The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pat Quinn open to joining Canucks

Strombone1

You're argueing word relations and effective titles are short and sweet.

Effective titles summarize the article without changing it's meaning. How short it is has very little to do with it being effective.

Did you ever play the telephone game? The first child starts with a phrase which is whispered to the next child and on and on until the last child. Often through mishearing something but also through misinterpretation potentially due to rephrasing, what the last child believes the whispered message to be is far different than the original.

The connotation of the words you use have their own meaning that might differ from the original statement. 'Relaxed' and 'lazy' really mean the same thing but they clearly paint a different picture of the subject, and good journalists titling a story realize that - and use it to their advantage if they aren't neutral. Semantics play a part as well.

It's fairly obvious from a number fo responses that people have either directly said the title's misleading or they've incorrectly interpreted it to mean that Pat Quinn is being hired by the Canucks.

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."-Groucho Marx

And Smyl.

Yes, but Smyl is less likely to need a mentor. Quinn's pretty much the ideal candidate for a mentoring position on any team regardless, and the fact that our rookie President respects his judgement so much makes it a no-brainer. Would be a hell of an announcement on his ROH night.

As a couple of you have said, Quinn in a Bowman-like advisor role is a no brainer for Linden as the new President.

Quinn's experience in Edmonton was due totally to an inept team and an incompetent management that have had 4 coaches in as many years.

Trevor hired for either of those positions: NA

Trevor Linden hired as President of Hockey Operations of the Vancouver Canucks.

Linden will be responsible for "all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations."

Experience: N/A

Trevor Linden hired as President of Hockey Operations of the Vancouver Canucks.

Linden will be responsible for "all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations."

Experience: N/A

That I agree with (just the Pres part)!

It is ironic that Mike Gillis was trying to recreate a team to beat the Bruins after the 2011 finals and now the team seems to be moving that way by firing him and hiring Linden, much like Boston did when it hired Neely.

I would be very happy with Quinn advising Linden. I am already stoked for next season.

Amazing how much some personnel change can attract some of the "old boys club."

I supported MG but I'm loving LINDEN as pres!

So Linden makes peace with Bure and hires him as the skating coach? God knows the Canucks need one... Look at what it did for Booth...

Pat Quinn as a potential special advisor to Trevor? It makes so much sense. He'd be there to guide Trev through things and could help evaluate many things within the franchise.

Bowman to Bowman style in Chicago.

The heavens are opening up for us!

absolutely .. i can't believe that aqua man didn't want to at least bring him in as advisor to the owner .. he's a respected and revered gentleman in this game .. he could be a big help getting great deals done .. at least gms might pick up the phone now

Yeah, good call. Quinn would probably be best served as senior advisor.

Personally, as much as I love Linden being back, I'd have preferred to hire Bob Nicholson as Pres, Linden (or Smyl) as GM, and Quinn as senior advisor to GM/Pres. Quinn has good hockey knowledge, but he's getting over the hill to handle all the heavy lifting.

Archived