The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pat Quinn open to joining Canucks

Strombone1

Not all teams however were in the same boat. Most of the teams that improved drastically the last two years were not cap spending teams. Most cap spending teams that did improve were only able to do so due to ready prospects on ELC's contributing. Other cap spending teams, including the Canucks, understandably regressed.

As for the not having ready prospects, some of that certainly falls on management. But largely that's due to the previous management regime and the fact that our best contending years 2011/2012 were RIGHT before the lockout and reduced cap. Those are the years that you're supposed to spend youth towards making a run (which we did) but it also hurt us a LOT more when we didn't have those assets to start stepping up the last two years in a reduced cap environment. He was largely a victim of bad timing/circumstance in that regard.

While I can agree with you in part, I believe that with gillis now gone, part two of the experiment to fix the team is done, part one being the first scapegoat AV, now gillis, and so the only thing left to change is some player personnel, we have to get younger, our aging core IMO will improve over this year but they will not get back to what they were three years ago and will continue to slide as do the majority of players as they get older, with exceptions. Hopefully with a younger group and a few veteran players left for leadership ,torts next year will be able to do some good, if not then Let him go.

this has really worked out for edmonton....

don't get me wrong...i like the idea but it could back fire...

whole problem with edmonton is failure to combine experience with youth... all youth in edmonton with very little experience... expect mistakes to be made and you need patience to learn with the mistakes... thats when you don't get experience with youth...

Linden and whoever our new GM will be also won't be saddled by a lockout and shrinking cap that largely prevented MG from making those required moves the last two years.

I don't buy it.

The CBA expires in 2012.

Everytime the CBA expires, Bettman locks the players out.

Everytime Bettman locks the players out, it's a giveback situation for the players and the cap goes down.

It's like looking at a calendar and not seeing winter coming.

It's Gillis' own fault he provided himself no flexibility to negotiate the cap decrease successfully.

If Quinn came in I'd rather he was in a role where he was advising and not making any decisions.

I know we'd like to get all nostalgic about the guy but really the best thing he ever did for Vancouver was fantastic PR.

He built a great team for '94 and then quite frankly nothing. Sound familiar? In terms of just the Job Pat Quinn wasn't really any different than MG. Built a team, made a cup run, lost in the finals, downward spiral.

Here's a recap of after the 94 run. Seem at all familiar to anybody? 3 years of ARGH after the 94 run until he was fired.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2010/7/19/1575892/the-decline-of-western

Bring him in as a sounding board for TL IMO. Somebody with experience who can smack him when he starts spiraling.

Tortorella made plenty of obvious mistakes this year. People can apologize for them until they are blue in the face and pretend that no one could have done a better job with this roster. I don't buy that for a second. I would not be so critical of him were it not for the fact that he seems to still be under the impression that none of these decisions, aside from attempting to bust into the opposition's locker room and start a fight with Hartley, was in fact not the best of decisions.

1) Edler faced the strongest quality of competition on the blueline and was perceived to be the prime shutdown guy.

2) Hamhuis was in the Tortorella doghouse to start the season.

3) Hansen spent less time killing penalties than the Sedins - and despite being one of the hardest working two way players on the team, was berated publicly by Tortorella, probably the first in a series of outbursts that started him down the path of losing his bench.

4) The Edler/Bieksa pairing - has never worked in the past - and is still trying to be forced by Tortorella down the stretch this season. Headscratcher.

5) Over-utilizing the top players in a gruelling Olympic compacted travel and play schedule which saw the team play 28 back to back games over the first 60 this season. How a three line approach was going to be sustainable was a mystery - and something that was stressed from day one. Nevertheless, Tortorella stubbornly proceeded as he saw fit regardless of the counsel of virtually everyone. He went with the approach from October. He later actually fired the opening shots over the bow in claiming a lack of depth forced his hand - a clear displacement of responsibility onto his GM. Later citing injuries doesn't quite sell when the approach was taken from day 1 of the season. Gillis is credited with throwing his coach under the bus with his comments about departing from a style of play he wanted to see, but that actually came after Tortorella publicly referencing a lack of depth as forcing his hand. Tortorella continued to defend his three line approach in the interview where he doesn't really respond to Gillis gameplanning/style/systems concerns but calls them "internal" issues. Depth, then, should also be considered an issue to discuss internally with your GM.

6) Attempting to bust into the opposition locker room and getting yourself suspended? Enough said - obviously a huge lack of self-control and judgement there. His passion is not the problem most of us have - it's harnessing it in a positive direction that is still an issue.

7) Berating Hansen, Edler, Jensen on the bench - incidents broadcasted for all of us to witness - goes to point 6. We don't expect players to be treated like shrinking violets, but at the same time, there is a reasonable concern with a loss of control and judgement there - and whether the effect on player's confidence and performance is actually productive or counterproductive.

8) A loss of effectiveness where interventions and adjustments are concerned. Before Christmas - used timeouts and line changes very effectively. After new years, lost this tool entirely, and moreover, the line juggling got to the point where it's effectiveness no longer seemed to make the tactical sense it had earlier in the season. The coach seemed strategically and visibly at a loss.

9) The "stiffness" factor, something that Tortorella sold strongly - arguably reached an all time worst - and is not necessarily as surprising and unpredictable as it might appear. A team that was extremely adept at locking down third period leads in the past - became as fragile as it had ever been, seeing some of the worst and regular third period meltdowns in it's history. Instead of a stronger backbone, Tortorella's approach almost appeared to weaken or even break the confidence of the team.

