sure if I was in their shoes right now I'd have a hard time sleeping.

What a laugh. In 2011 Gillis could not get enough kudos from Canuck fans. How the mighty have fallen.

I wish AV good luck at getting his CUP. That said I do not think Willie Mitchell can win enough CUPs as long as it is not against the Canucks.

The Canucks appear to be in good hands so we move on. 20 years have gone by since the '94 playoffs when the NYR stole the CUP from Vancouver. Messier will always be a jerk and Linden a god.

What a laugh. In 2011 Gillis could not get enough kudos from Canuck fans. How the mighty have fallen.

I wish AV good luck at getting his CUP. That said I do not think Willie Mitchell can win enough CUPs as long as it is not against the Canucks.

The Canucks appear to be in good hands so we move on. 20 years have gone by since the '94 playoffs when the NYR stole the CUP from Vancouver. Messier will always be a jerk and Linden a god.

It would be interesting to get a frank response from JB regarding what he thinks of the overall state of the franchise.

Many of the Gillis haters here might be surprised - from what he has stated, and I don't take his comments as PR or politicking, he likes the core, likes the prospect pool, and why shouldn't he? Benning has clearly stated that he thinks the franchise can be turned around quickly - and by the sounds of that, a great deal of it has to do with utilizing depth, playing a suitable style and a four line game - which comes down to coaching far more than it does to Gillis - who left this franchise in a much healthier position imo than the general perception on these boards.

It would be interesting to get a frank response from JB regarding what he thinks of the overall state of the franchise.

Many of the Gillis haters here might be surprised - from what he has stated, and I don't take his comments as PR or politicking, he likes the core, likes the prospect pool, and why shouldn't he? Benning has clearly stated that he thinks the franchise can be turned around quickly - and by the sounds of that, a great deal of it has to do with utilizing depth, playing a suitable style and a four line game - which comes down to coaching far more than it does to Gillis - who left this franchise in a much healthier position imo than the general perception on these boards.

Gillis was the devil!! :frantic: *rabble, rabble*

Gillis was the devil!! :frantic: *rabble, rabble*

I appreciate Benning's comments - I think he's a straight shooter - it would be the easy thing to come in and emphasize how much work there is to do before the team can be competitive, or suggest that things are in a state of disarray, but he hasn't done that. I don't take him to be the type to insulate himself or buy time like that - he's being straight up imo in saying that he thinks the team will be / expects the team to be back in the playoffs next year. I agree with him - the right coach and a move or two and I think the team is well positioned.

I appreciate Benning's comments - I think he's a straight shooter - it would be the easy thing to come in and emphasize how much work there is to do before the team can be competitive, or suggest that things are in a state of disarray, but he hasn't done that. I don't take him to be the type to insulate himself or buy time like that - he's being straight up imo in saying that he thinks the team will be / expects the team to be back in the playoffs next year. I agree with him - the right coach and a move or two and I think the team is well positioned.

You're doing it wrong :P

Archived