10) Getting the best out of players and putting them in situational contexts to utilize their strengths would appear to be the primary job of a coach. Playing a style of game suitable to the personnel a coach has - pretty much a hallmark of good coaching. Obviously, very few players lived up to their potential this year - Higgins, the youngsters and the bargain UFA signings had good seasons - aside from them, disappointment accross the board, and regardless of how you want to explain it - it is a results oriented business, one that cost AV his job because the team did not live up to expectations in the LA and SJ series.

This year, they did not even make the playoffs.

I don't dislike Tortorealla - as I've said elsewhere, he actually grew on me more than I had expected - but the reality is that if you look at the contexts, it's hard not to give him a fail this year - if you look at the results, it goes without saying that this season was a failure. If we are in fact losing our patience with excuses, then I'm not sure how we come up with enough to excuse the ineffective coaching we all witnessed.

On top of that, it's hard to imagine both ownership backtracking on their comments that Gillis was fired because of Tortorella, or to see how Tortorella is supposed to deal with that fairly high profile indictment of the job he did. I feel kind of bad for Tortorella - on top of his stubborn approach seeming to backfire considerably, conditions also conspired against him somewhat - the injuries were extreme, and in the context of that stubborn approach - he had an extra challenge in a travel and play schedule that was even more compacted and gruelling than normal. However, he apparently didn't only not heed the cautions, even in hindsight he doesn't see his approach as problematic. That does not lend confidence to the possibility of improvement. All in all, I think this just did not and is not likely to work - and the last thing this fanbase has tolerance for is the idea that the Keenan approach of remaking a franchise to suit it's one manager is somehow an acceptable approach. The hiring of Linden, ironically, the person perhaps most disrespected in the Keenan ear, hopefully cements that nothing resembling that will recur.

Great post, ON. Apparently Quinn, Sather and Linden agree with many of your points, especially the part about wearing down the players and not utilizing them effectively.

In a thread about Pat Quinn....

Anyway, it doesn't matter. It just seemed like a dick move to reply to a guy who said he didn't see the finale with the ending.

Then don't bloody ask about it, or use it as an example.... You were asking for it you know, if it's that important, as soon as the conversation heads that direction, go somewhere else... Do you blame your table if you stub your toe or your car if it runs over a nail and pops a tire?

9) The "stiffness" factor, something that Tortorella sold strongly - arguably reached an all time worst - and is not necessarily as surprising and unpredictable as it might appear. A team that was extremely adept at locking down third period leads in the past - became as fragile as it had ever been, seeing some of the worst and regular third period meltdowns in it's history. Instead of a stronger backbone, Tortorella's approach almost appeared to weaken or even break the confidence of the team.

I thought you were going somewhere else with "the stiffness factor." No pun intended.

Not that I disagree, at all, with your point.

I saw the LA game late in Dec (was it early Jan) as the turning point in Torts season. The one where he worked everyone up into a tizzy to exact retribution for Brown running Lou (and no one settling the score then) the previous game. He wanted that "stiffness" and compete to reflect that we stand up for each other. Not that I disagree with that concept either.

Problem is he let it get away from him. We played a great game, Kassian challenged Brown on the opening draw and Kesler ultimately beat him up. (That was a nice surprise, Kess is not a great fighter). The game we lost, but won a "moral victory." It did not turn out that way. The next night against Anaheim, suddenly we thought were the broad street bullies. We got absolutely SPANKED! We took 16 penalties including 4 misconducts, 73 minutes total, absorbed 6 power play goals against and lost 9-1. So much for moral victories...

Then it spiralled. Next we went into Phoenix still playing tough to show opponents we were not to be taken lightly. And lack of discipline cost is that game as well. We took 10 penalties and lost. Then came THE Calgary game. Hartley in a cunning evil plan, decided to show us we were not all that as a fighting team either. It wasn't just that Torts went berzerk. We got beat up then went back to our room to feel sorry for ourselves. The team was totally out of focus and lost its sense of compete the next ten games.

And I can't recall a fight of any kind during that stretch, an obvious sign?

This included a lack of any kind of response the next time we played Phoenix; when Hanzal knocked Booth, Santorelli (for the season) and Hank out of the line up. The fight in our game was gone, and its no surprise we did not recover the season from there. I guess MoJo comes and goes.

Some will tell you any good relationship balance depends on "stiffness" at the right time... :rolleyes:

Torts has just had to grasp different ways to find what he was looking for I guess? :bigblush:

In any case it certainly reflects that Torts first had the team hyper worked up, and losing games because they were out of control and undisciplined. Then we went into a funk, got too low mentally and were not competing. And continued losing.

Torts lost the the room!

If Quinn came in I'd rather he was in a role where he was advising and not making any decisions.

I know we'd like to get all nostalgic about the guy but really the best thing he ever did for Vancouver was fantastic PR.

He built a great team for '94 and then quite frankly nothing. Sound familiar? In terms of just the Job Pat Quinn wasn't really any different than MG. Built a team, made a cup run, lost in the finals, downward spiral.

Here's a recap of after the 94 run. Seem at all familiar to anybody? 3 years of ARGH after the 94 run until he was fired.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2010/7/19/1575892/the-decline-of-western

Bring him in as a sounding board for TL IMO. Somebody with experience who can smack him when he starts spiraling.

My thoughts exactly, plus he lends some cache' to the Canucks position when they talk to the 'NHL-suits' ..

Then don't bloody ask about it, or use it as an example.... You were asking for it you know, if it's that important, as soon as the conversation heads that direction, go somewhere else... Do you blame your table if you stub your toe or your car if it runs over a nail and pops a tire?

I didn't enter the conversation until after the spoiler. Nice try though.

Archived